Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mossberg MVP

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We are having a lot of deer shot in my area with the .223, especially during the youth hunt. Any of the good soft points from 55 grains up seem to do the job but I suspect that the kids are doing a better job of shot placement, under supervision, than most adults.

As a survival rifle ?? You shoot what you see with what you have in your hands. If I had my 'druthers I'd 'druther have a bigger bore when that happens. Something to consider when we make our choices of what might be in our hands when that time comes.

Seems like every time I have to consider that possibility I wind up with a shotgun in my hands instead of a rifle.

I feel fortunate to be in a situation where I have more than one or two choices. As I said, I am looking at the .223 as a replacement for .22lr and not as an all purpose rifle.

My cast bullet load is a 55gn gas check bullet on top of 5 grains of Unique and a small pistol primer. I am dumping the powder charge from a measure so it is not a precision load. I do not know the fps but I speculate about 1800fps. It is shooting inside an inch at 50 yards out of my Rossi SS, which is not exactly a target rifle. The same rifle will shoot factory fmj into about 3" @100.

My perspective on iron sights is jaded too. Back about 30 years ago my eyes went just bad enough that I could not use iron sights at all. I had to scope everything, so I quit even considering the presence of iron sights. They were simply useless appendages. Surgery about 5 years ago corrected the problem, so I can shoot irons again, but I have become used to the precision of optical devices.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Who am I to throw stones. As the wife says " the corps messed you guys up". What ever.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We are having a lot of deer shot in my area with the .223, especially during the youth hunt. Any of the good soft points from 55 grains up seem to do the job but I suspect that the kids are doing a better job of shot placement, under supervision, than most adults.

As a survival rifle ?? You shoot what you see with what you have in your hands. If I had my 'druthers I'd 'druther have a bigger bore when that happens. Something to consider when we make our choices of what might be in our hands when that time comes.

Seems like every time I have to consider that possibility I wind up with a shotgun in my hands instead of a rifle.

I feel fortunate to be in a situation where I have more than one or two choices. As I said, I am looking at the .223 as a replacement for .22lr and not as an all purpose rifle.

My cast bullet load is a 55gn gas check bullet on top of 5 grains of Unique and a small pistol primer. I am dumping the powder charge from a measure so it is not a precision load. I do not know the fps but I speculate about 1800fps. It is shooting inside an inch at 50 yards out of my Rossi SS, which is not exactly a target rifle. The same rifle will shoot factory fmj into about 3" @100.

My perspective on iron sights is jaded too. Back about 30 years ago my eyes went just bad enough that I could not use iron sights at all. I had to scope everything, so I quit even considering the presence of iron sights. They were simply useless appendages. Surgery about 5 years ago corrected the problem, so I can shoot irons again, but I have become used to the precision of optical devices.
    Yep the gas check. I'm thinkin

I visited two gun stores today. The only thing that had me interested was a K98. It felt good and looked good. Then, I looked at the bore, not so good. Might just stay with my old 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I visited two gun stores today. The only thing that had me interested was a K98. It felt good and looked good. Then, I looked at the bore, not so good. Might just stay with my old 30-30.
    Depends on the price. The thing I have discovered about surplus rifle is the bore can be crap and they will still hit within a 10" circle at 200 yards using iron sights and surplus ammo. The K98 was originally chambered in 8mm Mauser, but some post war conversions can be found in 7.62 NATO (.308 Win) and .303 British. Any of those rounds are more than sufficient at dropping anything you want to shoot at. There are other mausers out there besides the K98 was well, the Yugo being readily available for around $250.

Then again, you can pick up a mint Mosin Nagant with a few hundred rounds for $200. That will take care of anything you need.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Just put 5 rounds at 3/4 inch at 100 yards from a Mosin. Got more in up grades than the rifle is worth. However, I had fun doing it. Can't shoot without folks showing up. A couple high schoolers are coming over tomorrow. Even the girls like a 50cal.
    Tired of the AR/AK. Think the youngins need iron sites.

My son in law is a big boy. He's 6' 3" and shot the Mosin for the first time this summer. He has a new found respect for Russian women snipers.

I have used the .223 for whitetail many times in the past with great success. Specifically a remington 788. Come to think of it I have probably killed more deer with a .223 than any other caliber. I have a plethora of calibers to choose from if need be.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Taking a look at the CZ 527, Savage hog hunter and a 6.5 Grendel. Decisions, descisions. Anything in 6.5 is nice. Ruger has a 6.5 creedmoor in their cheap line-up.

223? WAAAY better of just getting a S&W M&P Sport...

http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson...0rd-black.html

EB

New box, two ftf and a 5 inch spread.