Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Default Ticks

Hi guys im new around here and where im planing to stay thereare alot if ticks.So im curious if any one knows and herbs or plants that can repell ticks and if the tick gave me a disease how would I heal it..

Hi Tala, and welcome to the forum. Our rule here is that all new people give an introduction.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Things that should be included are age, location, experience and the like. This will help us in understanding how to better help you.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Deet for prevention and your Dr. for any related disease.

Banned

Default Deet is most reliable for Lyme disease and other serious tick problems

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Deet for prevention and your Dr. for any related disease.
    That is absolutely the truth!

100% Deet spray will burn the skin of many people so be careful and use lower % directly on your skin, but on your footwear or gators this stronger % may be appropriate depending on your region and time of year etc. There are many other things that may allegedly be somewhat effective (Permethrin, sulfur, american beauty berry leaf, rosemary etc) but I would not trust them for something as serious as Lyme disease. These remedies work a little bit for chiggers and mosquitos if applied repeatedly and heavily but ticks are persistent.

Minor anecdotal things I have noticed are that where you pitch your tent can make a difference. I.e. when tent camping I prefer to pitch mine on the river rock where it will get morning sun. Once a friend and his daughter pitched theirs high on a ridge under some trees on a river island (bed down area of deer and wild hogs). Their tents were full of ticks, mine had none. When in a camping hammock I prefer to hang it in a briar patch that I minimally clear out just enough to get in and out of. (fewer varmints and other visitors as well)
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-06-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typos

While I am a big advocate of DEET and use it regularly, for tick defense I like to use products with picardin or pyrethrin in them to spray on my pants and socks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The % of DEET describes how long it will remain effective. However, using DEET above 50% offers no additional protection.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...king/deet2.htm

These are pretty general...but pretty accurate.

http://insects.about.com/od/insectpe...avoidticks.htm

I don't wear shorts, tghat helps....but I have to say that the worst attact by ticks were on bare ground under the cabin, while doing the plumbing.

Had a couple of loads of "fines" dumped and spread on the site....was all clay, that got gooey quick..so the "fines" (after gravel is broken up, this is the real fine crushed rock that's left)....really made it easier to work on.

Maybe it was the shard on a hot day....or different dirt?.....But the ticks would just jump on you when crawling around under the house.

Seemed odd as all I had ever heard was "stay out of tall grass, brush etc......and this was bare ground.

BTW DW had a deer tick (bad one ) on her back......was kinda dug in....I was gonna remove it and she was kinda panicking....so off to the emergency room we go.

Wouldn't believe me, had to hear it from the Doc, says to watch it.....He plucked it off with tweasers and put some salve on it .....(what I was gonna do)....but I'M NOT A DOCTOR.

Anyway when he took out tweezers from a sealed package....used them...
    So I asked if I could have them.....figuring they were getting tossed....He says . "Yeah for $80 bucks".
    I guess they recycle them?

All was well.....but I have a friend that still has major health problem 10 years after a deer tick "Lyme's" bite....They didn't really test for that back then.
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter, I've seen some medical offices will place implements inside a sealed package after coming out of the autoclave to keep them sterile.

Most likely you are correct.....

I just figured if it was seal in package it was new.....guess not......anyway,...... I figured I was being charged for it ...I wanted it when they were done.

Carry a Tick Key, just in case...

http://www.amazon.com/THE-TICK-KEY-T...words=tick+key

$80?! Man, that would have ticked me off!

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    TJ- I have one of those and am thankful that I haven't had to use it, do you have experience with those and do they work well?
    Semper Paratus

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well that came with a real Doctor plucking it off, with the said high buck tweezers....so it had to be better than me doing it with cheap tweezers....of course I don't charge $1200 bucks for the ER visit...'cause I'm not a Doc.

Next time just remind her that the doctor is still practicing. You have it down pat.

....and some time it's better to pay the money....and keep ones mouth shut......MUCH cheaper in the long run....iffen' ya know what I mean....
    Just sayin'

Tropical Ticks hates Dettol..we used to spray our body with the dettol mixture.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    TJ- I have one of those and am thankful that I haven't had to use it, do you have experience with those and do they work well?
    Fortunately, Graf, I've not had to use mine, either. That said, I have three friends that have contracted Lyme disease -- one really badly. The tick key has received some good reviews, so I bought them as stocking stuffers last Christmas. I've also given them to a few friends for their dogs. If I ever do have to use mine (which I'm NOT hoping for), I'll write a review.

Take 2 well mannered chickens with you everywhere you camp, they will eat the ticks faster than they can crawl on you! I have also used Vicks Vaporub on my skin, it does a fair job of repelling ticks and musquitos! You will smell like a walking cough drop but it works!

Banned

Default Tweezers and DEET on shoes

Years ago a friend recommended replacing the almost worthless tweezers in a typical first aid kit with high quality ones from an electronic supply or high end medical supply retailer. These are very multipurpose. I once removed a small leach from between my 8 yr old daughter's toes. Put it in a jar of water so she could show the kids at day camp.
    Also cool to know that 100% DEET's primary value is long life I have only use this strength on footwear and placed far from my face at night so I did not need to smell it all night long. Permethrin soaked into my hammock is not quite as effective but I can tolerate the smell, just hear the mosquitos buzzing a few inches away, probably same with ticks. Never had any knock on wood. But friends definitely have.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-10-2014 at 08:11 PM.