Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Banned

Default Fire ants as tick ctrl?

Humid conditions during certain times of the year in this region (TX,OK,LA, AR and further SE) can cause chiggers to be very bad especially in tall grass but if there are a lot of fire ant mounds it tends to control them. (Invaders from S.A.) So I wonder if these much hated invasive fire ants also help to control ticks? The trick is to pitch you tent or tarp near fire ants but NEVER over a mound. These tiny critters are meat eaters and will feast on more than just other insects. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Humid conditions during certain times of the year in this region (TX,OK,LA, AR and further SE) can cause chiggers to be very bad especially in tall grass but if there are a lot of fire ant mounds it tends to control them. (Invaders from S.A.) So I wonder if these much hated invasive fire ants also help to control ticks? The trick is to pitch you tent or tarp near fire ants but NEVER over a mound. These tiny critters are meat eaters and will feast on more than just other insects. LOL
    Won't/hasn't worked. The researchers are continually experimenting with biological controls for insects/arachnids and so far have been met with limited successes. One that showed a little promise for a while was for fire ant control using decapitating phorid flies.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The only thing I know fire ants are good for is rotting pine stumps.......so if they are here....I am there....not close.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Fire ants were, of course, on the list but decapitating flies? Sheesh. No reason to lose your head over an ant problem. On the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Fire ants were, of course, on the list but decapitating flies? Sheesh. No reason to lose your head over an ant problem. On the list!
    As soon as I read Crash's post, I knew that was coming.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Soooo, I wonder if the OP got the answer he/she was looking for.....

No one told him about that ....ah ..magic...ah...secret tick repellent....?
    We all agree that we could only sell it.....right?

Maybe decided the "ticks are icky"....?

Anyway....
    Many years ago, grew up in a small town....moved to the big city, met my wife...got married.
    Her folks had a "place" up north....where I met her....and I was the local country boy.

On a visit back to the up north place, MIL/FIL decided they wanted to go picking blueberries....and as I was the local country boy, it was up to me to show there where they were.

So I did......

Now SIL and BIL being city people, did have the right shoes, or didn'tlike mosquitoes or bugs of any kind......but went anyway.
    They got a couple of "ticks"....big wood ticks, not deer ticks....we all did.

OMG........the swamp fever struck them down.....and it was MY FAULT..........Bhohahahaha ......sorry but they had been such azzhats, figured it served them right.......Told them they better go to the emergency room ASAP......
    Off they went.

DR, picked them off......hadn't dug in yet.....(the rest of us just picked them off)....gave them some meds(?) and gave them a bill for a couple of hundred bucks.

They had to go to bed...the rest of us had blueberry cobbler......

I still laugh about that......(don't like the BIL all that much to this day)

Banned

Default Appalachian ER for tick removal and treatment

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Soooo, I wonder if the OP got the answer he/she was looking for...........Told them they better go to the emergency room ASAP......
    Off they went.

DR, picked them off......hadn't dug in yet.....(the rest of us just picked them off)....gave them some meds(?) and gave them a bill for a couple of hundred bucks.
    Hope OP and Hunter63's relatives don't get in line behind these folks at the Appalachian Emergency Room when they need treatment for ticks.

https://screen.yahoo.com/appalachian...000000803.html

Warning this video is not PG!!! SNL NBC late night humor

Prevention is better than a cure,
    I take tabard insect replenet with me these days,
    been bitten and had tick bite fever
    it's not fun, its a bacterial infection, and in some extreme cases can be death..
    It feels like a really really bad flu, and usually only presents after about 5-7days after been biten..
    You don't want that.. its not fun.... How can you tell if you got it? Well look at the bite location, you will see it goes extremely dark, dark dark red amost black and inflamed and you start feeling almost like you coming down with flu...
    Depends how badly you have it in some cases its mild other cases you need antibiotics,
    they treat it with doxycycline

When I worked in the field daily along the N. California coast I found that tucking in my pants into long hiking socks and spraying them with Deet provided a pretty solid option. The hard part is when it gets too hot, but luckily I was long the coastline.

Lemon eucalyptus essential oil in witch hazel makes a good insect repellent. You do need to apply it more often than DEET.

The active ingredient in LE is approved by the CDC or USDA or the BFD, or whatever nanny-state organization approves that kind of thing.
    It's the same active ingredient that is in citronella. LE smells better than citronella, though.

