Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blacksmiths!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I keep an eye out for old Nicholson and Sterrit files. They were made from 0-1 and 0-2

Old Stanly/Craftsman wood chisels were made from 1086 and tough as nails. I have seen them hammered into blades and even air cooled they made a serviceable blade.

Old long arch hay rake tines are good but will not make a large knife due to their diameter. I am not sure if there was a standard steel used for them but I treat them like 0-1 and they hold a good edge. You can also make some kick butt fire steels from then if you heat them to cherry red and quench in oil.

As for "junk yard steel" I have always suspected that the innards of a transmission would render some good blades if one could figure out the hardening and stress relief.

I also got a good blade out of a tie-rod end on one occasion but it took some help from a metallurgical engineer to get the temper right and he leaned more on his 30 years experience than his book learning. That was 20 years ago and I dare say I could not remember the exact color he got before dumping it in the oil quench.

Most of the time junk yard steel is a crap shoot, just like your railroad spikes.

Almost as big a crap shoot as buying production knives, which I do not believe are made from what they claim most of the time.
    Looks like a trip to the scrap-yard is in order... Do you recommend a really basic project for one of us "first-timers"? I don't know if a knife is too much, maybe a fire steel, just to get me started?

When you say fire steel I assume you mean flint striker?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When you say fire steel I assume you mean flint striker?
    Oops, my bad. That's what I meant. Looks like my "wilderness-vocab" could use a little work.

That's a cool little project. What is it made from?

Some stuff I made...

47.jpg

51.jpg

53.jpg

50.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roel View Post
    Some stuff I made...

47.jpg

51.jpg

53.jpg

50.jpg
    Really pretty work, Roel. What are the things in the third photo, if you don't mind my asking?

Awesome setup and work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice job Roel..

My striker is made from a hay rake tine.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Nice job Roel..

My striker is made from a hay rake tine.
    It doesn't look [I]that[I] hard to make a flint striker. Do you just heat the tine up, bend into shape with a set of tongs, and dip in a bucket of water, or is it more complicated?

that's about it after being hammered into shape.

here's a few links to my shop, well here's one link. I looked for a link to my smithy but couldn't find it.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-style-grinder

@Zack, arrow heads, Roman type. And it's not very difficult to make a flint striker, just make sure the carbon part of the steel is high enouhg. You can use a hay rake tine or the tang of a file.
    @Randyt, hay rake is the good stuff, it has the right hardness. I like the link to your 'grinder thing' but I saw that some of the pictures are missing..., why?

I'm not sure why some of the photos are missing.

Something has happened to the pics on photobucket. Those pictures are no longer in your library.