Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How big a pot and how many pots?

Hi. I don't "cook" when Im out so I can get by with a canteen cup on its own. I do have an MSR stowaway 775ml size that also doubles as a PSK carrier so that too is often with me or a SAS evasion pouch that holds a mess tin but that's about it!

If I am car camping, then I bring a dutch oven and maybe a big pot. However, if I am backpacking, then I only bring a small pot, about a liter. Since I am generally with a group, we split either one or two jetboil parts up: someone takes the stove, someone the pot, someone the fuel.....We use a 1.5 liter pot for the group jetboil. We don't cook, just add boiling water to dehydrated food. We also don't drink coffee, but sometimes hot chocolate. Everyone brings a 1 liter pot and a plastic mug.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Canteen cup and usgi mess kit for me, inside the mess kit I keep a msr micro rocket, a case hobo tool and a few instant coffee, salt, pepper, tea packets

If I'm with a group of my friends we usually bring a cast iron dutch oven pot and tripod, and we carry them 3 miles to our usual campsite

Never did any big cooking... Camping...... I try not to bring a kitchen.

Depending where you are large leaves, banna etc, or even just some good wax/parchment and aluminum foil. Season to taste add a small amount of oil, fat, butter, what ever you have. Bury under coals.

Any boiling is just done in canteen/gi cup.

Different strokes and all. When I was small my father did bring along a coleman type stove / pot set with canister gas, always ended up cooking on the fire sometimes borrowing the grill grate from it.

I've heard of people using pressure cookers on open fires and watched some youtube on the subject, anybody here try that?

I'm interested because it seems like a great way to thoroughly cook anything, quickly. It will kill any no-see-ems and save on firewood plus the food taste great.

I have not tried that. I would think you'd have to be ever vigilant lest the pressure gets too high. Then you won't know whether to grab it off the fire or run like mad.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Both of my grandmothers used a pressure cooker on the wood fired kitchen cook stove. It might as well have been an open campfire.

I can still remember being banned from the kitchen because apparently they were cooking a bomb and it was expected to blow at any moment.

BTW, I now know there is a pressure release valve that hopefully releases any unwanted build up.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-18-2015 at 01:07 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have not tried that. I would think you'd have to be ever vigilant lest the pressure gets too high. Then you won't know whether to grab it off the fire or run like mad.
    Many of the pressure cookers I've seen have a pressure relief valve (some are adjustable) and I've seen a pressure gauge on one. I have a big one I use in the house for canning and soon I will be cooking with it (I've been talking about cooking with it for close to a year now, UGH!!). I think pushing coals around a pot in a open fire wold work as long as you had the valve working and didn't try to blow it up.

Ask Nell about those pressure relief valves. I'm sure she'll chime in here.

problem with pressure valves is making sure they stay clean. A fouled up valve can impede flow and thus cause over pressuring of the container, resulting in catastrophic results.

Also if you buy pressure cookers the FBI will tag you and put you on a watch list.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Also if you buy pressure cookers the FBI will tag you and put you on a watch list.
    How are they going to do that?

Have they tagged every home canner in the US?

I think there's a "bazinga" on the end of that sentence.

Pressure cooker...? Love them but would not back pack them..and I work in a pressure cooker company...muahahahahahaha
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Really? I'll bet you are under a lot of.....wait for it......pressure in your job. (I slay myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Pressure cooker...? Love them but would not back pack them..and I work in a pressure cooker company...muahahahahahaha
    I guess they gotta come from somewhere.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    How are they going to do that?

Have they tagged every home canner in the US?
    lol.

Not a serious statement, sorry if it came across as that, humor is hard to convey through text alone.

Banned

Default FBI tracks common cookware, Seriously???

I purchased a 6 Quart Pressure Cooker at a Thrift Store but the Pressure Regulator was missing and it needed a new gasket so I told them I would only pay $9 for it, they wanted $15, new these are about $40 or more and the new ones in stores are not as good IMO. Personally I am skeptical the FBI tracks this information, but if they do "good luck with that" put me on the list. There are ton of these at yard sales all over the country ha ha ha. Perhaps they track BBs and thumbtacks ha ha ha…

https://www.gopresto.com/products/pr...?stock=01/PCA6

"Parts is parts"

Now does the FBI track acid tone and peroxide? and people forming crystals in their refigerators? Seriously…

All the women buying finger nail polish removal and hair bleach, how many of them are fixin' to blow up something. ha ha ha
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-20-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typos

Normally, they don't. But when they see all those red flag words in a post they do take interest. You might want to have your wife answer the door for a while.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Normally, they don't. But when they see all those red flag words in a post they do take interest. You might want to have your wife answer the door for a while.
    They've know me for many years, next time I go skeet shooting with them they'll probably laugh, especially at all the red herrings I included in that post. Assuming I remember to show them the post.