Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2015

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Did a truck with a load of laundry detergent crash and spill its cargo on the road?
    or is that white coral sand from the local beaches?
    or did a Morton salt delivery truck spill over?
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-26-2015 at 12:38 PM.

We got 6-9" in 12 hours. Pretty good huh?

It's September. That right there ain't right.

Please keep that white stuff up there this year!
    Alaska is a good place for it.
    Not downtown Boston.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Hey, I enjoyed that ghost pix. My wife has a large bedroom across the end of the house on the second floor. Her two sons have had experiences in that room consisting of a black figure sitting on their chest while they were laying on the floor. When we go on our trips my oldest daughter takes care of our 'kids', a cat and dog. One time she came with her Grand daughter who was some were about 4 or 5 maybe and came up stairs and came down and told Mama to be quiet as there were three people sleeping in our bed. Her boy friend came in one time and came down visible shaken and would not go back up. Now me I don't disbelieve but I've never had any experice with any thing.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

We had a blizzard here in 1978 when I was on the FD. we got several inchs an hour. The entrance ramp to East bound Interstate was closed from Wed night until some time late Sat evening. They had to get a dozer to clear it. When my brother's road was final opened by a hugh front end loader from a rock quarry there was something like ten to twelve foot high bank on each side of the road. Such fun romaning around in a GNC six by.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    We got 6-9" in 12 hours. Pretty good huh?

NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    Hey, I enjoyed that ghost pix. My wife has a large bedroom across the end of the house on the second floor. Her two sons have had experiences in that room consisting of a black figure sitting on their chest while they were laying on the floor. When we go on our trips my oldest daughter takes care of our 'kids', a cat and dog. One time she came with her Grand daughter who was some were about 4 or 5 maybe and came up stairs and came down and told Mama to be quiet as there were three people sleeping in our bed. Her boy friend came in one time and came down visible shaken and would not go back up. Now me I don't disbelieve but I've never had any experice with any thing.

Bill
    That's quite interesting especially that the adult saw something to shake him up. Did he ever say what it was?

This place had a violent murder and one other death. It consists of 8 small apartments and a couple of offices and a community room area. All under security, previously to keep others safe, now to keep the women who live here safe. Now it is similar to a safe house through our local domestic violence shelter, for women with disabilities. Before we got it though I believed it housed the criminally insane like this guy. He killed the worker there by stabbing her and slitting her throat. Then we had one client die by choking on a piece of steak during the middle of the night while she was self medicating....

HOME > STATE Syndicate content
    CommentShare on print Share on email More Sharing Services Share on twitter Share on facebook
    Follow This Article

Fairbanks man who pleaded guilty to killing mental health worker gets at least 20 years in prison
    Posted: April 26, 2011 - 8:26pm
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    FAIRBANKS — A Fairbanks man with a history of mental illness who pleaded guilty to stabbing and killing a mental health worker has been sentenced to at least 20 years in prison.

Brian Galbraith, 54, agreed to plead guilty to first-degree murder for killing Genine Holznagel-Leary, 32, outside Fairbanks Community Behavioral Health Center in 2007, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported Tuesday.

Galbraith stabbed the woman after she went to speak with him about a threatening statement he reportedly made. A witness told authorities that Galbraith stabbed her in the back and slit her throat.

After the stabbing, he was overheard saying: “Death is life.”

Holznagel-Leary worked at the mental health housing facility next door to another mental health facility where Galbraith lived.

Galbraith received a 99-year sentence with 63 of those years suspended. That means that the earliest he would be eligible for parole is at age 74. The sentence was accepted by Superior Court Judge Robert Downes.

Galbraith has a history of paranoid schizophrenia. In the past, he has said that he believes “green and purple people” or a cab driver killed the woman. In the past few years, Galbraith has been charged and counts later dismissed because he was not found competent to stand trial.

Galbraith was voluntarily committed to the Alaska Psychiatric Institute, but charges were re-filed when he asked to be released. A hearing in September 2010 found him competent to stand trial.

Downes said Galbraith had undergone an “unpredictable and amazing recovery” after a history of making delusional statements.

