Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyote Problem

After finding the cat scratch tracks, I was reminded of this incident on the farm in 2011.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=white
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

IR weapon laser, cheap night vision... Yeah, its a few dollars for sure, but when not go full title on the critters and get 'er done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuM96pxSg0

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tegory=0&page=

A less expensive option...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_s-e6od5Uw

I hope your packing 357 or 44 anytime you go outdoors, even during the day!

EB

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    IR weapon laser, cheap night vision... Yeah, its a few dollars for sure, but when not go full title on the critters and get 'er done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuM96pxSg0

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tegory=0&page=

A less expensive option...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_s-e6od5Uw

I hope your packing 357 or 44 anytime you go outdoors, even during the day!

EB
    Thanks EB, I will look at all the links later. We just brought our boy HOME! He loaded in the backseat of the truck as soon as the door was opened despite the pain. He is a remarkable dog!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have been fighting coyotes for the past 40 years. Goats, cattle, small stock, cats small dogs, nothing is immune from their attacks. Donkeys are a bust! I have seen a pack of coyotes chasing my donkey with no regard for his reputation at all. Llama will protect themselves but you need at least two before they are effective, and in some of the places I have lived the 'yote packs ran into numbers of more than a dozen, and they ignored the presence of my Llamas.

I have found only two effective means of control,

The first is poisoned bait piles. Any time you find a kill pour antifreeze all over it. They return to finish off their kills and the antifreeze will get them. They love the taste of the stuff and consume if willingly.

Second is using a predator call from in a blind, day or night. I will only hunt that way with two people, back to back and at least one of them having a shotgun loaded with large size shot. If I am forced to work a blind alone I only use a shotgun and buckshot and back the blind into a corner where my back is protected.

It is near terrifying to turn on a predator call, in the dark, and have a dozen 'yotes fire up their pack hunting howls within 100 yards of you. It's abut as close to a primal fear as I have experienced.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Your poor donkey. How embarrassing. I'll bet he felt like a real .... naw, not gonna do it. Too easy.

One thing about coyotes is that one does not need access to large plots of land to effectively hunt them.

Once they have invaded the living space they will enter fenced yards and barn lots freely. If you live in a semirural area where the houses are close, but shooting is still allowed, you can call them right up to your back door using a good predator call, or penned chickens.

The chickens really did not appreciate being lowered to the status of coyote bait.

Thanks for the tips Kyrat! I've been pretty busy taking care of our injured pup. But, I am plotting an attack. Priced a live trap yesterday @ $179 ouch!

That sucks am so sorry about the pup...that would mean all out war at our house.i hate coyotes 2012/13 archery season u had a pair of them actively stalk me,trying to herd me along a fence line blocking off two lines of escape,dont think they where expecting their meal to fire back....sadly i missed but they did leave.scary *** feeling though

Update on "Little Bear" he his a survivor! His strength and appetite are back! I just hope he forgets and doesn't want vengeance, I know I would.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Glad to hear the pup is healing. See if you local humane society has live traps to loan.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Good news on the Bear, hope you get the problem sorted out. BTW from personal experience, don't involve the humane society,(sorry 1sts) you could end up with all sorts of troubles. What about your local Farmers Union or is it 4H?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Oh, ours is "Animal Control" not "Humane Society." There's apparently a difference. Our Fish and Game also have live traps to loan.

Big difference 1TS

Animal control controls the animals. (move them if possible kill them if necessary)

Humane society controls the human behavior toward the animals. (there are no problem animals only mean people)

Outside the urban confines the 3-S rule dominates problem animal behavior.

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut up

Rodger the 3-s's

Coyotes are tough to get rid of...cagey ...................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Occasionally you will find a careless one.

I was sitting in the Jeep one night listening to the end of a ball game and watched a lean rangy 'yote pounce out into the middle of the road and head my way in that lazy lope stride they have.

I thought about shooting him but figured he would hear me getting the gun out and the window rolled down.

Instead I just waited until he was even with the Jeep and blasted the horn.

He did a four footed flat jump straight up in the air with all feet scrambling the air and bounced off the embankment by the roadside twice before making the top. Looked like something from a Road Runner cartoon!

I have dealt with them for years, poisoned quite a few I am sure and shot some, but I still consider my head count low compared to the damage they have done me and my neighbors over the years.

When they run in packs they will attack humans in spite of what the tree huggers tell you. I know of three separate instances where friends of mine have been attacked and injured or cornered and treed by packs.

I do not take any chances when dealing with them and they are the reason a buckshot loaded 12 gauge sits by the back door 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Big difference 1TS

Animal control controls the animals. (move them if possible kill them if necessary)

Humane society controls the human behavior toward the animals. (there are no problem animals only mean people)

Outside the urban confines the 3-S rule dominates problem animal behavior.

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut up
    Ah yes, thanks for the clarification. Ours is good. They do a lot. They are really helpful in keeping animals and pets safe, yet realizing that humans do come first. I got our cat from them a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Occasionally you will find a careless one.

I was sitting in the Jeep one night listening to the end of a ball game and watched a lean rangy 'yote pounce out into the middle of the road and head my way in that lazy lope stride they have.

I thought about shooting him but figured he would hear me getting the gun out and the window rolled down.

Instead I just waited until he was even with the Jeep and blasted the horn.

He did a four footed flat jump straight up in the air with all feet scrambling the air and bounced off the embankment by the roadside twice before making the top. Looked like something from a Road Runner cartoon!

I have dealt with them for years, poisoned quite a few I am sure and shot some, but I still consider my head count low compared to the damage they have done me and my neighbors over the years.

When they run in packs they will attack humans in spite of what the tree huggers tell you. I know of three separate instances where friends of mine have been attacked and injured or cornered and treed by packs.

I do not take any chances when dealing with them and they are the reason a buckshot loaded 12 gauge sits by the back door 24/7.
    I hear ya.......The city house is about a block for a power-line, with green space....Wednesday nite a pair comes down the street, checking garbage bags as Thursday is pick up day.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I honestly think the Humane Society has a place, but it ain't on my farm, same goes for the SPCA. They apparently have no facilities for horses, have no idea how to care for horses. Heres an example...They'd lock me up if I did not have a shelter for horses. OK, so it is warmer in a shelter when it is 20 F? No, it isn't, a horse heats from the inside out. Available food is how they stay warm not a damn shelter, there is no shelter in the wild. One more, The wonderful SPCA threatened me for my horses eating hay from a round bail off the ground....umm the horses put it on the ground not me. Where the heck does hay grow in the wild? Needless to say I wasn't ever in any danger of being persecuted by idiots, but they damn sure tried. Now, DNR definitely has a place and are required, but umm, not on my farm. I've had all the help I need from the gooberment!