Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bag issues

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Experience is a great teacher, as you just found out

What ever you do and come up with.....keep trying it out till it work, you are comfortable....and you can carry it if you have to.....some how.

My vehicles carry a lot of gear and supplies.....but are broken down into carry able bag/boxes....if necessary.
    I've trimmed down my kit significantly, but I'm still comfortable with what's in it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I've trimmed down my kit significantly, but I'm still comfortable with what's in it.

Trimming down to nothing is not the goal. That is why most of us consider the vehicle our basic gear carrier. There may be units inside that vehicle that we can roll or carry with us if we must abandon the vehicle, but we realize that our comfort and survival capabilities are being trimmed along with the gear.

There is a big difference between enduring a miserable over night trip and realizing that you are going to face the same thing tomorrow night, and the night after, and it will go on forever.

For a cold weather bag I would check out any of the military issue units. I keep one of the old down insulated mummy bags which is probably older than many of the folks on this forum. I hate it, and I can not sleep in it, but it will keep me warm and alive when the temps fall below zero. 8 hours of blissful rest is not a survival requirement.

And kudos on making an overnight trip in early winter. Many would not attempt it and never know the real limitations of their gear.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Trimming down to nothing is not the goal. That is why most of us consider the vehicle our basic gear carrier. There may be units inside that vehicle that we can roll or carry with us if we must abandon the vehicle, but we realize that our comfort and survival capabilities are being trimmed along with the gear.

There is a big difference between enduring a miserable over night trip and realizing that you are going to face the same thing tomorrow night, and the night after, and it will go on forever.

For a cold weather bag I would check out any of the military issue units. I keep one of the old down insulated mummy bags which is probably older than many of the folks on this forum. I hate it, and I can not sleep in it, but it will keep me warm and alive when the temps fall below zero. 8 hours of blissful rest is not a survival requirement.

And kudos on making an overnight trip in early winter. Many would not attempt it and never know the real limitations of their gear.
    Thanks for the compliment. By trimming my kit down, I didn't mean chucking useful items in order to save weight, but just stepping back, looking at the kit's contents, and removing anything that I could do without in the short term. Was there a real need for 200' of paracord? What about a enormous fire kit? A cast-iron frying pan? It was this type of gear that got removed/replaced. I now have 100' of paracord, a fire kit that is about half the size of my old one (still effective: Lighters, matches, fire starter, dryer lint, wetfire cubes), and a USGI mess kit, with the attached frying pan. I think I've got most of my bases covered. If anybody wants a full rundown if the contents, just ask.

Yeah, if you could give us a full run down and pictures of the gear, it would help us help you. We could offer other alternatives, mention what you could do without, and things that might be beneficial to add. Otherwise, we are throwing darts while blindfolded.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My pack is a medium ALICE pack in woodland camo with the straps only, no frame. I'll try to get photos up.

In the admin pocket, I have a pen and pencil, compass, and I'm going to get a couple maps. Do you have any recommendations of where to get maps? AAA? Google?

In the left pocket, I keep a 1Q Nalgene bottle with a cup on the bottom.

In the center pocket I have a fire kit, fixed blade, trowel, and other minor things.

On the right, I have a USGI mess kit with Esbit stove, matches, tinder, CRKT Eat'n Tool, and some other little eating gadgets. Fuel tablets will be in there soon.

In the main pocket, I have a wool blanket, hygiene kit, and 50' of paracord. Food is on its way. Recommendations on what I should get?

In the radio pouch, I have shelter gear. Stakes, ridgeline, tie-down lines, emergency blankets, and a tarp. I hope to get a CamelBak in this pocket one day.

This is all from memory, but I'll add to it if I find anything else. Are there any opinions?

I like Google Earth for maps. You can store them in a ziplock bag. You can print out what you want at what elevation you want it. Don't forget railroad routes and power line routes as well. You can generally do a google search for those. Here's a list for topo maps for Delaware.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...s+for+delaware

Rand McNally also makes some very nice laminated regional highway maps. I have one for my state, my region, an Indiana road atlas as well as a US road atlas in both vehicles.

I carry a first aid kit with me where ever I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I like Google Earth for maps. You can store them in a ziplock bag. You can print out what you want at what elevation you want it. Don't forget railroad routes and power line routes as well. You can generally do a google search for those. Here's a list for topo maps for Delaware.

Rand McNally also makes some very nice laminated regional highway maps. I have one for my state, my region, an Indiana road atlas as well as a US road atlas in both vehicles.

I carry a first aid kit with me where ever I go.

I have a general FAK that goes with me anytime I go outside. I'm working on one that stays in the pack 100% of the time though. Also, I forgot to add that I carry a mini Maglite in the pack too. Thanks for the links.

I am not sure how your area does things, but in my neck of the woods the engineers office for each county has free county maps. I collected three sets of my county and every county that surrounds me. I added this to a Rand McNally U.S. Atlas. I update the county maps whenever new editions come out and I find that the Atlas is good enough for five years intervals, although a new edition is released every year.