Galbraith chose not to make any comments before being sentenced Monday.

During that hearing, Galbraith attorney Michael Biderman sought a recess when his client asked the judge whether he would be able to have a retrial. The judge had been explaining that by pleading guilty, Galbraith was giving up his right to a jury trial. When the defense team returned to the courtroom, Galbraith said he understood.

Galbraith has prior convictions for violent crimes, including trying to kidnap a woman and assaulting a grocery store employee with a knife.

http://juneauempire.com/state/2011-0...least-20-years
    I was talking with one of my Case Managers about this and she said that I should look and see what is in the drawer, that it might be something I need to see, since this drawer has been opened several times when I am there and she has never seen it opened. It's just an old desk under the window that we put house plants on.

That was just creepy.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And in other news, here comes more snow! I say bring it on.

Winter storm watch issued for heavy snowfall in Interior Alaska

Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 8:05 am | Updated: 8:07 am, Mon Sep 28, 2015.
    Staff Report
    FAIRBANKS - A winter storm watch has been issued for Fairbanks and Interior Alaska starting tonight.
    Six to 10 inches of snow could fall over the Interior before the storm ends late Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service.

Here comes another 6-12". It's really wet and heavy, unlike our normal dry, light and fluffy snow.

Ugh, school was cancelled today. 21,000 without power this morning. Eh, it's a bit early, but people should know it's coming.

In other Alaskan related news, I'm not sure what this woman is doing "out there" by herself! You may not be able to listen to it all (I couldn't) because she is just too stupid and her voice too annoying.

Video: Woman thanks Alaska bear for not eating kayak; bear promptly eats kayak
    Sean Doogan
    September 30, 2015

A woman on a 107-mile kayak journey from Ketchikan to Petersburg said she had to hitch a ride to Wrangell on a sailboat after a bear ate her kayak near a public-use cabin in Southeast Alaska.

Mary Maley posted a video of the encounter to YouTube late Tuesday. In the post, Maley claims she was outside a U.S. Forest Service cabin in Berg Bay, 22 miles southeast of Wrangell, when the bear approached.

RELATED:
    Bear walks into Juneau apartment, escapes through broken window
    An appetite for revenge

The U.S. Forest Service office in Wrangell said Wednesday morning that it had not heard of the encounter, but confirmed the video was taken from its Berg Bay cabin.

At the beginning of the video, Maley is heard thanking the bear for "not eating my kayak," before the animal turns around to do just that.

Over the next two minutes, Maley yells repeatedly at the bear, tries to bargains with it and pepper sprays it.

"Please stop, bear," she pleads at one point. "It's September, why are you here? You're supposed to be asleep."

For its part, the bear continues to gnaw on the sea kayak lying on the ground outside the cabin.

"Bear, please stop breaking my things. It's not even food, it's doesn’t even taste good -- it's just plastic," Maley says.

Maley wrote in the video description that the entire encounter went on for nearly 20 minutes before the bruin left the area.

In the YouTube post, Maley claimed she had to swim out to a nearby sailing vessel, the Caledonia, and was given a ride back to Wrangell so she could repair her kayak -- her only means of transportation on her journey.

Numerous messages left around Wrangell in hopes of contacting Maley were not returned Wednesday morning.

It's not the first incident of bear-on-vehicle violence in the Last Frontier -- back in 2009, a bear tore into a plane parked in Southwest Alaska.
    http://www.adn.com/article/20150930/...tly-eats-kayak

Dang...that woman fussing at the bear! I could bear-ly stand it. The only way I could even finish watching it was to turn the sound off! What an embarrassment to womankind.

Something tells me she will eventually remove herself from the gene pool by sheer stupidity (hopefully before she reproduces). I was amazed that the bear didn't charge her (pepper spray or not)! She sounded like a bleating wounded rabbit on steroids.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

The comments on the YouTube channel are killing me... Here is a sampling:

-- this lady has the most annoying voice i've ever heard in my life please mace yourself

-- if anyone was wondering, she said "bear" 32 times.

Holy sh*t that voice is annoying.

-- Bear please eat that woman.

