Thread: Actual definitions and Uses of a BOB!

Default Actual definitions and Uses of a BOB!

Heard many people talked about Bug Out Back or Get Me Home Bags.

Can someone, intelligently and philosophically give the actual definition of a BOB and when does one actually uses it?
    Reading this forum, gives me some different meaning to it.
    So can someone make the final stand?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

No, we can't.

Not to be rude, but it is impossible to standardize the BOB or GHB.

We can make recommendations on the contents but each bag will differ based on climate, type of disaster or incident anticipated, skill level and personal preference and comfort desires of the individual.

Same for the bug out vehicle.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

pssssst....just an excuse to buy new gear and play......
    No one really wants to Bug out......and leave all that cool stuff behind......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No plans to bug out unless a tornado or fire takes my house! I have a get home bag, and I change things all the time to suite my needs and likes.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this...

Kyrat nailed it! There is no "one size fits all" BOB! Your BOB contents will be determined based on your situation that arises. It may not be running off into the woods but traveling to an urban area to stay at a motel or with relatives. Prescription medicine, infant needs such as diapers, bottles and formula will be things to consider. Many have "romanced" the idea of a BOB into something that it is not. There are several "types" of bags. When I drive my bus I carry on a small backpack that I call my "War Bag." In it are items that I may need giving the demands of my job. When I travel to my magic club I carry a "magic" bag that contains performance equipment in case I'm called on to perform. When I go camping I carry my camping gear in my backpack which is my "camping bag." The family BOB contains important papers such as Birth Certificates, Marriage License, ETC. Medical equipment and food can also be included if that's what it's going to take. Your situation will dictate your BOB contents....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I don't think he was asking about contents, but rather just a definition. If that's the case....

BOB = bug out bag. When you absolutely have to leave RIGHT NOW! It can be kept near an exit so that it is grabbed on the way out the door. It is literally when you do not have time to gather things to take with you. An example might be in the case of a house fire. Get out and get out now. That is one of the things on my list and why my BOB includes important numbers, copies of insurance and other important papers, some cash (paper and coins), change of clothes (which may be the only clothes you have if it happens while sleeping).......the list goes on, but hopefully this gives you an idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good call Crash, Sorry tokwan misunderstood your question.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Geezzz...and I tot my english was baddd...muahahahahahahahahaha...(its great to be able to rub in salt..hahahahahah)...

Crash answerd my question...so its not for a certain event, but when you gotta leave in a hurry (maybe when a tornado is approaching, home on fire, Swat team and feds approaching to apprehend you for wearing only 1 thong for a single year..., yep, that 's what I thought too...and its like an improved survival kit with all your credentials and documents that you need and other things, the contents being very subjective.
    Thank you Crash!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    pssssst....just an excuse to buy new gear and play......
    No one really wants to Bug out......and leave all that cool stuff behind......
    On another site, a poster listed their BOB contents and I replied "your Bug Out Bag must be as big as a mobile home."

Crash is spot on with the BOB. The get home bag is similar to the BOB, except is kept in the vehicle. The get home bag is something that can be deployed to help you get home in the event you become stranded and/or have to desert your vehicle. This could be for many reasons from a disabled vehicle to natural disasters and civil unrest to terrorist attack. My get home bag is more than a bag, it is a trunk full. This is because my first desire to get home is to use my car and I hope that if my car is disabled (flat tire, stuck in snow, etc.) I can get it on its way again. If I can't get it going, my next option is to call a friend/family for a ride and let a tow truck take it to my repair center. My other concern is civil unrest since my area has a history of it and is still heavily divided. If I can't use my car due to civil unrest, my plan is to reach a safe zone and get picked up by family/friends. I find it hard to believe in the 30 miles from work to home that I would have to hike every last bit of it.

I hope this helps you with the get home portion of things.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I look at it as an extended survival kit with all the essentials of having to live outside in it, and all your credentials with it?

BOB, A bag with whatever you think you may need inside, mostly used for emergencies or general survival!