Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firestarting Help!

I've got some tea lights in my daypack. Maybe I should add some to my BOB.

TXyakr, thanks for the compliment and the link. I'll look it up.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I appreciate the comment. I didn't think about gathering needles from under the pine trees on m trip, those went to my "mattress". I did try needles that were starting to dry, though. They weren't working. I even took a match to them. They caught the flame, then went out within three seconds. I had never thought about bird nests to start a fire. It seems like they would be too dense, doesn't it?

Last night, I tried my ferro rod on some jute twine fluffs. One too 10-15 tries it went up, the other just didn't. I'll keep trying. Also, does anybody have advice about a striker? The size of my knife makes it kind of hard to place the rod into the bundle. I was just aiming the sparks last night, but I don't think it was useful.
    Get a used worn out hack saw and cut it to size...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

If Hunter have it his way, he would be bringing the stove in his kitchen for camping...hahahahahaha...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    If Hunter have it his way, he would be bringing the stove in his kitchen for camping...hahahahahaha...
    No. If Hunter had his way, it would be him and Ruth starting a friction fire. Not saying where...
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Y'all can "survive" if y'all want....I prefer to "Thrive"
    I don't "Run away to the wilderness".....I go there to live for a while...for hunting, or fishing, or re-enacting....or just traveling.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Dryer lint?....You don't have any dogs do you?
    Around here dryer lint smells like burning dog hair........and survival use was invented by Maytag.......cotton balls are cheap and work well.

Never underestimate the benefits of road flares.....I take them serious.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    MAN ! An I got slapped in the chops here for recommending a Bic lighter ! LOL
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Well, it wasn't by me........
    I still carry a Bic in everything I own....and quit smoking last year....
    To not carry a Bic, is just asking for trouble.

BTW the leather belt pouch as a both Mini Bic and Ferro rod/cotton balls

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, it wasn't by me........
    I still carry a Bic in everything I own....and quit smoking last year....
    To not carry a Bic, is just asking for trouble.

BTW the leather belt pouch as a both Mini Bic and Ferro rod/cotton balls
    I've got a pack of mini Bic's in my fire kit. I think I'm proficient with a ferro rod, but it's never bad to have a Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I'd venture a guess that most people that wander into the woods have at least one BIC with them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool As for me....

When I was asked recently "what was my favorite method for fire starting when I go camping," I answered that I use a butane charcoal starter. Forget "primitive," I want to eat dammit!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If God didn't want me to carry a BIC into the woods he wouldn't have invented them. I'm with Sarge. I don't need to do primitive. If you have a flamethrower handy it's all good by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If God didn't want me to carry a BIC into the woods he wouldn't have invented them. I'm with Sarge. I don't need to do primitive. If you have a flamethrower handy it's all good by me.
    Everyone who's ever been a kid knows about the hair spray and Bic lighter trick...

Everyone who's ever been a kid knows about the hair spray and Bic lighter trick...
    Some even know that with a Bic and spray can of Right Guard one can catch the bedroom curtains on fire. Of course, those same people also know that a serious azz whooping is soon to follow.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Some even know that with a Bic and spray can of Right Guard one can catch the bedroom curtains on fire. Of course, those same people also know that a serious azz whooping is soon to follow.
    Too bad neither of us knows anything about that sort of thing...

Are they safe? There'd have to be fumes, so could you cook with a fire you started with one?
    Zack, he mentioned that he used fallen pine as a fuel that he started with the 1/2 road flare. You wouldn't want to cook over pine directly until it had burned down to a coal bed. If I am stuck with pine as a cooking fuel I pull coals out of the fire and use those. If you have a snug fitting lid for your cook pot you can cook over pine. I would still stick to the hot coals myself though. Pines put out a pretty nasty smoke. The heavier the resin content (fatwood), the worse that smoke is.

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Or you can use insect repellent instead of right guard!......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If you have a metal container with a screw on lid, such as a pellet container, get some wet dead grass or any other natural tinder, and stuff it in the container so it's very compacted and full. Let it sit for a few weeks and it will be dry, and a great fire starter as it makes a hockey puck of dead grass. Just pull it apart a bit, separate the fibers and give it a spark with the ferro rod. It will light up fast, and last a while. If you have 4 or 5 containers you can make enough to the point where your not waiting. I mastered my ferro rod and have moved up to the gold old forged striker and chunk of flint

Bic is the primary way to go in my book. I carry one in my pocket non stop and whenever I am out "in the woods" I keep a spare in my fire kit along with matches, fatwood, cotton balls, fero rod, and candles. Bic is what gets used most of the time. The other stuff mostly gets "played with" and is reserved for problem moments.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Bic is the primary way to go in my book. I carry one in my pocket non stop and whenever I am out "in the woods" I keep a spare in my fire kit along with matches, fatwood, cotton balls, fero rod, and candles. Bic is what gets used most of the time. The other stuff mostly gets "played with" and is reserved for problem moments.
    Plus 1
    That's what in my kits....and pockets....