-- She said "Bear youre breaking my kayak! Why are you breaking my Kayak? What did I do to you? Why are you breaking my Kayak? Please stop bear? Why are you doing that? Its the end of september, why are you here? Youre supposed to be asleep. Bear, bear, bear, stop that. Bear, bear stop that. BEARRR, bear stop that, bear stop that, please stop that bear, bear please stop that, please stop breaking my things. Bear! Please stop breaking my things, its not even food, it doesnt even taste good, its just plastic! Bear please stop, please stop bear." This ****ing girl is high off something. Shes talking to a bear for a solid 2 1/2 minutes.

-- this can't be real, no really this can't

-- OMG. Do you think the bear understands English?

-- MARY. LISTEN TO ME. THE BEARS DONT SPEAK ENGLISH.

-- Was definitely rooting for the bear.
    There were many more that were unfit to reprint here...wow this woman provoked 474 people to comment mostly along these lines.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Banned

That video of bear tearing at the kayak seat was funny. Guess silly woman will not be eating food in her yak any more... making seat smell delicious. Actually just human sweat and farts smells very good to bears and raccoons. Once a friend left his helmet strapped to his kayak over night and a raccoon took it, he never found it. But did not waste can of spray or scream hysterically about it, we just joke about a raccoon wearing the helmet whenever on that river. Perhaps that lady will carry a loud firearm next trip...

Edit: I gave up discouraging people from putting flavorings in their water bottles and eating snacks while paddling a long time ago. Some people never learn. Swam across the river to get a man's bag of pistachios the other day that fell out of his pocket at a gravel bar rest stop. He said "Thanks for for saving my nuts." Everyone laughed. Your PDF and water bottle smell like food guess what? Critters big and small are going to go after them, possibly with you attached to them.

Local news had this man on who was hunting moose in Alaska and startled a mother brown bear and cubs...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Bea...329860061.html
    Last edited by TXyakr; 10-01-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Poor habits in the wild

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    We were under a winter advisory and are expecting 2-5" of snow. School put out that they would be watching the weather and roads to see if they needed to cancel. So then the idjits called at 5:30 this morning to let us know there would be school. Well duhhh. It's snow. This is Alaska! I live on call so have to answer my phone. Don't call me at 5:30 in the morning for bull**** news.
    Ask them politely to post it on some social media page like Facebook or Twitter or both. Our school district finally made it policy to post all by 7am and NOT rely on local news, but also sends out text messages which you could block I guess. Unlike most districts they never delay start of school day and rarely cancel school. Even people in very poor countries with no electricity or indoor plumbing have mobile phones, if a voice call fails Text Message should get through and can be automated by a 15 year old kid in the Philippines, i.e. not complicated.

My youngest daughter insisted that I take her to dance practice very early one Saturday when it had rained about 5-7 inches over night and the water was about 10-12 inches deep on some roads I needed to drive on. I turned around and went home, was driving a small car. Then Drill Team coach postponed the practice AFTER it was scheduled to start. Ticked me off. Probably why she teaches dance not something that pays better...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 10-01-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typos

OMG...and to think she may actually vote....?
    I vote... bear... as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The bear might not speak English but I could tell exactly what it was thinking;

"You shot me with that pepper spray for nothing and I am going to ruin your day too!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Ask them politely to post it on some social media page like Facebook or Twitter or both. Our school district finally made it policy to post all by 7am and NOT rely on local news, but also sends out text messages which you could block I guess. Unlike most districts they never delay start of school day and rarely cancel school. Even people in very poor countries with no electricity or indoor plumbing have mobile phones, if a voice call fails Text Message should get through and can be automated by a 15 year old kid in the Philippines, i.e. not complicated.

My youngest daughter insisted that I take her to dance practice very early one Saturday when it had rained about 5-7 inches over night and the water was about 10-12 inches deep on some roads I needed to drive on. I turned around and went home, was driving a small car. Then Drill Team coach postponed the practice AFTER it was scheduled to start. Ticked me off. Probably why she teaches dance not something that pays better...
    They do post it online and on the news as well. But you still get a robocall. We ended up getting about 18" here at my house.

I checked.......our snow gauge still reads zero.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel