Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theoretical: Living off the grid

Default Theoretical: Living off the grid

Just wondering if anyone know a prime spot to in theory, live long term off the grid. And any has story of the sort would be greatly appreciated
    And again, this is "theoretical" (especially if your the police... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman582 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone know a prime spot to in theory, live long term off the grid. And any has story of the sort would be greatly appreciated
    And again, this is "theoretical" (especially if your the police... lol
    No, .........anyone I would know of can't be reached as they are "off the grid".

Seriously these '"places" exist only in the mind...played out in movies, and books.
    OR
    For those that have enough money to purchase the place, gear, and supplies.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What are you really asking for? Living off grid does not mean living without being connected. There are those that live without "city services" such as electric, water, sewer, cable, phone, etc. but provide their own power, water, outhouses, satellite services, etc.

You can live off grid in the middle of the city if you choose, but I suspect that is not what you are asking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Does after a bad marriage/divorce, losing your job due to a meltdown and depression, losing your home ( to the ex) and spending almost 6 months living in a old pop up camper, collecting cans and such for a few bucks in your pocket and living of ramen noodles and soup kitchen food as off grid it can be done where I lived then but I sure don't recommend it.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

seems like he is asking for info on hiding your identity??

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    No, .........anyone I would know of can't be reached as they are "off the grid".

Seriously these '"places" exist only in the mind...played out in movies, and books.
    OR
    For those that have enough money to purchase the place, gear, and supplies.
    With respect Hunter, "off grid" simply means no civic services, such as sewer, water and electricity. It doesn't mean internet wi-fi service.

Our (me and my bro) retreat is run off a petrol gennie when needed, and of an evening has all the conveniences of a normal house. (No TV on purpose) Computer, fridge, air-con. The shower is a bucket of hot water and a 12volt pump, the sh!tter is a hole in the ground, and water is collected from the rain. Internet sevice is about 800 metres away at the top of the 4WD track. We also rigged up a wind gennie, from a fisher & paykell washing machine motor rewired to 24 volts, which tops up batteries for lights, when the gennie is not running. You really dont need modern conveniences and bills in life. That's all a con, to suck people into life long debt. Admittedly, off grid as a permanent lifestyle is not for everyone, however, it's no big deal, if you really want to do it. If I wasn't married, I'd do it permanently myself.

Annual rates of $400 a year for 'off grid', sure do beat paying about $2500 per annum, just to have your crap flushed down to the ocean, and a bin full of crap picked up once a week.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by Enigma; 04-10-2015 at 05:32 AM.

I think Hunter understands the term. His response was to a drive by poster whose first and only post was some fantasy question.

I read his response and took it for what it was. A clear statement of his opinion concerning 'off grid'.

It is quoted.

Forgive me for being the newbie here, but how should things be interpreted, if you guys have different answers for who you deem to be "drive by' posters, as opposed to members you do approve of? All I see my end is the written word, I can quote from.

I'm responding to the question. The OP is obviously MIA.

We live off the grid for months in the summer in NC. Soon to be 6 months a year. It's a busy life. We still go to town for stuff. I can't see us going totally self sufficient. I like ice tea and TP. Ice cream sandwiches and Reese's peanutbutter cups. Skittles. Max had really bad breath when he had to forage for a meal, so good dog food. Toothpaste and soap. Stuff we take for granted until we don't have it...

Could we go native if needed... oh yeah. It's not as romantic as people think.
    Last edited by madmax; 04-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I read his response and took it for what it was. A clear statement of his opinion concerning 'off grid'.

It is quoted.

Forgive me for being the newbie here, but how should things be interpreted, if you guys have different answers for who you deem to be "drive by' posters, as opposed to members you do approve of? All I see my end is the written word, I can quote from.
    Around here we have threads we refer too as "troll tossing". We see these repeat questions from one time posters and we play around with sarcasm and speculation.

We know that 99% of the people asking these questions would not last a month off grid and have no real idea of what it takes to cope with the daily tasks, and the long stretches of boredom.

Some of us here have been around long enough to consider ourselves having "escaped" the off grid lifestyle and consider running water, lights and a flush toilet achieving a measure of success. I lived for decades "off grid" and now consider unlimited running water (part of it hot out of the faucet) and a flush toilet for $50 each month, paid to the utilities in my county, money well spent.

And everything we do here is not a competition. Most of us do not have to be "right" all the time and we long term members generally do not have files of quotations we use against each other.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

It is quoted.

Guess you missed the humor and irony.....but that's OK.

Kinda sounds like DW in a way...."You said...........I gonna quote you".....
    I don't pay much attention to her either.
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-10-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Man oh man. If she asks I'm denying everything.

Enigma, some folks post just to rattle cages or stir up trouble. After a while you can pretty much tell by the post. It almost always involves some made up, fantasy type thing. What is, after all, a prime spot in theory?

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha...

Ok dudes, I'm going to read more and post less, until I get the hang of everything going on here. Maybe not take everything too serious. :-)

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Some of us here have been around long enough to consider ourselves having "escaped" the off grid lifestyle and consider running water, lights and a flush toilet achieving a measure of success. I lived for decades "off grid" and now consider unlimited running water (part of it hot out of the faucet) and a flush toilet for $50 each month, paid to the utilities in my county, money well spent.
    Ironic that you posted this Kyrat. Just today I made an appointment to get pre qualified for a home loan. I'm ready, finally! Done the dry cabin thing long enough to satisfy myself. I'm not only going for a flushing toilet but even have my eye on a dish washer. Yea baby!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I'd take a running hot shower over a dishwasher any day.

Good luck 1st!
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Ironic that you posted this Kyrat. Just today I made an appointment to get pre qualified for a home loan. I'm ready, finally! Done the dry cabin thing long enough to satisfy myself. I'm not only going for a flushing toilet but even have my eye on a dish washer. Yea baby!
    Congrats......Good on you.

Was a while for us as well....from the trailers in the field to the cabin on the hill... being able to float a turd rather than the Humanure composting toilet.... being DW major goal.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I'd take a running hot shower over a dishwasher any day.

Good luck 1st!
    I have a shower. Lol. Just have to haul the water in and put it in the barrel.

We go swimming in Lake Fontana. It's not a bad temp by July.

Lol yea, water temps around here are pretty much NEVER warm enough to really enjoy swimming. But we do go out to the hot springs occasionally for a good soak. It's pretty much an all day trip to go out there and back though.