I live in North Central Arkansas, and it repels ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, and gnats. Smells a lot better than DEET. I don't like rubbing insecticide on my skin. That's what DEET smells like.

If you're curious, I use a 5% LE solution with 5% polysorbate 20 so that it will emulsify in the witch hazel.
    Last edited by JohnLeePettimore; 04-24-2017 at 03:47 PM.

There has been a lot of mention of tick prevention and removal on this thread, and all good stuff. I left Lyme Disease in the Pine Barrens of NJ in 1989 only to watch it spread into Maine and continue northward. The local protocols here with regard to modern medicine (we have had two medical Doctors through our Apprenticeship) is to take the blood for testing and administer the antibiotics as soon as possible. The blood test is considered unreliable enough that a strict determination of the probability of a Lyme Like bacterial infection is the primary premise for prescribing antibiotics. Over the last twelve years we have been using a strong decoction of antivirals to include Japanese Knotweed and Barberry. Each contain a suite of phytochemical that move through the blood/tissue barriers and get into the thicker vitriol fluid these spirochetes prefer. Without a carrier, modern antibiotics remain in the bloodstream and will not reach the bacterial infection once it makes it to places like the spinal column, joints, and vitriol fluid in the eyes. The berberine and resveratrol found in these locally gathered plants not only bypass the cyst protection of the bacteria, they get inside and dismantle the organelles. They also carry modern antibiotics to the same sites. As a result, we have had multiple incidents of Lyme here in our residential apprenticeship (living in the woods for six months), and in each case use of these plants have made each person asymptomatic (without symptoms) in less than four weeks. A good reference is "Healing Lyme Naturally" by Beuhner. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by primitiveskills View Post
    There has been a lot of mention of tick prevention and removal on this thread, and all good stuff. I left Lyme Disease in the Pine Barrens of NJ in 1989 only to watch it spread into Maine and continue northward. The local protocols here with regard to modern medicine (we have had two medical Doctors through our Apprenticeship) is to take the blood for testing and administer the antibiotics as soon as possible. The blood test is considered unreliable enough that a strict determination of the probability of a Lyme Like bacterial infection is the primary premise for prescribing antibiotics. Over the last twelve years we have been using a strong decoction of antivirals to include Japanese Knotweed and Barberry. Each contain a suite of phytochemical that move through the blood/tissue barriers and get into the thicker vitriol fluid these spirochetes prefer. Without a carrier, modern antibiotics remain in the bloodstream and will not reach the bacterial infection once it makes it to places like the spinal column, joints, and vitriol fluid in the eyes. The berberine and resveratrol found in these locally gathered plants not only bypass the cyst protection of the bacteria, they get inside and dismantle the organelles. They also carry modern antibiotics to the same sites. As a result, we have had multiple incidents of Lyme here in our residential apprenticeship (living in the woods for six months), and in each case use of these plants have made each person asymptomatic (without symptoms) in less than four weeks. A good reference is "Healing Lyme Naturally" by Beuhner. Hope this helps.
    Lyme disease is what we call tick bite fever.
    I had it,. its not fun.... can take years for it to fully clear ones system.. really knocks you.
    although, here in Africa we more concerned with malaria..
    I rather have lyme disease lol....
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

There is something her people call "tick fever". I was told it was the same as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but i don't know whether to believe it or not.

People here call the same things by different names, and different things by the same name. "Water moccasin" vs. "cottonmouth" comes to mind.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

A relatively new tick born virus is bourbon virus. Add it to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    A relatively new tick born virus is bourbon virus. Add it to the list.
    Does that cause headache and upset stomach?

Yes. And fever, rash, body aches. It's so new with so few cases they don't really have a handle on the symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Does that cause headache and upset stomach?
    I knew what you meant.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

It's so new with so few cases they don't really have a handle on the symptoms.
    This reminds me of a George Carlin "news report":

"Scientists have discovered a disease that has no symptoms. It is impossible to detect, and there is no known cure. Fortunately, it's confined to New Jersey."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes. And fever, rash, body aches. It's so new with so few cases they don't really have a handle on the symptoms.
    I knew a guy that got drunk and fell into a patch of poison ivy and had that the next morning!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Recently a young man died in Bucks county this year from a single tick bite.
    its https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babesiosis
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907