Thread: Gear Review (Plano Box)

Default Gear Review (Plano Box)

I thought I'd do a little review on a product that I use a lot. I gave one as a part of the Christmas gift exchange, and the recipient stated that he especially liked it. Here is a link to the product on the manufactures website.

http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?PID=726

I came across this product about four years ago. The better half wanted a smart phone and the deal required me to get one as well. I was searching for a waterproof smartphone case to put it in and none of the cases I found were big enough for the phone I had. While on this mission, I was at the Wally World checking out all the outdoor stuff for "deals" when I stumbled across this case. It was big enough to hold my phone with room to spare for other things, yet small enough I could fit it in my cargo pockets. I was shocked when the price was just a little over $4 with tax because the smartphone cases were $10 on up and were super thin plastic with single latches.

The test. Before trusting anything as water proof, I tested it. According to the manufacturer, this item is not for "submerged" purposes. Well, I filled the thing up with paper napkins, filled up the tub, and I submerged the thing for over 8 hours. It took a brick to hold it down because it floats. Another feature I like! Pulled it up, dried of the outside, opened it up and the napkins were bone dry. The thick plastic construction, thick gasket and three locking clasps do a fantastic job. After that, I took it outside and threw it a few dozen times. Not tossed it, THREW it. I wanted to make sure it could stand up to a bit of a beating. It has. After the initial test, I started using it in the outdoors keeping my phone, keys, cash, fishing/hunting licenses, and cards in it. It has held up in bags and in pockets on all kinds of trips and I still use it to this day.

About a year later I wanted to make a small first aid kit for my tackle box that just contained the essentials for daily "stuff". I went back to the same little box as the phone box. It contained pretty much what you see here in MrFixIt's picture, post #55

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hange-VI/page3

I liked it a lot that I made a few more. I put one in my glove box so I don't have to raid the primary first aid kit in the trunk over every little headache and minor scratch. I also started carrying one in my backpack at work, put one in my hunting bag and zip tied one into my canoe. I have not been able to destroy these little boxes, they have always floated with whatever stuff I put in them with a total weight never exceeding 3lbs, and although the price has gone up a little over the years (currently $4.97 + Tax), I still think these little boxes are a great buy. Especially being made in the USA!

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with this manufacture.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Great post and a useful item. I love these kinds of boxes but in the past the big name companies such as Pelican wanted an outrageous amount of money to do something simple like keep stuff dry or protect it from impact. I'm glad to see someone is doing the same thing for a lot less money and Plano is a good name. Thanks for the post. I'll have to grab some of these.

I have one of those for one of my 1st aid kit. Nice container.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I also have one of them. Awesome little box! It's about 90% as good/tough as an Otterbox for about 1/4 the price. Excellent deal! I keep a fire kit in it for camping.

I have several of these and like them a lot. I do have the smaller one that you describe and a couple of the medium sized ones that I use for fishing tackle boxes for canoeing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ooh. Maybe I need a great big one for the canoe to put my guns in.

Thanks natertot for the review. I can see multiple uses for these, and will be acquiring several more, and in different sizes (if available).
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!