Thread: Surviving Cold Misty Rain

Default Surviving Cold Misty Rain

This past weekend I decided to test myself with a refresher winter survival weekend. In Mississippi we don't have long periods of time when the weather is below freezing during high temp. Well the past weekend the high was going to be in the low 30s and the low was in the teens with wind chill possible in the single digets. I figured it would be perfect. So I packed up and headed to the local trail. A easy flat terrain 12 mile hike. When I pulled up to the trail head and exited my truck the cold misty rain started to fall and all I had in my pack was a weak poncho, water, food, basic gear, and my clothing and sleeping bag wasn't suitable for being wet. And truth be told after working all week and feeling that cold rain on my neck I didn't much feel like a miserable cold wet hike so I headed home and joined my family in a movie night by the fireplace. But to be honest I feel ashamed about not going through with it. I know several members here struggle through frezzing wet winter more so than I. What are some of yalls suggestions.
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 01-12-2015 at 12:18 PM.

I suggest you did the right thing. You went there expecting freezing temperatures and snow but instead got rain. You weren't geared for the rain so you went home. Smart move in my opinion. No point in trying to tough it out if it is only going to make for a miserable time. Besides a family movie night by the fireplace doesn't sound too bad

Surviving is done when you have to...not when you want to.
    Would have been a test for sure....and would have given you ideas on what was important.....but not fun.
    Discursion is the better part of valor......or....Use you head.

Ya done good.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks guys. I feel I did the smart thing but the whole point of the trip was to refresh my winter skills. We don't have many open weekends to do so. Although my family and I did have a fun night together. I feel I may have missed my one chance this year for a good winter test.

You go to the woods or where ever to enjoy the peace and tranquility. If you want to test gear at the same time that's all well and good. Not doing the hike for whatever reason is no reason to feel bad. Do what you want. I notice you referred to your poncho as "weak" so perhaps you learned something you are overlooking.

It is weak poncho. It wasy first Army issued poncho. It's not even camo anymore and building a lean to with it is fine as long as it's not raining cause it is horrible about building condensation now

Discretion being the better part of valor, you did the right thing. Testing gear and oneself is fine, but to purposely put yourself in harms way is fool hardy IMO. If you want to test the cheap poncho or sleeping bag - fine.....just have a backup that has already been through the test.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have sleeping bag system built the the wet weather beavy and a new poncho but the weather called for just a cold clear weekend. But that's how it is here. Really unpredictable. Like today we had a 70% chance of rain and cold but we haven't had a drop and it's 64 outside

Banned

Default Cold and Wet, old gear, => bad sucky times ahead

"Cold and Wet" is about the worst, the quality of your gear becomes critical. Healthy body temp is 98.6F but at about 96.6F your body begins to go into a downward spiral that is difficult to recover from (hypothermia) so that tiny 2F degree drop accelerated by the moisture increasing heat transfer out of your body really "sucks" pun intended.

I prefer a good military poncho over even Frogg Toggs because the body's own moisture can more easily escape and they are more versatile. Check around at local shops and online some places sell them for excessively high prices. If you pitch a tent on the ground obviously find high ground and dig a trench on high side to divert water if necessary. I have seen people with plenty of military training not do this when heavy precipitation was possible. I have a "few" friends who will not bail out even in severly inclement weather, but most never show up in these conditions. Without proper gear it is very foolish IMO.

I'm in agreement with the other folks, you did the right thing.
    I know you are disappointed, but your family would be even more so if you came back home chilled to the bone and became sick.
    I will on occasion test myself, but it is strictly on my terms. If things become too harsh, I step away.
    I'm sure you will have the chance again, just use the same good judgement you have already displayed.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I know next time I won't be lazy and remove my good military poncho and sleep system from my large ruck and take with me instead of trying the easy way. My mistake I believe was improper planning of gear and trusting the news on the weather.

The best way to deal with cold misty rain is to hole up until it passes.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I would put a wool liner (the removable lining from a Parka Jacket) on, then my fav trekmate rain jacket with the hood and pants on with my Sea To Summit Brim Hat on..if the wind still makes me feel a bit cold, my Sea to Summit Tarp poncho over the jacket..that should suffice , given the climate I am in.
    Oh yes, them waterproof boots..you ain't cold if you managed to stay dry....This will give me time to put my tarp up and then have a small fire going. Cook some water and have hot coffee....Heaven in the rain!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Wet wool is the pits. It becomes very heavy holding the water. You stay warm because the weave swells closed but think about how much water you are carrying.

Carrying wieght doesn't bother me. I'm in great shape and my basic three day pack is about 50 pounds. I think if I had this trip better prepared for unexpected situations it would have turned out differently.

It really isn't about whether you can carry the weight or not. The excess weight can cause you to sweat, which is a bad thing in cold climes. Doing so in a cold rain is a sure fire recipe for hypothermia. Your only solutions become ventilating, which allows the rain inside or sitting it out as Randy suggested. I don't hike with wool in winter for that reason. I prefer lighter, breathable fabrics that shed water. I carry a lightweight rain suit that fits over my clothes. Then the only thing I have to worry about is my boots, which I keep treated with Sno Seal. My jacket is a Lowe Alpine that has zippers beneath the upper arms. I can open the zippers and close the rain flaps and still vent without getting wet.

I agree with randyt.

Set up shelter, start a fire, and keep warm. You can set your tarp up as high as you can and keep your fire controlled so you can use it to shelter both you and your fire. Fires are tricky in super wet conditions but in no way impossible.

There's no cold quite like wet and cold, and a consistent misty rain can soak you right down to the skin like you wouldn't believe. I'm with everybody else on this one. Stay in til the rain stops, if you get caught out in it, get home as quick as you can, change absolutely everything you're wearing, and drink some hot sweet tea.

In terms of gear, insulated gumboots are going to be your friend. Back, a lot of people used to wear gumboots that were a tetch too large lined with duffel socks, spring and fall, and I tell you, I wish I had a pattern and knew where I could lay hands on some duffel. Or hiking boots that can really keep the water out, but I once got caught in a rainstorm , and I was wearing a gortex jacket and, indeed, hiking boots that normally kept my feet dry. what wound up happening was the it rained so hard the water ran down shins, and I still wound up with wet socks. Very wet socks. Turned out the boots kept water IN just as well as it kept water out.

Some times it doesn't mater how well you gear keep water out....or tent.

Spent a week of bow hunting on a canoe in camp site, 50's and pouring rain.

Good tent, good kitchen fly, fire burning kinda under the fly....kept fire going to dry wood to keep fire going etc.

After 5 days everything we owned was DAMP so as to not keep anything warm.

Cut trip short left of Friday instead of Sunday.
    Packed up everything into the "Lets' get the He!! out of here" snot ball and headed to a restaurant for warmth,.... hot food and drink.

Fell asleep eating a big bowl of bean soup......was so warm/hot in there.....LOL

The point is, no matter how well you gear sheds water....dampness will get you anyway, unless you have a heat source to dry things out.

And yeah,.... Was a vacation week at a time when I didn't have much...so we were "Gonna do it no matter what", so as to not waste the time staying home.
    Should have bailed out earlier.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

In the olden days LOL, folks kept holed up during a rain. I have mentioned this before but back in the 1880s my great grandpa was rained on and got pneumonia. A short time later he passed away at 38 year old. A cold rain is nothing to fool with.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?