Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxuries on long term hiking/camping

Default Luxuries on long term hiking/camping

I have always noticed others when taking long hikes or camping for several days people always remember the added things needed apart from basic camping gear. Items such as baby wipes, hygiene products, chair. But the two things apart from those added neccesities I ALWAYS remember to bring on those long trips is one, a pillow and two, some candy. Too many times I've had friends go out on 3-5 days of camping to come back early or miserable. When you live a modern life and sleep with a pillow every night and turn around and not having one makes some miserable. And I always bring something sweet. Always a treat to get that sugar. I don't bring chocolate because the mess. Usually some starburst or gobstoppers. What type of camping luxuries do any of y'all always remember to stuff in the sack?
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 12-01-2014 at 09:29 PM.

I too, like to bring sweets. Starbursts are good, I also like M&M's since they don't melt too much. I also like bringing a tarp to make a shelter other than for sleeping. I find that it stinks to be confined to a tent during rain.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Pillow is a must, coffee, powdered goats milk a Coleman Tent Fan...hehehe...its so freakin' humid here.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I have taken pillows when camping on the ground. A hoodie or other article of clothing can be used but are not as comfortable.

When using a hammock I find I don't need one.

I've thought of takeing just a pillow cover and fill it with leaves, pine needles, etc to make a pillow without making it cumbersome.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

My pillow is the inflatable type..requires less packing space but comfy enough...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I don't generally do sweets. I agree that a shelter that is other than you tent is a big deal. I take a pillow when car camping. Though, if I forget it I have never had a problem improvising one or doing without.

Only two things make my trip bad (sleepless). cold weather I am not prepared for. That means below 50 degrees. The other is mosquitoes. I prepare for both.

I've always found the inflatable pillows uncomfortable and moves aroind a lot. Though I have used a gallon sized ziploc bag to take a nap with. Haha.

Something I like to take is a powdered drink so I won't always have just plain water. Usually for just one or two cups. I also like to have something flavored to drink in the car waiting for me when I get to it. Usually Gatorade or a canned tea.
    ~Rocky Balboa

My henessy hammock has a mozzy net, but I still , like Batch, have a mozzy net for the face when I walk....sometimes youi do need it....and as for cold weather..I only prepare when I know I am going into the highlands.

One of the things I've been using lately is Mio (the flavored water thingies). I have upped my water intake to at least 16 cups per day (usually more) and the flavoring seems to make it easier to do.

That being said - filtered puddle water is much better with some flavoring in it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love the Mio stuff. My wife however is really sensitive to the artificial sweeteners and gets migraines . At least that seems to be what she's narrowed it down to. I always carry a deck of cards with me. Just something to do once I've gotten all settled in and it doesn't take any room. Then of course alway a bag of trail mix.

Baby wipes for sure.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

There is something to be said for a little flavoring on the water. I use the "Propel" packages of individual servings. I hate carrying liquids other than water and a few first aid items.

On a comfort note, I have found a night time camping drink that I enjoy. Boil some water and pour about 8oz into a ten oz cup with the lemon "Propel" packet contents already in it. Mix well, then top of the cup with whiskey. Makes something similar to a "Hot Tottie". I also like this drink when I feel a cold or sinus issue coming on.

I use the instant tea and coffee packets/bags. I enjoy tea and coffee whether it's hot or cold so a fire is optional to me.

Crash seriously, 16 cups? Is there some medical reason for this?

You can get water intoxication from too much water. I do straight 8 not counting coffee or other fluids. But 16 would give me NO time between drinking and getting rid of the water.....
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

16 cups is a gallon. In Florida with high humidity and heat while working hard crawling under houses looking for pests, I could see drinking that much. Sitting most of the day in air condition I could easily drink half a gallon of straight water and used to do so.

I spent a week doing some exercises and healthy eating (nutrition and portions) and found it easy to drink 100 ounces of water even before supper. Only 128 ounces in a gallon.
    Last edited by RangerXanatos; 12-02-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Ranger is spot on the water consumption.

Solar, you stated that you did 8 cups not counting all the other fluid intake. If you replaced all your other fluid intake with water, you'd probably be closer to 16 than you think. I am sure when crash said that, he was referring to times when he was not taking in anything but water. That is pretty much close to what all of us do when we go "deep in da woods".

Yep - at least a gallon a day. Heat and humidity are part of it, but I also try and lead a very active lifestyle between work and play, so staying hydrated is a key. It also helps with losing/keeping weight off.

For consumption - I do not count any beverages with caffeine in them (diuretic) although my bladder does.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

All of the above (sweets, chocolate, pillow, drink mixes, tarp for sitting under) I also have a small hip flask with something alcoholic, a mini radio and I always find room for a book.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

One tip if the inflatable pillow moves about..do not inflate them too hard...allow some sagg...

I rarely get to go on any long term trips lately, usually just two or three days if I'm lucky. I kind of like to take a few different kind of snacks though. One of my favorites is vacuum packed mixed nuts- especially pecans. I'll mix pecans and almonds, measure out 2 oz and seal 'em up. Two oz is a good snack amount, not a crazy amount of food but enough to give me a lift. A packable pillow is another little luxury I hate to leave home without. Lastly I will often have a tube of Muun flavor/electrolyte tablets along with me in case I get bored with plain water. Tea bags, too.