Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bag issues

Default Bug Out Bag issues

I recently acquired a new pack that I hope to make into my new bug out bag. It's a Medium ALICE pack in woodland camo, not OD. I like it because it's roomy, has just enough pockets, and was less than $10 on ebay. However, I've got issues with it already. First, the pack didn't come with shoulder straps. I have an OD ALICE, which has the whole frame, but I want the camo one to go straps-only.

Next up is food. How much food do you folks take in a BOB? What food do you take? Where do you get it cheapest?

Next is shelter. Is a hardware store tarp, a couple Mylar blankets, and a wool USGI blanket enough?

Finally, what accessories do you need? I've got a knife, basic fire kit, and other very basic gear, but what should I get that I may be forgetting? I live in Delaware, where we've got dense forests with small creeks that run through them. Anybody have any advice?
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-24-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Zack, I edited your post. We do have a sale/trade section but you need 100 posts to list items there for sale or trade.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oops, sorry. My bad. It won't happen again, until I get 100 posts, that is.

If you want the camo one straps only then order straps. Make certain you check your eBay purchase closely and see if it was supposed to include straps before you buy some.

In order to answer the rest of your questions you need to tell us where you intend to bug out to. My plans are to bug out to family or a hotel so what's in my pack would be very different than someone that wants to bug out to the woods.

What is your idea time limit? Would you be bugging out for 3 days or 3 months?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Zack, I do not subscribe to a "Bug Out Bag" but I do have a "Get Home Bag" which may be similar for your purposes. Mine too is a medium ALICE with straps only in OD. I avoid camouflage to avoid looking too "tactical" and drawing unnecessary attention to me in the event I have to use it.

Food consists of three packets of instant oatmeal, three pouches of tuna (Pouches are lighter than cans and store better), three pouches of chicken, three cliff bars, bag of jerky, bag of trail mix, and three "Cup O Noodles" removed from package and crushed up then stored in sealed bags.

Our shelter is pretty much the same. Not sure what your tarp dimensions are, but mine is a 10'x12'. I also have a half dozen cheap aluminum tent stakes and 50' of paracord with it.

If you are comfy and proficient with your fire kit in all conditions, keep it. I also added an Esbit Stove with fuel to mine for times/locations where an actual fire would not be beneficial. I also have the "trick" candles that don't blow out for windy conditions. I love those things.

I good, basic first aid kit that works for you should be added to your bag. My first aid kit also has water purify tabs in them as a back up to not having fire. I would also add a little bit of clothing. A pair of wool socks, under garment, cargo pants and wool sweater are in mine.

All this will give you shelter, clothing, food, and water. Enough to get through for three days, maybe more if you ration your resources right and know how to employ everything right. I suggest testing out the bag by using it on an overnighter camping. Find out what works, what didn't, what items you caught yourself saying "gee, I wish I had.......". This will tell you more than any of us could about what you need.

Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime you want.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    What is your idea time limit? Would you be bugging out for 3 days or 3 months?
    Three months is not bugging out, but rather relocating. Just sayin'.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't know how many of you guys were on the East Coast when Hurricane Sandy hit, but I was. We didn't get hit very hard in Delaware but people in New Jersey and New York did. A friend of my family's lived on the coast, and we asked her how her house made out. "It didn't." was her answer. I know people over there are still recovering from the storm, as are people in New Orleans. A storm like that could disable a lot for a long time. My plans are to head to a relative's house, who lives outside of the "disaster zone". Their home, however, is 2 1/2-3 hours away. The roads to get there are a mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas. Ideally we would take a car or truck, but if traffic gets too congested, we get our packs on and start walking. The distance is approximately 80 miles from my house to the "BOL". I think I've got half of a good kit done:

As far as water goes, I've got an aluminum water bottle and some USGI 1 quart canteens.

For shelter, all I've got is a Red Cross rescue blanket, an emergency blanket ($1 variety), and a hardware store tarp. If it was too cold, I might take a USGI blanket.

If something occurred right now, all I'd have for food is a couple cans of soup from the pantry (exactly why I'm asking for help).

I've got some Buck knives, a fire kit, first aid kit, some simple tools, cordage, Maglites, compass (no map though), and a few other odds and ends too.

I hope this info helps, thanks for the replies.

80 miles is not a great distance as long as you leave prior to the storm making landfall. Ideally, you want to have clothes, personal hygiene, medicines and money in small denominations since power might be out and cash registers and ATM's might not be working. Think about what you would need to live for a week at some other location and make certain you have that in your bag/vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    80 miles is not a great distance as long as you leave prior to the storm making landfall. Ideally, you want to have clothes, personal hygiene, medicines and money in small denominations since power might be out and cash registers and ATM's might not be working. Think about what you would need to live for a week at some other location and make certain you have that in your bag/vehicle.
    I agree, but if something were to prohibit my evacuation or an entirely different scenario presented itself, I would like to have a general purpose bag. Thanks for the opinion though, it's something that I hadn't quite thought of yet.

I only do GHB. For that, 3 daze food.. longer if I starve myself, TP, water filter, tarp, weapon, ammo, etc... Ya know, the stuff you might need if it takes 3 daze to get home.

EB

Wait just a minute everybody! I just solved problem 1. In the very bottom of the rucksack, I found a set of shoulder straps! There goes problem 1, but I've still got 2,3, and 4. Keep the responses coming! I'm learning a lot! Merry Christmas!

