Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2015

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

My husband died 4 years ago today. Normally I reserve this day for moping and doing things with my kids. But first thing this morning I got the call that I have been chosen as the Checkpoint Manager for Mile 101, the checkpoint I work at for the Yukon Quest. I'm going up there tonight or tomorrow morning to get some work done. We need to brush it out so we have room to park the dog teams. I like spending the night up there. Really, the news couldn't have come at a better time, well maybe not 8 am on a Sat. morning, but I'm good.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

This is both a remembering you and congratulations day. I'm glad you got the manager's slot. I know you were wanting that so congrats.

Anniversaries of this type are so hard but also important to remember where we came from so we can look forward to where we're going. Took almost 10 years from when our son died for me to really have perspective. Hugs to you and congrats on the new job !!!!!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Congrats there Star.....thing happen for a reason....good time to get the news.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Congrats on the managers position!

Getting the notification today will help bring fond memories to this anniversary. We know you'll do great as the check point manager.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey there Gal, congra's on the new job, seems that will be a lot of responsibly, but I bet you wil not have a problem handling it.
    I've had eleven years plus and still think of her most every day. I'm having trouble keeping my mouth shut in front of my 'new' wife. I don't think you can ever really forget all the memories that you have stored up.

Hugs on your special day.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Recently I lost my best friend, my mother. A friend's words comforted me so much, I would like to share them with Star, Williepete, Solar Geek and others out there who may have lost loved ones...

One day pain will not be the first thing you feel. Rather, you will smile to remember all you shared and loved together, and the pain will recede to a gentler ache. No one can take their place, but we are fortunate to have traveled a time along their road. As time goes on you will smile more and more each day and will enjoy the comfort of those sweet memories.

There is an old saying, "Love is how you stay alive even after you're gone." In that case, our loved ones are very much alive in our hearts!
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Star, congrats on your managerial upgrade!! (HowsZAT for good timing?!?)

Thanks sooo much for these links. The Ron Murray one... is. just. too. awesome. for. words. Without a doubt, the very best aurora vids I've seen. They have a permanent place in my files, f'sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Well come on up! Here is where you can find the best real time videos of the northern lights. You have to have a special (very expensive) camera to take video of them. That is why you will mostly see time lapse. But technology is advancing so that now some people other then NASA can afford them.

http://www.ronnmurrayphoto.com/Aurora-Videos

And this bit just tickled me pink. No new signs needed because we don't, and haven't been, calling it McKinley.
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...dcaaffb9f.html
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Good stuff, GA. The Chinese have a saying, "No man is truly dead until he is no longer remembered".

ANCHORAGE -
    UPDATE Sept. 14: A Funny River man is in serious condition Monday after being mauled by a bear, Sunday afternoon, according to hospital officials.

Cpt. Terry Bookey of the Central Emergency Services told Channel 2 News that 62-year-old Danny High was mauled near mile 10.5 of Funny River Road. "The guy had his phone with him and called in his own attack," Bookey said.

High was transported to Seattle for treatment of his 'major injuries,' Sunday according to Alaska State Trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters.

Susan Gregg, spokeswoman for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle said High was in serious condition in intensive care at the Seattle hospital as of 11:00 a.m. Monday.

"I know some of his injuries required surgery but I don't know if he went in for surgery this morning," Gregg said.

Investigations are being conducted into the incident before any action can be taken, according to Cathie Harms, with the Department of Fish and Game. "We don't even know what kind of bear it is at this point," Harms said.

"If we have reason to believe that this bear could pose a continued threat to the area, we will definitely have to try and minimize if not eliminate the threat, but we don't know at this time" Harms said.

ORIGINAL STORY: A brown bear mauled a 62-year-old Funny River man Sunday afternoon on Funny River Road, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Danny High was walking in the woods when the bear attacked, troopers wrote in a dispatch posted online. High suffered “major injuries” and was flown to a hospital for treatment.

The attack was reported at 4:36 pm. at Mile 11 of the road, east of Soldotna.

