Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Firestarting Help!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Plus 1
    That's what in my kits....and pockets....
    I like wooden matches, but Bics are alright. Do you like the Bic minis?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Bic minis are what I carry and have been for years. I've never been let down by them.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Yeah....but any will work well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like the Bic mini cause it takes up less room in the pockets and kits. Just a personal preference.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Bic is the primary way to go in my book. I carry one in my pocket non stop and whenever I am out "in the woods" I keep a spare in my fire kit along with matches, fatwood, cotton balls, fero rod, and candles. Bic is what gets used most of the time. The other stuff mostly gets "played with" and is reserved for problem moments.
    Plus 2. I was taught at a young age to carry a lighter, even though I didn't smoke at the time.
    And when I quit smoking this year (one of my resolutions), I'll still carry a lighter in my pocket.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    And when I quit smoking this year (one of my resolutions), I'll still carry a lighter in my pocket.
    Best of luck. That is a tough task. Hunter quit, I am sure he could tell you all about it.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Blog Entries

Cool Regarding "primitive" fire making.

IMO, Primitive fire making knowledge has it's place. In reenactments for example. Experts can demonstrate how the early native Americans, Mountain Men, and other earlier pioneers made fire the old way. Also, if one has no other recourse and is in desperate need of a fire, then primitive methods are a great alternative. However, the thing to remember is that progress made things easier and more fool-proof.The conservation of energy is paramount in any survival situation. Expanding/wasting energy to start a fire when it would be much quicker and easier to use a lighter or a match is not wise. "Be Prepared" is the Scout motto and if you take that to heart then you should be okay...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Best of luck. That is a tough task. Hunter quit, I am sure he could tell you all about it.
    Yes still quit....was a year on December 11th, 11:32 A.M............Still a smoker, just haven't smoked anything.....
    Took major surgery........and don't want to do it again.

Still carry BIC's in everything, feel naked if I don't.....kinda a "Well I'm not gonna light a smoke, but I could if I had to"....some mag bars and ferro rods........Full kits in bags and vehicle's.

Best of luck on quiting....figure I saved about $5000 last year...That could be a lot of guns......

There is nothing easy about not smoking. I quit on 6/7/89. I figured that was a date I could remember.

Another thing I need help with is natural tinder selection. I think I found some fatwood, but I'm not sure. Does anybody have ant advice for finding it, as well as other natural tinder?
    Have you tried Birch bark,plant fluff from cattails, bullrushes, dandelions, inner bark from cedars, cypress, oak, grape vine? The key is to process the tinder down so that you have small fibers and shavings.

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Have you tried Birch bark,plant fluff from cattails, bullrushes, dandelions, inner bark from cedars, cypress, oak, grape vine? The key is to process the tinder down so that you have small fibers and shavings.
    You can also make fuzz sticks!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I have tried cattail fuzz and birch bark. I used the birch bark to catch and hold the flame from jute twine, which in my case burns very hot and very quickly, but I could never get the bark to catch a spark itself. I have had issues getting cattail fuzz to take a spark, but when it does, it goes like a thin stream of gasoline. It won't burn long enough for me to get secondary tinder on it. Have you got any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Back in the days when we had to chase the dinosaurs out of our Scout meetings, we learned to make "feather sticks". I suppose that we're talking about the same thing? Anyway, they worked well with matches, but I've never tried one with a ferro rod, I think I smell an experiment...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I find that I can process and get a much more efficient fire lay by just processing the wood down to the size I need to get a fire. If you google one stick fire or one stick fire drill you'll see the basic technique. Which works really great when there is no dry tinder to be had. If your using a ferro it might help to shave a little powder using the squared off back of you knife or machete.

Also, does anybody have advice about a striker?
    I went to my local big box hardware/home improvement store and bought one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YIWB9W/...SIN=B004YIWB9W
    I wrapped some duct tape around one end for a handle. It's small enough to allow you to place the ferro rod into the tinder and scrape it with short strokes to ignite it. It's a bit pricey but it works...the best imo. Or you can grind the spine of your blade at the point to do the same thing. I did that to my IZULA II and it is my go to knife when working with a ferro rod.

This product works magic with a ferro rod too: http://www.amazon.com/Corona-AC-8300...tool+sharpener
    I used a similar tool to sharpen the spines of all my bushcraft knives... good luck. Practice, PRACTICE, practice.

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

I learned a couple of things on a recent primitive overnight camping trip. The first was that I need help making fires. I've mastered the art of one match fires and I'm ready to move on to more primitive methods. I bought a ferro rod on ebay, I was excited to use it, and decided that this would be a good opportunity to do so. I bird-nested some jute twine, wiped some pine sap into the wad of fluff, and used the back of my knife to spark the ferro rod. I got a shower of sparks into the bundle, but it didn't go. I tried, and tried, and tried. Nothing. Does anybody have anybody advice?

Another thing I need help with is natural tinder selection. I think I found some fatwood, but I'm not sure. Does anybody have ant advice for finding it, as well as other natural tinder?
    it sounds like you need some char cloth or some chaga to get spark going when using a flint and steel or ferro rod, get a spark going and put the spark in the birds nest and blow lightly into it till in bursts into a flame, have your bone dry tinder ready and put the flaming nest under it. keep adding larger and dry wood as the fire gets going.

Gas works, I mean gas and a tin can. A small can works good tuna or something similar. Pour a 1/2 inch in the bottom of the can and light it up, the gas will vaporize and burn,should burn for 5-10 minutes long enough to get some wood started. You can see the can in the pic.Will try to post a pic.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by fjrmurph; 01-19-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Trying to post a pic

char cloth works great 1 spark and its burning

More like one spark and you have an ember.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by rhill1212 View Post
    char cloth works great 1 spark and its burning
    Little bit more to it than that......