Thread: Share your stories about storing gasoline

Default Share your stories about storing gasoline

Anyone here storing gasoline in plastic barrels? Any thoughts on this?

Nope. I only store in containers approved for gasoline storage. Here are some gas storage threads. You even started the first one.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=gas+storage

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nope and even talked the SIL out of it last week.
    He had a 30 gal barrel.....wanted to store gas for gen set.

So I had to point out......
    Plastic barrel.....30 gal @ about 6.5 pounds per gal or about 195 pounds plus barrel weight.

How you gonna lift it? carry it? store it? get fuel in? get fuel out?....
    What was in barrel?.....Clean it out?
    Plastic safe from melting from fuel?
    Spill containment?
    Treatment?.....and use after it's been around awhile.
    To say nothing about rules and safety.....Color and approved container.

Now as he had a lawn service and raced mud trucks.....must have 20- 5 gal gas containers around....Why not use them and rotate stock?

I wouldn't do it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I store my gasoline in 5 gallon Blitz cans.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I find that with two vehicles that I keep topped up I have 40 gallons on call in the vehicles. That can be drained and used in a generator if necessary.

I also have a 5 gallon container for the lawn mower.

Then there is the 5 gallon can of 2 cycle mix for the chain saw a weed eater.

and the other two cycle mix for the boat motors, in two 5 gallon cans one for each boat.

The 2 cycle mix would smoke a little but still work in the generator or the vehicles if necessary.

All totaled I come to nearly 60 gallons of fuel at any given time, which should be plenty unless one plans on fighting the eternal zombie horde from an armored vehicle platform.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Red plastic gas cans is what I use to store fuel, and I always put a little fuel stabilizer in it. Jerry Cans are good when you can come by them.

A strictly NO for me....I only carry two spare MSR fuel bottles in my saddlebag if I go riding and make sure they're empty when I get back home.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I have two 35 gallon barrels that were used for car wash soap (washed out). I have a barrel pump to use with them. I keep them out at the back of my property. I would rather not do this but last winters blizzard taught me not to be left unprepared.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I have about 3 5 gallon and 1 2.5 red plastic gas cans from when I used to have to haul my own heating fuel. I used them once in the last couple of years when a friend ran out of heating fuel a few days before pay day. Other then that, they are under the deck...empty. Although with the way gas prices are dropping here in Alaska, I may go fill them up with gas.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You might have something there 1TS.

Gas here is below $2 a gallon, so any empty fuel cans need filling now with some stabilizer added.

I can not imagine that the prices will go any lower, which only leave the opposite direction, which has always been the case in the past.

Growing up on $0.25 (twenty-five cents) per gallon gas ruined me for life.

and no, I do not make 20X what I did back then!

Inflation hit everything but my paycheck.

That is why I was into "self sufficiency" before anyone knew it was cool. Back then they just called it "broke and making do."
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I used to store gasoline in 5 gallon plastic jugs and usually no more than one or two. However, using my Polaris sxs to plow snow, I am using more gasoline now. I found a 14 gallon gasoline plastic container , with wheels, a long hose with a filling attachment and brass valves. I think these were origionally intender for use around marinas for filling boat fuel tanks out of reach of a conventional fuel pump. I have it mounted on a shelf between the two garage doors and use Seafoam gas stabilizer when I take it to the gas station to refill it. I really would prefer NOT to store gasoline in my garage but with 3 to 5 ft of snow on the ground, accessability becomes an issue. So far this has worked our fine. I can pull up the UTV outside the garage and the fill hose is long enough to reach out the garage door. It also means I do not have to take cans to the gas station as often (I live near a Indain reservation that operates a gas station with CHEAP gas! it was $1.81 a gallon last night)

Just a reminder to fill your cans on the ground and not sitting on the tailgate of your truck. Static electricity can build up just from the fuel being dispensed and ignite the fuel. Plastic or metal doesn't matter.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/

Not so much gasoline but with fuel prices dropping, I'm thinking about getting my 500 gallon propane tank filled. I have the equipment to transfer from the big tank to other tanks.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have brought it up before......and may only work in a rural "farm" setting.......But the local fuel guy out at "The Place" will bring out a 200 gal bulk tank and stand, with delivery hose to your "farm".

Not sure what volume is needed....but the tank is just borrowed.

I have about a dozen red 2 1/2 gallon cans. I've been wanting to go to the Military Surplus and get a half dozen Army Jerry Cans to save space and have the water tight seal.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have brought it up before......and may only work in a rural "farm" setting.......But the local fuel guy out at "The Place" will bring out a 200 gal bulk tank and stand, with delivery hose to your "farm".

Not sure what volume is needed....but the tank is just borrowed.

There is a place like that around here. You rent the tank from him and they start at 50$ a year to 500$ a year. Depending on the size of the storage tank. And when you run out just cal him and he will fill it up for you. But he only delivers off-road diesel. And his fuel prices are lower than the co-op so most farmers go with him. Too bad he won't do unleaded.

If you have a USDA Farmer Number (need to satisfy requirements).......You can get Farm tags for a diesel vehicle (need to satisfy requirements) .......Can avoid rode tax.

Lots od details, but should be considered for a long term plan.
    Actually part of my long term plan.

My fuel guy is a friend, would deliver a tank/fuel....but I'm not there enough...yet...so would worry about being stolen or if not used in a timely fashion...going bad.
    I declined for now.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-15-2015 at 10:53 AM.