Thread: Survival at Sea, Hawaii

Banned

Default Survival at Sea, Hawaii

Impressive story of Ron Ingraham (67 years old) who stayed barely hydrated on fish he caught for 12 days after his small sailboat was damaged. No news story (I could find) mentioned this but I noticed he had a broad brimmed straw/palm leaf hat. These are great for sun protection. Also when you wet these hats the evaporative cooling helps.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/us/hawaii-sailboat-found/

I go thru a lot of these hats, but don't allow people to photograph me in them because they look silly. Many years ago I bought one at Home Depot in PCB, FL used it when paddling over to Shell Island with my young daughter across the shipping channel, around the backside viewing HS-crap, stingrays. We almost got swept out to sea with falling tide but we made it back across the channel despite a major thunderstorm and all. Surprisingly my daughter occasionally still paddles with me. Adventure!

Guy says he was headed for the bar....my kinda of survivor guy.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When you get my age and have had skin cancer because of sun exposure goofy looking sort of goes out the window. I wear a straw hat, more of a farmer style, all summer long. I also have a hard shell safari hat that I wear a lot when working outside. As to gus, you gotta luv a guy like that.

Banned

Default Straw hats on white water with an older friend

Good memories of a friend in her mid 60's and me in straw hats. She often wears one even on White Water rivers when most of us wear kevlar or plastic helmets; but in her Pirouette, Dancer and other old school kayaks she is an incredibly talented paddler and no one will criticize her for it. After folks in their 20's barely survive a rapid, she throws the yak on her shoulder walks up the side over boulders and runs the elements again. She will often ask me (and others) to stay an extra day to run the river again, which is where these photos came from. This time it was just her and me, someone at the put-in took a photo of us together.

AnitaMulberry.jpg

Friend at Turner Bend kayak lift, Mulberry River
    kayaklift.jpg

Me on South LLano, near Junction, TX not as cool as my friend on the Mulberry River. I look like a total dork.
    SouthLlanoKayak.jpg
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-11-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Banned

Default Desalinators?

Has anyone in a emergency or experimental situation used one of these "forward osmosis membrane filters" or
    "Emergency Desalination Pouch" (Produces 0.5 liters of drink in 10 hours at 68 F, No pumping or electricity required), or "Aquamate Solar Still" (produce 500 to 2000 ccs or 1 to 4 pints of water per day), or the more advanced systems requiring hand pump or 12 VDC that cost thousands?
    http://www.landfallnavigation.com/desalinator.html

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/watermaker.html

West Marine and other yacht and sailboat online and local retailers also sell these supplies and equipment.

My understanding is that they are very expensive, high maintenance, and output very little drinkable water. Especially the solar still which is disappointing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    When you get my age and have had skin cancer because of sun exposure goofy looking sort of goes out the window. I wear a straw hat, more of a farmer style, all summer long. I also have a hard shell safari hat that I wear a lot when working outside. As to gus, you gotta luv a guy like that.
    I do as well....I am a ball cap kinda guy, but mowing and field work in the summer means the straw hat(s) for hot weather or Tilly hat in cooler weather.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Wide brimmed hats are part of my daily summer wear.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fashion went out the window with mismatched socks from bad eye sight and pants that fit under the arms. The down side is I got voted out of da hood.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Thanks for the post. Found a lot of 'stories' about the event on the web, seems they all had the same source.

Interesting story.