Thread: Shooting my first big batch of reloads...

Default Shooting my first big batch of reloads...

Shooting our first big batch of reloads, I wish I started this a LONG time ago!

It takes a LOT or time and effort on a single stage press, but the loads are consistent and are a LOT cheaper than factory.. One down side, pistol powder is a hard find right now...

EB

Outstanding.......cool shooting your own ready rolls...

FYI...check out several loading manuals, many pistol loads and shot gun loads use the same powders......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good on ya! Reloading adds a whole new perspective on the shooting sports.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

FYI, my setup is on the shoe string.

Lee C-Style single stage press
    .357 4 die set off ebay, used, $25
    .45 and 9mm 4 die sets new off ebay
    Two Lee Ram Primes, love these!!
    Lee Perfect Powder, works good enough for handgun for sure!
    Lee Safety Scale, good beam scale, used off ebay
    Hornady GS-1500 from Sportsmans Warehouse, inexpensive, but good!
    Lee powder funnel
    Harbor Freight digital calipers (because the .00X doesnt matter to me)

Ive bought all this over the course of about 2 months, sold a few things
    on ebay to get the money for 90% of what I have.

Running CCI small and large primers, brass from Diamond K and OnceFiredBrass, bullets were HSM
    and Berry's from Sportsmans Warehouse.

Ive only lucked out on one 1 lb jug of Allient Power Pistol.

Hoping to get a Hog Hunter #11 (because Im an iron sight kinda guy) this summer.

9mm is pretty cheap, .45 and .357 are where Im getting the best bang for my buck!

Ive got about 600 cases of range pickup 9mm. Getting ready to start loading some of them...

7.62X39... Not a chance I can reload enough, I buy Tula and Wolf, they fire just fine and
    dirt cheap, too cheap to consider reloading.

Once I start with .308, Ill save even more! Mostly plinking, will load a few for hunting.

EB

To save even more, shoot .357 and .38spl with cast lead and reduce to powder charge. Makes for good cheap plinking out to 30yds for about $6 per 50.

Also .38spl and .357 can be loaded with black powder. It'll make your gun dirty, but it will stretch your pistol powder for other uses.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Better get with the program and order your rifle powder now while some is still available. I have not seen any pistol or shotgun powder on the commercial market in nearly 2 years. Rifle powder still pops up on occasion, especially for the mid-rage calibers like .308.

Natchez Shooters Supply often has some usable rifle powder offerings if you do not get your heart set on one specific powder. Versatility is the name of the game these days.

When you get to the .308 check out Midway for their supply of bulk bullets. They often offer slugs with surface discoloration blems at half the normal cost.

And do not load up a big batch of rifle cartridges before you thoroughly test small batches working up to a max recommended load. Often a single 1/10 grain change in powder charge will turn a 4" group in to a 1" group and most of the time it will be pushing the max load when you hit the happy number.

And when you get to the rifle loads you will need a good shooting rest, sand bags and all the "cheater gear". After all, you are testing the bullets, not your shooting ability.

As for "big batches" of pistol ammo,,, you will know you are in the big batch category when you start counting buckets instead of boxes.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sorry, just rambling along. Can't help myself.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-20-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Good tips there Ky, thanks much!

I did build a smaller batch and test fired before settling on the formula and going with a big batch.

Same here, powder is hard to find... and least any powder that will do anyone some good!

EB