I do want to resound what Rick and ElevenBravo said. Hygiene, script meds, cash, toilet paper, and a firearm are essentials as well. Hygiene items I have include small toothbrush, small tube toothpaste, small 2oz bottle of wash suitable for body and hair, small stick of deodorant, toilet paper, small travel pack of baby wipes, and a small 1oz bottle of hand sanitizer. I always forget to mention script meds cause I'm not on any. As far as cash goes, I carry $100 in a small case away from my wallet. I consists of $10 in quarters, $40 in ones and $50 in fives. I keep small denominations because of the likelihood that change won't be given. In my case, I won't get shorted more than 24cents. Pretty good in my book. As far as a firearm goes, I keep a small cache of options and types of ammo available. Gotta look at what works for you.

It has been brought up, but can't be stressed enough......
    Build your bag, ....take it out and try to camp over night with it....then extend a couple of days.
    Three days isn't bad, one week do able on carried stuff......more is pushing it.

Then try to carry it with all your packed gear.....one tends to over pack or under pack.

As far a guns and ammo, you state laws will apply.....and big survival knives may also be outlawed.....Know your laws and rules.

Have you ever walked 80 miles?....What time of year?....Bug out's usually aren't planned.....they happen.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

where,s my ^%%$# post it took over 20min to type and what i,m bumped ote fourm and my post gets zapped as well
    what,s up with that^^&^%$##

I am going on a primitive overnight later this week. I'll try out a kit then. Then build on it or trim it down. Then, after another outing, I'll remove or add to it again. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the trip goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I am going on a primitive overnight later this week. I'll try out a kit then. Then build on it or trim it down. Then, after another outing, I'll remove or add to it again. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the trip goes.
    Outstanding....that's the way to get your personnel needs taken care of....then you will know.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    where,s my ^%%$# post it took over 20min to type and what i,m bumped ote fourm and my post gets zapped as well
    what,s up with that^^&^%$##
    This was explained to you the last time you accused moderators of deleting your post. Go back and read the answers and suggestions.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I don't know how many of you guys were on the East Coast when Hurricane Sandy hit, but I was. We didn't get hit very hard in Delaware but people in New Jersey and New York did. A friend of my family's lived on the coast, and we asked her how her house made out. "It didn't." was her answer. I know people over there are still recovering from the storm, as are people in New Orleans. A storm like that could disable a lot for a long time. My plans are to head to a relative's house, who lives outside of the "disaster zone". Their home, however, is 2 1/2-3 hours away. The roads to get there are a mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas. Ideally we would take a car or truck, but if traffic gets too congested, we get our packs on and start walking. The distance is approximately 80 miles from my house to the "BOL". I think I've got half of a good kit done:

As far as water goes, I've got an aluminum water bottle and some USGI 1 quart canteens.

For shelter, all I've got is a Red Cross rescue blanket, an emergency blanket ($1 variety), and a hardware store tarp. If it was too cold, I might take a USGI blanket.

If something occurred right now, all I'd have for food is a couple cans of soup from the pantry (exactly why I'm asking for help).

I've got some Buck knives, a fire kit, first aid kit, some simple tools, cordage, Maglites, compass (no map though), and a few other odds and ends too.

I hope this info helps, thanks for the replies.
    Another important point, in addition to those already made.......

Do not confuse a BOB for disaster planning. The BOB is only one, very small part of it. For a weather related event such as a hurricane there is almost always (as there was for Sandy) ample time to gather up a lot of things and evacuate in a timely manner.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Zack, Trying out your gear and adding what you need, subtracting what you don't and replacing things with alternatives that work better for you is a constant and ongoing thing when it comes to these kind of preps. Once you have "arrived" with it, then you will need to regularly check it out to make sure the equipment is in good order and that items haven't expired. Things like meds and food especially for expiration dates. Want to make sure things that are made out of metal aren't rusted. Cloth and line isn't moldy or mildewy. Lighters, matches, fuels etc are still in operating order. You get the idea at this point.

Crash is right about formal evacuations. There is usually 24-72 hours to get out of the area before disaster strikes. You have your basic bag which will take care of you, but use a little time to add to it. More food, a few larger fist aid items, more blankets and pillows, a few more firearms and more ammo, perhaps some sentimental items or heirlooms as well. You got the vehicle(s), pack it (them) with as much as you can. Stop by the gas station and top off, fill up a few 5gal gas cans too. Stop at the bank at take a few thousand dollars with you too. Why stay under a tarp when you can drive 400-500 miles and stay at a nice hotel and enjoy that continental breakfast? Not sure of your family situation. I have a wife, two kids, and a dog. If I have to beat feet from home, things are pretty bad and I have a lot of things to contend with.

That is why I live where I do. I am outside of tornado alley, although one or two pop up on occasion without too much damages. I am beyond the reach of hurricanes and just get the after effects. Worse thing that has brought on so far was about a week without electricity. There aren't really earthquakes, although we had one that could be felt about three years ago but no damage occurred. My biggest concerns are loss of utilities and civil unrest. Anything beyond that, I will pack up the cars with what is needed, head to family outside the zone, and let insurance pay the rest. That leads to the most overlooked prep of all. Finances. But that is a topic for another thread. Maybe even another forum.....