Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time measurement in wilderness

Really? How long should it take for someone interested to figure out where they live the sun is rising more north or south than true east? Then just keep sun to left or right after you figure it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I wasn't going to come back to this thread, but...

My neck of the woods isn't to far from a road here in central FL. Traveling in western USA, Canada, and Alaska I carried map and compass period. I got schooled hiking into the lava flows in HI at night. Or rather back out. Oopsie compass don't work. Magnetics and such.

Clear skies and stars got me back no problem.

I have a learning disability with gps.

Sun and stars don't fail.
    Last edited by madmax; 03-26-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma
    new dudes always seem to upset the apple cart at first.
    Actually, they don't. Just the occasional odd one. Your bushcraft skills seem to be good. You're people skills...not so much.

Fair enough. I shall work on that one.

compass.

works when you have nothing else. a watch is better

@Madmax... please don't go to the east... it's hopeless, you never find it... grin...

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post
    Really? How long should it take for someone interested to figure out where they live the sun is rising more north or south than true east? Then just keep sun to left or right after you figure it out.

some hunters over this way died because they followed the rising sun away from camp, hunted all day, then followed the setting sun back to camp (they were kilometres away). The point to survival training is to bring real world celestial Nav info, to the untrained. I don't really have much interest in the 'she'll be right' attitude people have to the outdoors. That's the sort of over confidence which makes people statistics. Probably comes across here as a right nit picking idiot, but that's what I do as a living. :-)

N,S,E and W are cardinal points, not bearings to a destination. No matter how they estimated north they would have the same issue. And I don't have any interest in celestial nav.

Last edited by jdbushcraft; 04-09-2015 at 04:54 PM.

I agree totally with you. People really need to learn proper Navigation for outdoor activities. :-)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    some hunters over this way died because they followed the rising sun away from camp, hunted all day, then followed the setting sun back to camp (they were kilometres away). :-)
    How did they find this information out from dead men?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbushcraft View Post

Living as close as I do to the Arctic Circle, we can have as much as 7 minutes a day in loss or gain of daylight. Add it up for a week and that's losing or gaining over 45 minutes a week. It's pretty crazy around here the closer to Solstice (June and December) we are. So while our sun kind of rises in the east, and kind of sets in the west, it's more south east and south west and has very much to do with the time of year.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 04-10-2015 at 04:22 AM.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

i used to live in eielson air force base, when my dad was stationed up there. about four years.

on my birthday, the sun never really went down. on my brothers birthday, the sun never really came up. i can see how that could get pretty confusing for land nav...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrat

Extensive sand drawings before they died.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Tracking them. Once bodies are found, or people go missing, authorities piece together the circumstances surrounding the cause, to save inquests etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Extensive sand drawings before they died. [/COLOR]
    No, Trackers are employed here, to search for people, especially in semi arid regions.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Auban View Post
    i used to live in eielson air force base, when my dad was stationed up there. about four years.

on my birthday, the sun never really went down. on my brothers birthday, the sun never really came up. i can see how that could get pretty confusing for land nav...
    Yep. And I live north of Eielson.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I'm new to the forum, so forgive any assumptions....

What I'm thinking is a typical sundial...stick in the ground and track the shadow as it changes position over the day....With the horizontal motion, you should have a tighter arc than the typical half-circle, but I'm thinking you can still use it to gauge number of hours that pass. You'd get tricked up by the shadow going back in reverse quicker than normal, but you'd have to account for what little "sunset" there was. I don't live in the area, but those "sunsets" change the sky color to a red due to the angle of rays as they hit the Earth. You could measure each red sky as midnight and start counting hours from there.

Another thought would be if you know your typical pace and could determine your general distance traveled. Most hikers can cover about a mile of fairly easy terrain at a light pace in about 20 minutes. Just a thought.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....
    There is an into section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Time measurement in the wilderness ? What for ? I go to the wilderness to "get away" from time ! Don't need no stink time measurement in the wilderness !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I may have stated before.......
    I need to know legal starting time to hunt in the morning.....and what time I have to legally quit in the evening.......That's about it.
    Knowing what Day season opens is good....and of course what day it closes is also good.

Knowing where you are, is probably more important that what time it is.

Mastering both out in the wilderness is a good skill to have....But a good old Timex works pretty well....I like the "Indigo" series.....About $20 bucks up, leather or web band.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27