Outside of that, it is GPS on the phone.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I am not sure how your area does things, but in my neck of the woods the engineers office for each county has free county maps. I collected three sets of my county and every county that surrounds me. I added this to a Rand McNally U.S. Atlas. I update the county maps whenever new editions come out and I find that the Atlas is good enough for five years intervals, although a new edition is released every year.

Outside of that, it is GPS on the phone.
    I'll try to get some tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Try here:
    http://udspace.udel.edu/handle/19716/3389
    I've downloaded a few.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

i would pile up what I need, separate or classify them under certain group or bundle, get a bag that owuld fit, and maybe able to fit in something extra..like my Colt .45
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

It's usually those outlying stragglers that predators pick off. Just sayin'......[/COLOR]
    I think that's location specific, here in Greece and the UK (where i'm from) there are only a few major cities where that would be even a concern never mind a problem.

Sorry, but that's a little short sighted. When it comes to survival some people will do whatever they deem necessary. Greece has had its fair share of disasters, war and atrocities. The Turkish invasion of Cyprus was just 40 years ago. They still control part of the island today.

Sorry, but that's a little short sighted. When it comes to survival some people will do whatever they deem necessary. Greece has had its fair share of disasters, war and atrocities. The Turkish invasion of Cyprus was just 40 years ago. They still control part of the island today.
    I think it's a bit of push to put a a invasion in the same context as as having a bit of a tarp up just off to one side of a government shelter after a natural disaster.

No doubt there are opportunists in every society around the world, if we look back at the bad earthquake here in Athens in 99 though there was no unrest or civil disturbance, everybody pulled together to help as much as they could.

Look at the bombings in London on 7/7, very very little opportunistic crime reported as generally people pulled together.

Then there is the Costa Concordia running aground, i'm 100% certain that people were clambering over anyone or anything else to get safe, but once on dry land at Isola del Giglio everyone pulled together, houses were opened up to shelter strangers, mobile phones were shared and people helped.

Even in New York after Hurricane Sandy people who had power were offering to charge other peoples phones, food/water was distributed and there were very few civil disturbances or opportunistic thieving.

If people are watching their loved ones starve to death then of course all bets are off, but if we look at many over natural disasters then there is far far far more good being done than bad.

Personally i wouldn't be concered about my family taking some quiet time under a tarp on the outside of a rescue centre over here in Athens or where i'm from in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs
    Look at the bombings in London on 7/7, very very little opportunistic crime reported as generally people pulled together.

And you're talking about a very small scale problem of relatively short duration. The same with the Concordia. You're welcome to do whatever you feel comfortable with, however. It's your life.

If they'll loot and riot in Greece because of austerity, don't think for a minute that those same "entitled" individuals wouldn't take advantage of a tragedy. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1021366
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And you're talking about a very small scale problem of relatively short duration. The same with the Concordia. You're welcome to do whatever you feel comfortable with, however. It's your life. [/COLOR]
    Fair enough, but the earthquake in Athens in 99 and hurricane Sandy in New York were certainly not problems of short duration.
    Likewise the Earthquake a tsunami in Japan 2011.

All these disasters did more to pull people together than give criminals opportunities.
    Sure there were some bad apples but the vast vast vast majority of people pulled together, there were very very few reports of opportunistic criminals hurting, killing or stealing from people during these events.

As i say i can understand your concern, but in my experience so far i think that the sort of social problems you were thinking about tend to bit restricted to certain areas.
    Don't get me wrong, there are areas of London, Manchester, Edinburgh etc i would be very wary about walking through, never mind setting up a tarp, but still a tarp weighs next to nothing even IF the rescue centre you end up in is suspect, it would even make a good curtain inside the bunk hall to give the family a little privacy.
    Or of course we could chose not to use it at all, for me though it's a nice option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
    .....snip.....
    All these disasters did more to pull people together than give criminals opportunities.
    Sure there were some bad apples but the vast vast vast majority of people pulled together, there were very very few reports of opportunistic criminals hurting, killing or stealing from people during these events....snip...
    I believe that to be the case in most places that you see unrest after a disaster. While generally small and localized, it does receive the most media attention. The stories of good will and caring don't garner the ratings that the other stories do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If they'll loot and riot in Greece because of austerity, don't think for a minute that those same "entitled" individuals wouldn't take advantage of a tragedy. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1021366
    Completely separate problem though.
    Those were protests against the government, a very complex history and thinking behind that sort of behaviour.

Look back to the aftermath of the 1999 quake and there are very very very few reports of criminals taking advantage of the opportunity.

One other thing to consider.
    If a evacuation is called it would be a criminal and his/her entire family at the centre, it would be extremely bad for a kid to embarrass his/her family by taking advantage of someone less fortunate.
    It's also highly likely that anyone that heard or witnessed the encounter would come to help, again any possible crims know this.

By the by though, if you are to afraid to use the tarp outside as i said above you could even use it a curtain to provide a bit of privacy, or leave it in your bag and don't use, a decent rap takes up very little space and it can be very very light weight.
    It gives you choices.

I've been looking through my camping gear, and I found an old sleeping bag that a relative gave to me. I think that it will be a lot warmer that just the wool blanket. Also, natertot, I appreciate your advice on the maps, I got a map of my county today, free of charge. I'll continue to post on any alteration I make to the kit.