Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving Police Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    It is a crime to give false information. But when I was a deputy I had good people who were afraid to tell a cop they had a weapon. After I found it and explained that they are within the law to have it they were relived. And after I told them I could take them to jail go false information and a illegal concealment of a firearm they realized not to lie. Some people are just scared when it comes to the badge. Don't be. Cops are humans too and have understanding and compassion although the media often portrays a different picture.
    That is a good example for where you are. Laws and specifics vary to each person locale which is why it is imperative that each one know their own laws. Here, giving false ID info is a crime called failure to identify and lying will get you an obstruction charge. Having a handgun (not a weapon or long-arm) concealed requires a permit and that you inform the any officer you encounter of it if you have it on you.

The Ohio Sheriffs Association, Ohio State Highway Patrol and several departments in the anti-gun/liberal corner of the state pushed for the inform the police part of ccw law. Now I let it bite them in the butt every chance I get. My gun club donates range time to many agencies. I bump into them a lot when I shoot and every time they ask me the simplest of questions I inform. They get annoyed with me over all the "informs". I tell them "if you don't like it, perhaps the law should change." That annoys them even more.

It's even more fun when you bump into an off duty out in town!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Hunter, most of the time, that is true. There are agencies and some individual police that have a different set of "standards" though. In my neck of the woods, state troopers are always jerks (to put it nicely). Even local LEO hates the troopers well known attitudes. Also, my county sheriff and his posse tends to lean anti-second amendment which leads to very interesting situations.

I do not see your experiences as naïve though. I see them as being the overall typical experience because an overwhelming majority of agencies and officers in the US operate they way you have experienced.
    the reason they don't like the 2nd amendment is because they have melted into the unions of our society.
    Last edited by DoubleChinRooster; 01-04-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChinRooster View Post
    I look forward to the day when I turn on the news and someone has overrun a state patrol HQ and burned it.
    Whops!

506998030_privatemessage_xlarge.jpeg

I look forward to the day when I turn on the news and someone has overrun a state patrol HQ and burned it.
    That's a genuinely disgusting statement to make.

... I look forward to the day when I turn on the news and someone has overrun a state patrol HQ and burned it.
    Wow...just...wow.

Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

the reason they don't like the 2nd amendment is because they have melted into the unions of our society. cops really are bogus this day and age. I look forward to the day when I turn on the news and someone has overrun a state patrol HQ and burned it.
    I disagree with all elements of this post.
    I've known LEO's for most of my life. Most of them are dedicated professionals who love their jobs. They have families and friends who truly appreciate the sacrifices they make on a daily basis. I am one of those people.
    You have the right to express your opinion, but please do so in a more respectful manner.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I agree MrFixIt
    "SURVIVAL..........it's all in your Head!"

......................... I look forward to the day when I turn on the news and someone has overrun a state patrol HQ and burned it.
    I truly don't what to say........but hope you move along.......
    That made me gag.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No ban yet? Maybe, in 3.... 2.....

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

In the State of Michigan, if you have a Concealed Pistols License , you must inform the Officer immediatly if stopped, that you have a CPL and that you are carrying. I would also inform the officer that you are a CPL holder, even if you are not carrying and state that you are not carrying, because the license check will show that you are a CPL holder. If you have other firearms in the vehicle, for example coming/going hunting or target shooting, I would disclose that as well before being ask. Keep your hands on the steering wheel while you do this!!
    Last edited by Old Professor; 01-04-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: miss-spelling

Well, this thread certainly took a turn for the worse. For a new member's 2nd-ever post, that was a tad extreme and inflammatory. Once again, I find myself agreeing with hunter63...gag.

That said, the O.P. was well written and a "good post;" but (IMHO), sadly so.

Maybe it's because I'm 64 years old, or maybe it was just the culture where I grew up; BUT, when I was a kid, the info in the O.P. was drilled into me, my siblings, and all my friends. I still remember my Dad telling me (multiple times), if you are ever confronted by a policeman the only words that should come out of your mouth are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" and "Please" and "Thank you."

He also told me, "If you are ever arrested, for anything, do not bother calling home to get bailed out of jail. Spending the night in jail will be much more valuable to you, in the long run, than having Daddy or Mommy come to your rescue. It's time to grow up, boy."

Why are kids not raised this way, today?
    Last edited by tjwilhelm; 01-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Mine were, TJ. I gave mine the same lecture. It was the same lecture my dad gave me and my guess is it's the same lecture they will give to their kids when they are old enough.

Hey Rambo - I think you signed up for the wrong forum. Time to move on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Also beware if you do decide to hang around, trolling is not an acceptable form of behavior here.

troll
    1a. Noun
    One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    Well, this thread certainly took a turn for the worse. For a new member's 2nd-ever post, that was a tad extreme and inflammatory. Once again, I find myself agreeing with hunter63...gag.

That said, the O.P. was well written and a "good post;" but (IMHO), sadly so.

Maybe it's because I'm 64 years old, or maybe it was just the culture where I grew up; BUT, when I was a kid, the info in the O.P. was drilled into me, my siblings, and all my friends. I still remember my Dad telling me (multiple times), if you are ever confronted by a policeman the only words that should come out of your mouth are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" and "Please" and "Thank you."

He also told me, "If you are ever arrested, for anything, do not bother calling home to get bailed out of jail. Spending the night in jail will be much more valuable to you, in the long run, than having Daddy or Mommy come to your rescue. It's time to grow up, boy."

Why are kids not raised this way, today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mine were, TJ. I gave mine the same lecture. It was the same lecture my dad gave me and my guess is it's the same lecture they will give to their kids when they are old enough.
    Wouldn't it be nice if more and more of this took place. Sadly, I fear it does not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always knew...doing something bad and ending up in jail would have been far easier to calling home and being bailed out.
    Oh, mom would get me out all right, just to drag me home for "a little chat". (She could have taught the CIA a thing or two.)
    Doing the wrong thing was never an option. And thinking the wrong thing got righted pretty damn fast.

Amen sister.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tfisher View Post
    I agree MrFixIt
    Thank you.

I will offer another point in this discussion for discussion's sake.
    I have, on occasion, ran into a few LEO's who thought the badge gave them a power over people. Those few have tarnished the good that most of their fellow officers have struggled to achieve.
    My best friend for over 35 years is in law enforcement, and he can't stand when a parent tells their child to behave, or the police will get you! He has told me that this type of behavior is not conducive to public relations. The kids begin to think that they are after them, instead of coming to them for help without fear.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Good post.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

baby.ban.him.jpg

Amazed.... it has not already happened... Stormfront invasion revisited...