Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Problem

Default Coyote Problem

Last saturday morning, our 6 month old GSD "Little Bear" was attacked by coyotes. He is still at the vet with a large wound at the base of his tail. X-rays also show a broken tail. Two different vets have confirmed it was a canine attack. He also had a canine puncture wound in his muzzle. (some of you will remember this picture I shared in 2011.) It was taken the exact same time of year.

Our Yellow Lab "Swamper" was attacked about 3 months ago as well. His wounds were mostly superficial but did warrant a trip to the vet for a rabies booster and antibiotics.

About 2012 our Beagle disappeared without a trace.

I am up writing this early this morning because I heard the yotes at about 5am. ("Swamper" was wanting out, he was inside)

I haven't gotten any pics on the game cam this year of a Yote. (I had moved the camera) But, think I have found a track. I am also wondering if my baiting the deer isn't causing the Yotes to come on the property?

I also found a carcass of a fresh kill that appears to be canine. (Will update thread with pics, when it gets light outside)

I need a plan to deal with these critters. Some background on my place. It is a small livestock farm. (Horses, donkey, and a Bull) It's only about 8 acres but borders an irrigation ditch and an 80 acre field of what was millet.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

If you can keep a eye on your animals and if it's legal, snares would be the way to go.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If you can keep a eye on your animals and if it's legal, snares would be the way to go.
    Snares may be used in water sets only. The ditch has some water, But since it doesn't stay wet, I am not sure about the legality of it. I have no trapping experience. Footholds under 5" wide may be used, I have 2 of them I got in a trade.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

could you use a bait pile, a accurate high powered rifle? After the first few the coyotes will be skittish. perhaps a local trapper would trap them out for the fur.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    could you use a bait pile, a accurate high powered rifle? After the first few the coyotes will be skittish. perhaps a local trapper would trap them out for the fur.
    Thats what i am thinking a bait pile and a .22 mag. They can also be shot at night with a permit.

I have no experience at all, yet, but an article in this month's "American Frontiersman" magazine talks about trapping and killing coyotes. They say a leg hold trap buried in the dirt is the best option for trapping them. For more information, look for the "American Frontiersman" with the mountain man wearing a buckskin hood on the cover. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    look for the "American Frontiersman" with the mountain man wearing a buckskin hood on the cover.
    I think you just described the front cover of every issue!

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I think you just described the front cover of every issue!
    The guy looks like he's in a coyote hood, maybe it's not buckskin. It's got ears on it. The 2015 issue, I believe. It's this one anyway:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Country-Alma...item2a494230ad
    Last edited by Zack; 01-01-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Fortunately, our llama, Batman, keeps them away. They give the alpacas and llamas a wide birth when he goes into his defensive mode. He also has driven away the occasional wolf.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

That's what people are using around here. Llamas as guard dogs. We have a lot of yotes and not enough people to hunt them (not enough space between houses either.) Animal control won't do anything about them unless they exhibit signs of rabies. You'd think people would give up posting signs for "Lost dog" or "Lost cat" as they continually put down laws that protect the coyotes.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    That's what people are using around here. Llamas as guard dogs. We have a lot of yotes and not enough people to hunt them (not enough space between houses either.) Animal control won't do anything about them unless they exhibit signs of rabies. You'd think people would give up posting signs for "Lost dog" or "Lost cat" as they continually put down laws that protect the coyotes.
    Yep, clearly they are hunting at night. Night hunting requires 48 hr. notice to dnr and is not legal until the last day of February. Looking into a depredation permit now.

20 years ago we did not have any coyote here in east-central Illinois. We're very rural and remote, but coyote were unheard of in these parts. Since then, they've taken up residence here and their population has increased markedly. One of my neighbors raises sheep, and the coyote love his place...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.WGI_0069 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Good luck with your hunt!

im very surprised your donkey doesn't help

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    So am I, they generally are protective.

Yotes can be a PITA......and you really have to work at hunting them...they get spooky as soon as you get one.

DD/SIL have a Great Pyrenees to help protect the chickens......Snowball has been a great watch/guard dog so far.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    He is a little guy just a medium and so far as I can tell he does help. There has not been any animals attacked in the pasture. My Paint Qtr. Gelding could probably stomp 3 yotes to death. I have seen him kick a dog across the road with me on him.

Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 01-02-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Ah poor pups. I'd advise against the traps if you dogs run free. Looks like you have some hunting to do. Good luck.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Ah poor pups. I'd advise against the traps if you dogs run free. Looks like you have some hunting to do. Good luck.
    Yeah, that is the plan, I think you missed quite an update by just seconds.

Bait works for a short time. They are smart. I have had good luck with bait at night, but I had a very nice scope I borrowed. Night vision seemed to alert them less, and they seem to come back more than when we would spotlight them (even using the red spotlight covers).
    After that quit working, we could call a few, but they get wise to that also. Normally we could whittle them down enough with these tactics that we would less animal harassment.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Maybe one of these to work with your GSD along with hunting.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm
    We have a problem in Maine and on our small farm.
    My wife shot one middle of the day!
    Survival happens daily.