Thread: What makes the Mora so great for survival?

Default What makes the Mora so great for survival?

Now I know that there are probably tons of threads on the mora, but I just want to know what makes it so exceptional? I'm talking about the Mora S-1 in particular. I read about it on forums all the time, and the mora sites I've been to make it sound great, but what makes it such a good survival knife? It seems a little small to do some of the jobs that survival requires. Does the steel throw sparks?. So...yeah I basically just want to know what sets it appart from the other knives out there and what makes it good. sny info will help. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Blood Groove. I don't have a Mora, but from what I understand, you can't beat the quality of the Mora for the price. Supposedly you can get a great knife for around $20. By the way, to take a cue from Rick, Moderator Extraordinairre, why not groove on over to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm sure there are others here who can help with your knife query.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Ah, Aurelius...You're a man after my own heart. Smooth, my friend. Just smooth.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The quality of the steel and sharpness of the blade, even out-of-box, is enough to sheer paper. It holds an edge really well and is pretty durable. It's not made for hacking like a kukri or a thick knife blade, but can be baton'd without a problem. The price, at $20, is unbeatable. for the kind of work you do in the bush (skinning, light wood work, carving, cutting cordage), the mora s-1 is great
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

I carrya Mora Cliper (EDC). For me it keeps an edge. If I loose it or it breaks, I will not have to sit down and cry. It cuts Bacon.

Try one and see for yourself. They are not that expencive. If you do not like it, send it to me and I'll use the heck out of it for you!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I've had a Mora for over 15 years now. It doesn't get daily use but when I need it it's always sharp. Mine has had lots of use over the years.
    Wood handle is fine, keeps an edge with a little touch up once in a while. My only gripe is the sheath, hard plastic with a scrap of leather.
    For the price, it's just fine.

Thank for all that info guys, and thank you Aurelius95 for the welcom. I've been reading stuff on this forum for a long time, and it all seemed more helpful than blade forums, so I just decided to join. I'm planning on getting a good old Mora S-1 for my birthday comming up here pretty soon, and I lok forward to using it out in the woods.