Thread: A lesson to reinforce (gen-set)

Default A lesson to reinforce (gen-set)

I am for ever and always telling people to keep gas on hand for their gen-set and for the first time ever I was without gas during a power outage.
    Power was out during thanksgiving in at least three towns,no power no gas.
    So lesson that I teach I learned,never will I let that happen again!
    1)have gas
    2)treat gas with fuel stable.
    3)test run every month under load
    4) change oil every 24 hrs of run time.( oil is cheaper than a new motor)
    5)learn from my mistake
    Survival happens daily.

I dunno about changing the oil every 24 hours. Both of mine, the manual says 100...

Power was out in more than 3 towns in the Northeast over Thanksgiving. A couple of my friends in NH found out their gennys don't power the oven too well. One of them had BBQ turkey and dutch oven pumpkin pie. The other took their family out for dinner.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

An oil change is cheap insurance at about 1 1/2 qts ( my gen- set). I Am lucky to have a antique wood cooking stove,however BBq turkey would be just fine with me 😄
    Survival happens daily.

Most people don't do a power audit before hooking everything up.....

SIL was trying to run a elect. water heater (2-8000w elements), A/C, freezer, refrig, some lights, pump, sewer sprinkler pump, and the TV.........on a 8500 watt gen set......Burned it up.

Here again is a good example or one in none, 2 is one....and three make life better.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I did the audit buy my transfer switch has a meter so I can watch what the load is real time.

This is a good discussion ,I hope more people join in.
    A genorator can save people lots of frustration.....if properly used.
    I hook mine directly into panel via a 30amp breaker,I simply don't turn on big ticket items, I.E. Oven or the hot water tank.
    Everything else is small draw.
    Running a 5500 watt portercable.
    Survival happens daily.

Trying to run too much stuff on too small a generator isn't only bad for the generator, it's bad for all the stuff you are trying to run too. Too low voltage will do a number on the motors in your appliances. Load drop when something else turns on, or spikes when they shut off, aren't good either.
    You know? I never asked if the transfer unit was also a line cleaner. Somehow, I kinda doubt it...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

I have a 4.4, 2.8, and 1.4 KW generators, they are old but they all work and they get a workout during the winter snow storms here in NE PA. I keep at least 50 gallons of gas in a sun shaded shed and away from the house just to store that amount of gasoline; I also keep all the gas with the best fuel stabilizer I can find. I usually start with the 1400 watt generator just to give me some light anywhere in the house; it also powers the refrigerator, the TV and satellite receiver. Once I find out from the power company about how long the power outage is going to be I decide which generator to keep on line. For short power outages I use the 1400 generator, for longer power outage I then would use the 2800 watt long run generator, then I can run the freezer plus all of the above and coffee pot, and the propane stove, if you don’t have electric you cannot run the oven. I keep water store for both drinking/cooking as well as for flushing the commode and washing. Keep in mind that the bigger the KW output on a generator, the more gas is going to use, so if you know that you are going to be out of power for three weeks, use your smaller generator and manage your power accordingly, I prefer to use my 2800 watt generator for long power outages. I can run my furnace but prefer to use my propane fire place to heat the house during a power outage, I have hot air and that fan needs twice plus the power to get that big fan going. One thing you learn is to not the run the generator 24/7 you only need to run it when you really need it and save on gas and change oil on the generator during a power outage. Generators that do not have an oil filter can run for 50 hours if you don’t overload it, or run it to the max; generators with oil filters can run as long as 100 hours or more check your generator specifications. I use multi viscosity hundred percent synthetic oil specially during winter, and if you do during the summer, just check your oil level every time you add fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Trying to run too much stuff on too small a generator isn't only bad for the generator, it's bad for all the stuff you are trying to run too. Too low voltage will do a number on the motors in your appliances. Load drop when something else turns on, or spikes when they shut off, aren't good either.
    You know? I never asked if the transfer unit was also a line cleaner. Somehow, I kinda doubt it...
    Excellent point.....many appliances can be ruined by "browning"...low voltage and surging.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

There are sure ways to monitor your power generated from gen set, it can be easily done with a volt/watt meter, a word of caution: if you don’t know anything about electricity, please do not fool with it or you can become a magnet to electrocution, said that the safest way is to hire an electrician and install a transfer switch and a generator able to handle the load, the electrician can do all the math for you.
    Now, if you are a DIY guy or gal, and know enough about electricity to become dangerous, then let’s talk generator gadgets and volt/ohm/watt meters and other toys.
    Below is a picture of a surge suppressor, a Kill-A-Watt, and a Good Governor. The surge suppressor will clean take care of some of the voltage spikes, it also will probably trip if you max it out at 15 to 20 amps, but do not take the gadgets for granted, I have know people that had managed to fry their electronics no matter what, so if you max it, suffer the consequences. Next if the black box at the right, it is called a Good Governor and it was made specifically for generators, first it tells you if the if the generator is wired correctly by 2 LEDs (really handy for those that connect their generators to their appliances with a suicide wire), it also measures voltage and frequency (foreign countries use 50 Hz, we use 60 Hz) and this is really handy for those who like to fool with the engine governors trying to make the engine to run faster or slower than factory set). Then the white box to the left is the KILL A WATT, it measures voltage, amps, watts, VA, Hz, and KWH hour; to us the most important measurement while running your generators would be the watt readout so if you have a 55000 watt generator, you want to run it well below that if you running things with motors like a refrigerator, hot air furnace, well pump, etc. I hope this helps out.
    Mike
    Sorry I could not print the picture, so I am going to provide a web site of the Good Governor so you can get the picture otherwise I can send it to you by email (PM were you would like it sent.
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/41882931/The-Good-Governor
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...4400/202196386