Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting deep thoughts.......

Default Hunting deep thoughts.......

I doesn't matter what hunting gun you use...... caliber/gauge, action, sight picture, bullet or load......whether you hit or where you hit....or even miss.....
    It is 100% certain the animal/bird will die...........eventually.

I suspect that the same applies for any weapon....... be it a stick or rock to everything in between up to and including a a-bomb.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You've been into the apple pie again haven't you?

I checked the IP address and it wasn't from the saloon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tis the season to get into the sprits...........I mean sprit.......

I usually ask the animal for forgiveness before I kill it. I don't know why, I just guess I feel sorry for taking a life. My native-American/Indian mentor always tells me he thanks the animal for its death, and provision of food for his family.

I hunt, but only small varmints...and if I get a kill, I will always thank God for the food He gave! I only hunt and fish what I eat.
    When it comes to hunting, I only kill one animal, then take it home or if its too small, cook it there. When I fish, its never more than 3 fish if its about 200 to 400 grams each..If I get anything above 2 kilograms, then 1 fish is enough.
    I believe we all need to do our art and take only a little bit from nature, and let nature continue to flourish.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I agree Tokwan. My family and I give thanks to God for out food as well and eat what we take, even if we have to have left overs once or freeze the abundance. I was also raised that if you kill it, you eat it. Obviously this does not apply to population control hunting such as coyotes and crows. No way I will eat those suckers. But where I live, they don't have any predators so.....

Speaking of eating what you kill, one time I went squirrel hunting and mistook a chipmunk as a squirrel. Well, I killed it so I ate it........ It wasn't too bad, but I learned to better identify what I am about to pull the trigger on.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

kikikiki..you ate a chipmunk? kkikikiki
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    kikikiki..you ate a chipmunk? kkikikiki
    Yep....... Let the jokes begin.....

You ate a chipmunk???

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Chippies are just the smallest member of the squirrel family, so technically you were eating a squirrel.

I also give thanks for the food I consume, but that goes for all the food I consume.

As for wild beasts getting special treatment, nope, they get the same as the beans and tatters.

The Good Book says "take and eat", so I take and eat as much as the law allows.

Like Hunter said, they are all going to die, and if I do not shoot them they will likely die slow and painful deaths all on their own. (ever seen that Nat-geo movie where the wolves eat the buffalo and it is still alive?)

Sometimes I do cry over dead animals. I come to tears almost every time I se a road killed deer being swarmed by buzzards.

100 pounds of meat that did not make it into my freezer!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sometimes I do cry over dead animals. I come to tears almost every time I se a road killed deer being swarmed by buzzards.

100 pounds of meat that did not make it into my freezer!
    I cry because down here that is closer to the on the hoof weight of a deer. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I agree Tokwan. My family and I give thanks to God for out food as well and eat what we take, even if we have to have left overs once or freeze the abundance. I was also raised that if you kill it, you eat it. Obviously this does not apply to population control hunting such as coyotes and crows. No way I will eat those suckers. But where I live, they don't have any predators so.....

Speaking of eating what you kill, one time I went squirrel hunting and mistook a chipmunk as a squirrel. Well, I killed it so I ate it........ It wasn't too bad, but I learned to better identify what I am about to pull the trigger on.
    That's why they invented the .17 HMR, right......

Haven't strayed much in this section since I quit hunting years ago...
    I do thank the animal that I killed to consume, was taught to do so by my grandfather.
    I shot a song bird with a Bb gun when I was around 5-6 years old and my daddy saw me when I shot it. He came out and asked me if I was hungry and going to eat it, I said no. He then took my BB gun from me and blistered my arse!
    He told me it was only ok to kill when in danger or providing food for myself or others, exactly as my granddad had said.
    I got the lesson from one generation to the next!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Default Hunting deep thoughts.......

I am relatively new to hunting,only been going about 3yrs now....mostly i hunt a compound bow but i do hunt with a 12 g in the shotgun zone.......sadly i havent had any luck yet but am learning more every year.bit of a funny story though first year i went hunting with my older brother,started with archery season then went on to shotgun muzzzleloader then on to rifle......well we got nothin i mean nothin!so final day of season we go right to end of day checking everywhere see nothing so dusk comes we pack up the rifles and head home......5 km from home I got my deer ....with my brother 1989 lumima mini van lmao we lost most of a shoulder from damage not really the way i expected to get my first deer......but i'll take it
    Last edited by Duece; 01-04-2015 at 09:58 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Don't feel bad.

I once nearly caught a wild turkey in the air after it was hit by the pickup ahead of me. It was still flopping when I wrung its neck and threw it in the back of the Jeep.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

On giving thanks before or after you kill an animal.

I was talking to my son-in-law about the flack a group of people will give us hunters. How can we kill innocent animals. I say it is only a different weapon they kill with. They use their money when they buy meat or vegetables at the store. Nell was talking about culling of male chickens on egg farms. And dairy cows only get like less than a fifth of their normal life span.

What about all the pests that are killed to protect the crop? Aren't those lives to be weighed?

As for vegetarians. Think about this most life lived off of decaying matter or minerals. Then one day something decided to eat a living plant. The first herbivore was also the first predator.

That turkey that might get killed this spring will have cost the hunter hundreds of dollars a pound. A domesticated turkey sold for between 99 cent and $1.99 a pound.

People that don't hunt won't get it. But, we don't hunt to just to take a life. We hunt to be part of one. Ours, our kids, our families, our friends, that friggin barking squirrel in the pine on the opening day of archery. Sitting there like a bull dog on the pine limb defying you to launch an arrow at him just to try to shut him up. Or the deer or hog or ducks, or fish that we cross paths with... And if they give me an opportunity and they are tasty and I have a good recipe. I'll harvest them.

And if a vegan tries to give me too much of a problem over that. I'll give thanks for vegans and whip out my smartphone and see what is the right brine for vegan! LOL

Just kidding. I am on a reduced sodium diet. Y'all rekon salt is thankful for that?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That's why they invented the .17 HMR, right......
    Actually it was a 12ga with front bead sight using a 2 3/4 inch shell loaded with 1oz of #6 shot. Took the shot at about 70yds in low light conditions and the only thing I hit was its head when it popped up from behind a fallen tree. Walked over to recover and looked over the log and.......Damn, a chipmunk. Killed it, gotta eat it. Took it back to the camp site and I gutted it and skinned it like a squirrel. Slow cooked it over the fire for about 45min and ate it. Texture was just like that of a squirrel, but the flavor was a bit different. Didn't taste as "gamey" as squirrels usually do. It actually wasn't too bad to be honest with you. Just not a whole lotta meat.

Now I know why Alvin and his buddies stop recording their songs...muahahahahahahahahahaha