Thread: Seed catalogs

Default Seed catalogs

Remember looking forward to getting the Burpee catalog mid-winter and thinking about what you are going to plant in your garden next spring? I got the Burpee catalog today... It sure is colorful. I get a kick out of their Shumway catalog too. That one has fun old-fashioned line art illustrations in it. They also own Cooks Garden too.

But when did gardening become a yuppy sport? I don't think there was anything in the slick full-color Burpee catalog less than $5.95 per packet of seeds, sometimes as few as 15 seeds. No pepper or tomato, carrot or zucchini is THAT special.
    You could also order started plants from them. Any 3...for $17.95! Plus shipping!
    Yeah, I'll get mine from the greenhouse guy up the street for 2 bucks a 6-pack. At least I'll know they'll grow here and because he uses the plants in his own fields they are usually disease free, not like the stuff you get at the big box stores.

And grafted garden plants? No Thanks.

Was doing the math on onion sets too. For 75 plants you pay $27.95. That's 37¢ per onion, assuming all of them produce an actual onion.

Too bad I already ordered my seed stuff from Territorial.
    And I have quite a few seeds saved from last year on things that did well.

Today it was nearly 50° outside. Was outside doing some spring cleanup but had to remind myself not to rake up the dead grass. Keeps the front yard from washing away. The ground isn't frozen yet and it was hard not to Think Spring. Still have 2 more months of winter at least. This must be the early January thaw. At least the solstice is passed and the days are getting longer. Supposed to rain tomorrow so will probably clean off the grow-light shelf in the garage. Flat surfaces somehow seem to collect a lot of junk. I'm going to try onions from seed again, planted mid January this time. I've pretty much decided though that with onions up here, I may as well just seed them out tight in a bed to grow as small sets for next year (I have some small onions I'm keeping as sets in the back hallway, done that way inadvertently.) I can get quite a lot of decent-sized 2" onions from seed, but looking for bigger. And easier to peel.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-27-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Had to laugh at this, I had a similar thing. Over here the big boys are Unwins and Marshalls. Used to get so excited about the catalogues arriving and planning the garden. To buy my seeds from them now, I need to take out a generous loan! I have found a few proper seed merchants that actually expect you to grow more than six of this and four of that so no longer use the bigger boys now, can't afford to.
    Still like looking through the catalogue though.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Default Heirloom plants

LowKey buying starter plants from a local independent nursery has generally been the best option for me. Second best is seeds or plants or cuttings from a friend locally. There are seed companies that sell the so called Heirloom plant seeds. This is because most of the vegetables and fruit sold in grocery stores have been hybridized to have thick skins (for shipping) and disease resistance but are low in taste as a side effect. These grow fast with swollen cells due to growth hormones.

I helped my daughter do a middle school science project with some of these growth hormones commonly used in grocery store fruits and vegetables. The results were interesting. Explains why they taste so blah. Also most bedding flowers are sprayed with growth retardants because people will not buy leggy plants, some vegetable starter plants are also sprayed with growth retardants as are the putting greens on golf courses. Makes you wonder about the fish, they should not be affected by these plant hormones.

Here is one catalogue but there are many more, buy or swap with friends locally whenever possible:

http://www.seedsavers.org/Catalog.html

Funny story: many years ago I bought a six pack of starter "sweet bell peppers" at Wal-Mart Nursery, they grew well but were all Jalapeño. When some roofers came to replace my roof I let them pick as many as they wanted. I was overwhelmed with them. Never bought plants from Wal-Mart again.

http://www.planetnatural.com/plant-growth-regulators/
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-28-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typos, PGR link

Winter cold and short dark day makes the those catalog's a welcome diversion.

Have always been a fan of the .19 cent seed packs sold locally and most everything has grown very well in our zone 5.

I do save some seeds, may favorite is a purple climbing bean........that I have saved seeds for many years.

Used to start up to 32 flat of plants, but have backed off....and use thye technical school's horticulture department sales for started plants.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default Avoiding vegetable diseases on Nightshades

There are many ways to avoid plant diseases attacking your Nightshade Vegetables other than just buying hybridized variaties resistant to these diseases. Some wild nightshades are naturally resistant to these diseases and cuttings from more desirable heirloom tomatoes, eggplants, peppers etc can be grafted onto them. This is a popular technique in topical and semi tropical regions. Also beneficial nematodes, ground cirrus peels, aluminum foil, and many more techniques. Starting your small plants in a "cold frame" or green house or plant two different varieties one in the early spring and one in the mid-summer. Hydroponics, or pots of many types.

If you have a small area try one indeterminate plant go vertical with several varieties of vegetables growing on it and prune off undesirables shoots, I would start with Tamarillo.
    http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...-vegetable.htm

DIY Cold Frame, to get tiny plant starters transplanted up to larger sizes or start from seeds you saved.
    http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...ame/index.html

Soil heating cable with thermostat if necessary for cold frame should be all most people need for starting seeds or small flats of plants. Walk in greenhouses are fun but very expensive and high maintenance, IMO. If you grow them in your home and get white flies that can be a PITA, difficult to get rid of these. in Cold Frame, one spray of Neem and they are gone.

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/80...5595--060-.htm

Shop around and find a better deal than this.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-28-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added more links

We use to get rid of white fly by burning oak leaves inside the greenhouse. I don't have one now but had an I-found-windows monstrosity when I was in high school. Now I just start the plants under lights in the garage. Since the furnace is out there, I don't need to buy the heating cable. I have a cold frame out in the garden already. Works great from mid-March on for cold hardy stuff like broccoli and onions if it isn't under a foot of icy snow. Wish it had a thermal lifter for the cover though. I've nearly cooked a few things on a warm April day.

Last year I got a pepper blight from some plants purchased at Agway. Remains to be seen if it will stay local to that bed or if the whole garden is infected. Will be trying some peppers in a bed about 30' away from the crime scene.

I just couldn't get over all the whiz bang crazy stuff they were selling in those catalogs. Red painted tomato stakes? I've heard red mulch works, but let's not take it too far. LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have a fridge for storing my seed collection but look forward to trying the latest hybrids every year. I’ve never been stuck on heirlooms.

Banned

Default Whatever make you happy

Here in Texas every county extension service seems to have a different culture. Some are very anti-organic and herbs and very pro the latest hybrids. Same with local gardening clubs. I have had friends who traveled from one county to another to get certified because they had strong feelings one way or another. People who left because of a new agent etc. It can get a bit like a religion. LOL

I have assisted in plant trials for the Texas A&M agrilife extension service. One of the most frustrating things was that some of the most successful varieties would sell well for a few years but then consumers would want something different. The large scale growers that supplied the seeds and plant starts would be forced by the retailers to offer new varieties even if they were not as good as some of the proven ones. So all these thousands of research hours and decades of experience were wasted. A fickle clientele. If I was in the restaurant and/or bar industry it would drive me crazy.

Bottom line if an old time gardener in your area tells you she/he has a great vegetable and shares some seeds, ask some basic questions about them and cherish them. Grow them, no need to chase the yuppies, unless that is fun for you. Just my personal perspective.