Thread: Source for 22LR ammo in Kentucky, Tenn, Alabama

Tool & Die Maker

Default Source for 22LR ammo in Kentucky, Tenn, Alabama

Headed to Florida after Christmas and always do some target shooting while there. Is 22 ammo more available in the Southern
    states compared to Northern Illinois. Any recommendations for a place to look for ammo.

I'm sometimes able to find 22LR ammo in Illinois but it is usually expensive. Like ten cents per round as high as 1.6 cents per round. I bought 22 ammo for 8 cents per round a few weeks ago but that source dried up.

Appreciate any leads.

You might be better off asking on more local boards, just to have a better sampling of people. Here in Georgia it's still hit or miss, and you have to know when to go in (I'm always at work at the right time but some folks I see posting have different schedules).

I got a couple for sure places to pick it up here in southern Indiana but there prolly a good ways out of the way on your route to Florida...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you are running down I-24 to get to FL, when you get just to the south side of Nashville you will pass Champions' Choice. they are just off the interstate.

You can make your order in advance and they will pull it and have it waiting for you to pick up at the retail counter.

They will have .22lr ammo but it will not be junk-bulk ammo at junk-bulk prices. They will have Elley, SK, RWS, Midus at $10-$25 per 50 round box, but it will all go into the same hole from a good gun.

I did notice some Wolf Match Extra at $9 a box and that is particular good stuff at that price.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx

The local Walmart has hired an employee to stand behind the counter in sporting goods and answer the phone (which is ringing non-stop) repeating the simple phrase "We have no .22 ammo and do not know when the next shipment will arrive."

The scarcity of .22 is not a local or regional thing, it is national. Even the folks I communicate with in Europe talk about the shortage of American brands. They have plenty of .22 ammo, just not American made .22 ammo.

I also hear that the shortage is finally reaching Canada, which has been unaffected until recently.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-09-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Thanks for the info. Need to visit my little sister in Arkansas, they always have 22 ammo for sale down there. I also have a brother-in-law in Florida that says 22 ammo is expensive down there. Seen it for myself when I'm down there.

Champs Choice was selling 10-brick cases of CCI (10,000 rounds) not too long ago for about $32 or $37 a brick.
    Might want to give them a call.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant