Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter jars

Default Peanut butter jars

As a peanut butter lover I have extra "jars". I hate to throw them in the trash. They have descent fitting lids, somewhat waterproof, and I've used them for different things. I've stored things like fire starting materials, rice, ammo, machine parts, etc. They elongate in the dish washer but, it does cleanse them better. Y'all got any ideas?

I too use them for the things you mention. I also buy coffee in the big cans as it is cheaper. I store some in the cleaned out PB jars for work, my trunk and my camping and hiking gear. My kids like to use them for crafts, bug specimen jars, and sandbox toys.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Are you talking plastic or glass......?
    Used to be a glass guy, but have been using the plastic jars lately for storing stuff....
    Still have way too many.....sadly.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like to use Powerade or Gatorade bottles instead of peanut butter. They are heavy, work well and a little easier to clean out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Are you talking plastic or glass......?.
    The plastic ones

I like the containers that frosting/cake icing come in. Not waterproof, but will keep items dry. I have a slew of 'em, and make very handy hardware containers. I label them on the sides and tops with the contents.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I use them. I take old bike inner tube and cut a round section to act as a lid seal.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Default Ultra light Breakfast mix

I have used the large plastic ones (40 oz Jif) for several days of my own mix of protein powder breakfast mixes in plastic bags. Several varieties based on milk, egg white, soy whey, vegetable, powdered peanut butter i.e. could be vegan from local grocery store "ready to go" in small snack bags (or vacuum seal) for each day. Remove from large PB jar put in gallon zip-lock, then dump one of small bags that contains 24 - 36 grams of protein (200 - 350 calories) and weighs approx 2-3oz (30-60 grams per snack bag) in jar add 12-20 oz of water shake and mix with spoon (some clumps). It does not work as well as those heavy duty containers sold for this specific purpose with metal wire shaker balls but is much lighter. This is not nearly as good as a hot breakfast of eggs, bacon and oatmeal but much faster and easy to do in darkness for an early morning start. I can easily get 4 to 5 days of breakfast in one 40 oz jars and it weights about 1 lb. (dry) But I never checked a full 5 days supply not including water with all containers and spoon, next time I will, always mix it up a little each time. 12 oz jar would probably work but I would need to add some mix and water then repeat the process until all the mix was gone or it would be too thick because those jars are smaller, obviously.

My 13 year old daughter tried one of my protein mixes one time and told me it tasted terrible, "that is NOT a smoothie!!" LOL
    Better than tree bark and bugs…

Edit: a good lid seal for me is tube of silicone caulk (bathroom and sink) very thin in the top of lid, let dry before putting lid on. But many other things also work: Teflon plumbers tape, generic engine gasket material (food grade neoprene etc).
    OK I will add a photo
    if only gone for 2,3 days fill space with oatmeal, nuts, snacks etc. (BTW regular oatmeal soaked in water is just fine but not delicious, my mother has been eating this every morning for decades, she does not heat the water. Good for digestion.)

BTW I will sometimes add a tablespoon of Nestle Carnation Instant Nonfat DRY Milk (in baking isle of grocery store) it improves the flavor some, but not as much as a cup of fresh ice-cream would LOL. I once heard a friend's wife say she added that to her kid's smoothies to help them like them more. OMG, reminds me of a neighbor when I was a kid who added sugar to her kid's water, they complained when I gave them a glass of plain water.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 01-07-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: gasket, seal, dry milk

Protein Powder?! Milk Whey?! Excuse me......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-06-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

This it?............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    As a peanut butter lover I have extra "jars". I hate to throw them in the trash. They have descent fitting lids, somewhat waterproof, and I've used them for different things. I've stored things like fire starting materials, rice, ammo, machine parts, etc. They elongate in the dish washer but, it does cleanse them better. Y'all got any ideas?
    when we get one empty, we fill them with very hot water and just let them set for a couple hrs, rinse them out and use them, I use them a lot in the shop for small ele parts, nuts, bolts ect.

Banned

Default different strokes for different folks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    All depends on your childhood and training I suppose.
    Your tolerance may be different if you had traveled for days with indigenous people of the Amazon who can live for days on just coarse manioc flour, guarana and açaí berries and then celebrate by drinking a manioc root mix that was made by the village's old ladies chewing and spitting it into a pot and letting it slowly ferment for days. (primitive cultures do strange behaviors for a buzz) No flushing porcelain either, a "private" outhouse if your are very lucky.

Heck, by contrast these dry protein smoothies on the trail seem delightful. Also a plastic container is easier to clean than a gourd, doesn't crack quite as easily, seals a little tighter. Everything is relative. Klean Kanteen makes good alternatives but they are heavier and more expensive.

But if you need a motor vehicle, a climate controlled cabin and refrigeration then there are over 100 million acres of American wilderness you may never see or experience.
    http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/fastfacts

Edit BTW manioc flour, guarana and açaí berries are very low in protein and other nutrients, if my childhood diet had been better I would probably be at least 2 inches taller. Water under the bridge.

protein_mix.jpg

a sampling when I cannot take a Ribeye steak or Huevos rancheros with me but still want to go far and travel light. Small jars of "protein butters" are fun snacks just be sure you wash spoon before next time with water and bit of soap or this grey stuff forms that may require some Imodium type of medication. Just take my word for it, not fun on the trail, may require many smooth stones and painful sour stomach. Not recommended way to "blaze a trail".
    Last edited by TXyakr; 01-07-2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: nutritional BS, photo and silly words

Old ladies spitting it into the pot?!

Blog Entries

I keep all manner of jars and containers. They're always useful.

+1 Rick. On both counts.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

The preacher stopped by the old ladies house to check on her. She had a dish of peanuts on the table and he munched on a few as they chatted. He commented on how tasty they were. "Oh, I don't like the nuts." she said. "I just like the chocolate coating."

Blog Entries

I just threw up in my mouth a little......
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth a little......
    I call that the two for one special. You ate it once, but got to taste it twice!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I call that the two for one special. You ate it once, but got to taste it twice!
    Second time around ain't so good.....

Banned

Default Reuse disposable containers, strange things I have eaten and avoided

Reusing various containers is critical while hiking (backpacking) remotely. I rarely throw away even a small plastic bag or disposable bottle if I can stand to carry the weight and bulk. Simple folk I spent time with in the bush used metal food and kerosene cans to store food in (like rice they harvested) because these containers are more rodent resistant than gourds or clay pots. Not much went to waste in their society. I should not go out of my way to gross out Rick, Winnie and others but the village pigs could get impatient at times with their mouths open waiting for their next meal to drop under the "outhouse" on stilts. I never had a great appetite for pork there. Chicken, duck and fish that eat bugs and such was always more pleasant to me. Once I caught a small, juvenile peccary while out hunting, the villagers would keep them around to call in the herds so it would not be so far to go hunting. The young peccary would follow us around because they had a strong herd instinct, even it we swam out into the strong river current. Finally they grew large and dangerous and became our dinner. Taste better than domestic pork IMO, perhaps because they posses a more discerning diet.

I always thought those pigs tasted like....nah....too easy. Not gonna do it.