Authorities were unable to find the bear. “High wasn’t armed with a gun or bear spray when attacked,” the troopers wrote.

Copyright © 2015, KTUU-TV
    http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/man-62...woods/35257930

I don't want to make light of what happened, but with his last name and the location of the attack.........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Heh, good catch.

Oh, man. That 911 call must have went on forever.

911: "911 what's your emergency?"
    High: "I was attacked by a bear."
    911: "Okay sir, what's your name?"
    High: "High"
    911: "Hello, but we need your name."
    911: "Hello again, what's your name?"

Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, man. That 911 call must have went on forever.

911: "911 what's your emergency?"
    High: "I was attacked by a bear."
    911: "Okay sir, what's your name?"
    911: "Hello, but we need your name."
    911: "Hello again, what's your name?"

Who's on first?
    911: OK - never mind the name - where are you?
    High: Joker Road.
    911: Sir, there is nothing funny about calling 911.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's kind of awesome when half the people you know have their pilot's license. I mean really, every one and their brother up here has one. The downside is that we have more plane crashes per capita then anywhere else in the US.

Fishing lodge's floatplane crashes in Alaska; 3 dead, 7 hurt

Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:40 am | Updated: 5:33 pm, Tue Sep 15, 2015.
    Associated Press |
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A floatplane carrying fishing guides and clients crashed Tuesday near a scenic lake in rural southwest Alaska, killing three of the out-of-state clients and injuring all seven other people on board, some critically, authorities said.
    The plane was taking off to head to a remote fishing spot in a river when it went down outside the tiny town of liamna, 175 miles southwest of Anchorage, National Transportation Safety Board Alaska Chief Clint Johnson said.
    The aircraft - a De Havilland DHC-3 Turbine Otter on floats - belonged to an liamna fishing lodge. It ended up in some trees near Eastwind Lake, a mile north of town.
    Alaska State Troopers identified the dead as Tony W. Degroot, 80, of Hanford, California; James P. Fletcher, 70, of Clovis, California; and James Specter, 69, of Shavertown, Pennsylvania. Their bodies were recovered and were being sent for an autopsy by the state medical examiner's office, troopers said.
    The three were staying as clients at the Rainbow King Lodge, which owned the plane, Johnson said. Calls to the business went unanswered.
    The Alaska Air National Guard flew five of the more seriously injured survivors to Anchorage. The five were first flown to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, then transported by ambulance to a hospital or hospitals, Guard Staff Sgt. Edward Eagerton said.
    Some of the seven injured were critically hurt, while two sustained minor injuries, Johnson said. Their names were not released.
    Johnson added it was "way too early for any speculation" on what caused the crash. Two NTSB investigators were heading to Iliamna on Tuesday, with one arriving mid-afternoon, he said.
    The picturesque Eastwind Lake is fairly small and regularly used for floatplane traffic, said Diana Armstrong, who works at a local trading post.
    In late June, another DHC-3 Otter crashed in a mountainous area in southeast Alaska, killing all nine people on board.
    The sightseeing plane crashed on a steep cliff about 25 miles from Ketchikan, killing the pilot and eight cruise ship passengers. The excursion was sold through the cruise company Holland America and operated by Ketchikan-based Promech Air.
    Another Otter was involved in an August 2010 crash in Alaska that killed former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and four others.
    Tuesday's crash was the ninth fatal plane crash in Alaska this year, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer said. Altogether, there were 20 deaths among those crashes, he said.

