Thread: Time to replace my huntin' boots

Default Time to replace my huntin' boots

I have a bit of a quagmire. I have had a great pair of Chippewa snake boots for years (10+). The boots failed on the Leaf River run, not on the river, but upon arriving home I couldn't get one boot off that had finally succumbed to leaking. I eventually ripped the liner trying to get them off. The boots were model# 25107, which appears to be discontinued. What I loved about them was they were snake and waterproof to 17", I also loved they were American Bison Lowers.

These are the closest offering today. Unfortunately they are not American Bison Leather Lower. They will be waterproof until the failure is recreated, but can also be hot! I am also not sure the leather will hold up to briars etc. over time.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/field/snake/25110

This is likely their last American Bison Leather offering, albeit I don't like the moc toes. Also, they are not waterproof from the factory. No Chipatex liner, but rather a leather liner.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/field/snake/23909

My question is for you guys that waterproofed boots using beeswax, Snow Seal and the like. I am not beyond even using pine pitch at the seams each year. My question is can you waterproof the bison boot?

I don't typically stand in water, but move slowly through most times about 10 ft of 12" of water.

Yes, I have hipwaders and chest waders that simply cannot do what I need these boots to do and my last pair did. And, No rubber boots can't do the job my old boots did, won't make it one season.

Thanks to anyone who knows about waterproofing straight out leather boots!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Kinda sound like you want a boot that combines some features form each......
    Did you try calling them.....maybe a old style pair around?

It's sad to find something that really works well....only to have them discontinue them.

I have a pair of Lacrosse Pack boots, Córdoba tops, rubber bottoms, gortex liners.......They were on sale for like $20 bucks at the Lacrosse Outlet store.
    Bought 3 pair....mostly because the boots on sale, were less money then just the lines separate.
    Gave a pair to my FIL, kept 2 pair......got them back after he passed away...and after 20+ years....I'm on the last pair.

They do not make a comparable boot these days....and most all are made in China now...instead if USA.

Good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I will be calling them Hunter, there simply is not a comparable boot made. I can't do what I used to do without a boot that can.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I feel your pain.....Good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27