Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bit Of Good News.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Congratulations to Winnie and BTW I can tell you are both happy ladies, good luck to both of you on your new jobs.

Congratulations to you, Winnie! Best to you this holiday season!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

That's probably a great relief. Job searching is just about my least favorite part of life - the key is to not let it get you down and keep plugging. After I got out of school, it took about three years before an opening came along and I could get my career started. Heh, now I'm trying to survive until I can fully retire. Serpentine!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Yeah, I hate job hunting. My job kind of sucks in a lot of ways but I'm too lazy to go out and find something less sucky. I make pretty fair money but sometimes I wonder if it's worth the aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Yeah, I hate job hunting. My job kind of sucks in a lot of ways but I'm too lazy to go out and find something less sucky. I make pretty fair money but sometimes I wonder if it's worth the aggravation.
    Trust me, it's worth the aggravation. After you get your fill of doing your thang and spending your savings while doing it, you'll be ready to settle for even less if you could only get some money coming in. Just be glad you have a job and when the spirit moves you, get out and get a better one. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one.

Retired now, for the second time.....but have to say that I have always been lucky in finding something interesting to do...till it got boring , then was able to move on to something else.

Many times it was something that surprised others as the direction completely changed....but suited me.

Having a job, .....way of supporting yourself, an identity, a network, a warm place to go in the winter.....and most important a reason to push on....
    Yeah, congrats to anyone that is successful is finding their place in the world......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I gotta say that I've enjoyed every job I've had from digging out grease pits to herding cattle to pipelining and library work and professional work. I guess between my father and me, we've pretty much covered the Dewey Decimal System. But one thing I've found, unless you're good at working for yourself (that was my father's forte) as you get older and older, less and less people want to hire you. At 60, I seriously doubt if I could get a job in this area that would allow me to survive on my own. I hope the tutoring job I had in Broomfield doesn't turn out to have been a fluke, that was my dream job - I won't know until after the holidays. But regardless, I'm up for full retirement next year and, if I don't get a paying job I like before then, I'll be volunteering - I can't just sit around.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Trust me, it's worth the aggravation. After you get your fill of doing your thang and spending your savings while doing it, you'll be ready to settle for even less if you could only get some money coming in. Just be glad you have a job and when the spirit moves you, get out and get a better one. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one.
    I get what you mean. I just mean the aggravation vs getting a different job. There's no way I would just quit without lining something up first! I'm not that reckless/adventurous. I never jump out of a boat until another one comes along...don't want to swim back to shore! The issue at my job is basically the management- not very competent. I feel like the place is going downhill. We're still making money but we're moving downmarket, and becoming a place I'm not proud of. To being able to proudly tell people where I work is a big thing.

Still, I have between five and eight months left of school, then hopefully I can move up into something more rewarding. Right now I'm trying to focus on finishing with school and getting my degree.

I'm glad you found a job, Benesse! I hope it's enjoyable for you. At least I generally like the kind of work I do and have always liked going to work.

Phaedrus - Congratulations on working toward your degree. I know the struggle of working and going to school. It isn't easy but it is rewarding. It's also surprising how quickly the time goes by. It seems like an eternity while you are doing it but you will look back and think it went by pretty fast. Good luck and hang in there!! You are, after all, investing in yourself and your future.