Updated 2 p.m.: ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A floatplane belonging to a fishing lodge crashed during takeoff Tuesday in southwest Alaska, killing three people and injuring the other seven on board, authorities said.
    The injured passengers were being flown to Anchorage hospitals following the crash near the small community of Iliamna, 175 miles southwest of Anchorage.
    Five people were badly hurt, including some critically, and two others sustained minor injuries, National Transportation Safety Board Alaska Chief Clint Johnson said.
    Alaska State Troopers said the three dead were from outside the state but didn't know about the others. Rescue personnel initially took injured passengers to a local clinic.
    Johnson said the plane belonged to the Rainbow King Lodge. Calls to the business went unanswered.
    The plane crashed on takeoff at Eastwind Lake, a mile north of Iliamna, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer said in an email to The Associated Press. It was a De Havilland DHC-3 Turbine Otter on floats, he said.
    The cause of the crash was not yet known. "Way too early for any speculation," Johnson said.
    Johnson said the plane came to rest in some trees. Two NTSB investigators were heading to Iliamna on Tuesday, he said.
    In late June, another DHC-3 Otter crashed in a mountainous area in southeast Alaska, killing all nine people on board.
    The sightseeing plane crashed on a steep cliff about 25 miles from Ketchikan, killing the pilot and eight cruise ship passengers. The excursion was sold through the cruise company Holland America and operated by Ketchikan-based Promech Air.
    Another Otter was involved in an August 2010 crash in Alaska that killed former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and four others.
    ___
    Follow Rachel D'Oro at https://twitter.com/rdoro
    Updated 1:30 p.m.: ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Three people died and others were injured Tuesday after a floatplane belonging to a fishing lodge crashed with 10 people on board in southwest Alaska, authorities said.
    Alaska State Troopers said the three dead were from outside the state.
    The injured passengers were being flown to Anchorage hospitals following the crash near the small community of Iliamna, 175 miles southwest of Anchorage. It's unclear how many people were hurt.
    Local residents said the plane belongs to the Rainbow King Lodge. Calls to the business went unanswered.
    Rescue personnel initially took injured passengers to the clinic in Iliamna.
    The plane crashed on takeoff at Eastwind Lake, 1 mile north of the community, according to Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer. It was a De Havilland DHC-3 Turbine Otter on floats, he said.
    The cause of the crash is not yet known.
    National Transportation Safety Board Alaska Chief Clint Johnson said the plane came to rest in some trees. Two NTSB investigators were heading to Iliamna later in the day, he said.
    12:08 p.m.: Alaska State Troopers say three people are dead of the 10 aboard the floatplane. Others are injured.
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Authorities say a floatplane with 10 people aboard has crashed in southwest Alaska, killing an unknown number of people.
    Alaska State Troopers say fatalities occurred in the wreck Tuesday near Iliamna, but they didn't know how many. They say rescue personnel are taking injured passengers to the clinic in the small community.
    Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer says in an email to The Associated Press that the plane crashed on takeoff at Eastwind Lake, 1 mile north of Iliamna. He says the aircraft was a De Havilland DHC-3 Turbine Otter on floats, and the cause of the crash is not yet known.
    Clint Johnson with the National Transportation Safety Board says authorities believe the plane belongs to an area lodge, but he declined to immediately identify it.
    Iliamna is about 175 miles southwest of Anchorage.
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...3fa3fa35c.html

Well, I suppose when you have to fly 240 miles for a pizza delivery bound to be problems........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We were under a winter advisory and are expecting 2-5" of snow. School put out that they would be watching the weather and roads to see if they needed to cancel. So then the idjits called at 5:30 this morning to let us know there would be school. Well duhhh. It's snow. This is Alaska! I live on call so have to answer my phone. Don't call me at 5:30 in the morning for bull**** news.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sttimestar
    It's kind of awesome when half the people you know have their pilot's license.

I saw an article that said Alaska had more licensed pilots than any state in the Union. It also said Alaska had more unlicensed pilots than any state in the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I saw an article that said Alaska had more licensed pilots than any state in the Union. It also said Alaska had more unlicensed pilots than any state in the Union. [/COLOR]
    Yep yep. And apparently we have ghosts as well.

So several times this last week, I keep finding this drawer left open. There's just some magazines in the drawer and I keep wondering who is getting in there and then leaving the drawer open. It's just an old desk that we have houseplants sitting on. I mean, I have closed it probably 7 or 8 times this week so it was starting to annoy me. Today I'm in my office to the right. I go out into the community area and there it is open again. I go check the cameras to see who in heck it was as I didn't notice anyone digging around in that area...que theme from Twilight Zone.

https://youtu.be/zgRZxKEGxjM