Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck Knife suggestions

Junior Member survivalinstinct228's Avatar

Default Neck Knife suggestions

I wont to get a neck knife but it wont be for a few months, so I thought that I would start looking around now. This way when it comes time to purchase my first "neck" knife I will know exactly what I want. It needs to be smallish with survival capabilities, as well as hold a sharp edge and be easy to sharpen. Any suggestions?

Becker Necker by Ka-Bar. I have a couple of them and I'm pleased with them.

I get nervous wearing anything around my neck, especially in an emergency/survival situation. That said, I have several neck knives; BUT, I have them on dog-tag-style, ball chains. I also covered the chain with 550-cord mantle for comfort. The ball chain will break if it gets hung up on something -- 550 cord will strangle you...youch!

Here's how I made my neck-tether. The knife in the second to the last photo is the TOPS CQT Mini Neck Knife -- very stout and robust, but not so easy to sharpen.

In the last photo (left to right) are: the Ka-Bar/Becker/Esse EsKabar Knife (a hybrid design); the Becker Necker; and the RAT Izula. All three are excellent knives.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Eskabar Necker Izula 01 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr
    Last edited by tjwilhelm; 01-07-2015 at 01:48 PM.

I second the Becker Necker.......or I have hung a Mora on a lanyard.

Primitive re-enacting I carry a patch knice in a leather pouch......have several, just a small straight blade knife used to cut muzzleloader patches......looks like a paring knife....actually one is with antler scales.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

If you want to go on the cheap, a Mora knife is great and the sheath is not prone to bend it is made out of molded plastic, you can use it around your neck, or on your belt and it is easy to sharpen. You can buy one from the internet for $12 to $15 and choice of carbon steel or stainless.

I use a break-away lanyard connector on mine. Slide the paracord through, tie a knot and pull the knot inside the connector. Do that on both sides. The connectors snap together.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyard-Br...7c7505_a_7c737

The ESEE Izula is might hard to beat and has a lifetime no matter what guarantee ! The sheath has lots of possibilities for other forms of carry too !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Ive got a becker remora,and a couple of kabar jab piggyback knives like the becker the best tho nice weight easy to sharpen and a tight fitting sheath
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at the Cold steel Hideout and the Spartan Enyo. Has anyone had experience with ether of these i am leaning to the Enyo doe to the size company and the look as well as I hear that they can hold a nice edge for a long time. it was designed for some guys in the army.

I'm not sure why you'd want to pay that kind of price when you can purchase the Necker or the Izula for a third of what you'll pay for the Enyo. You won't find better companies than Ka-Bar or Esee.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I echo the opinion of using the Mora, that's what I do. Great knife for the money and if it works for Cody Lundin then it's a-gonna work for me!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I use a break-away lanyard connector on mine. Slide the paracord through, tie a knot and pull the knot inside the connector. Do that on both sides. The connectors snap together.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyard-Br...7c7505_a_7c737

Thanks for that link, Rick! Very cool!

Sadly, we don't have a "Like" button, or I would have hit it on your post. Also, sadly, in lieu of a "Like" button, I hit the "Reputation" button, but it wouldn't allow me to give you any rep-kudos. It says I have to "spread it around."

So-o-o...in lieu of all that...

Like, like, like! Rep, rep, rep!

Thank you guys for the help i will certainly take a look at the knives mentioned.

"Another yep for the Necker Becker.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

TJ, I originally found those on company IDs. They were a safety device in case the ID lanyard got caught on something. Shoot, says I, I know exactly where I can use that.

I find most neck knives are too big or heavy for my like to wear around the neck. I would probably like one that most others would feel inadequate with. Something 4 inches in total?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I don't consider a neck knife a "Go to" for general service....unless you consider a Mora.

So those who wear one ....do you also carry a belt knife, or folder....or all of the above?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

They have Rick's break-away connectors on Amazon, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wear both the folder and belt,just started carrying the neck knife.ranger my little remora is 5.13" long and weighs just under 4 oz.

Hunter - I did the survival mod to my neck knife that Mack posted on a while back. I also carry a mora for general duty stuff and a RAT 7 strapped to my pack. I have a Kershaw Scallion that is my every day knife. Depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going I may also carry a Cold Steel Trail Hawk on my pack. I always carry a Gerber Sportsman Wood saw so the hawk doesn't always go.