Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your help on full house rocket stove!

Default Need your help on full house rocket stove!

As I investigate replacing the wood stove from Canada that was installed some twenty years ago, We looked at several traditional wood stoves of similar caliber and size ranging $800 to $2000. I accidentally ran across Rocket Stoves for the whole house... so I will spend some sensible time looking into this ...I expect I will be buying the 4 DVD set and the Ronco wax log maker.

So here are the dumber questions ... I have 4 cords of split wood out back... I am so not splitting this crap again to fit in some 4" metal tube.

IS there a bigger version that gasifys and looks the same as stove and can take a 15" split? and looks nice for the wife... in spite of the fact she is never in the basement?

What are you using that is comparable and not the old fashioned kind that doesn't cost 2k?

These are honest questions and I very humble.... Please help me find something nice for the basement that really works. Thanks ahead!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

ok this clearly is old blog software... if I click on new post new threads do not come to the top... odd or am I mistaken?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Well looks like a post...but I don't see any pic's, specs or reference....
    Don't know what you are referring...?...Blog?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There are commercial models available, the ones I have seen are several thousand dollars.

here is a link to a diy unit

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Hope this clear this up....

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Blog Entries

Came across this ages ago. Had it bookmarked for interest.

http://hopineo.org/en/rocket-stove/
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

You had your profile set for Oldest Thread first. I've changed it for you so you should see Newest Thread first from now on.

From what I can see, a rocket stove required a commitment as far a space devoted to it, and isn't very portable....but more part of a structure.

Kinda followed Ken Kern ideas in alternate building and his ideas were an influence on my cabin.

In his book "The Owner Built Home, there was this type of heating discussed and featured,..... as well as his books "Ken Kern's Masonry Stove"....and "Fireplaces".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Kern

Books are hard to find.....But PFD's are available.

Also might want to check out...
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/b...#axzz3KeuKS4CT

Thanks Rick for fixing it and now everything is upside down - its good to be a bat.

Hunter most of the Rocket Stoves are portable and back of truck friendly although nobody says what they are used for - apparently boiling lots of water... I am looking to pull a log Franklin stove and replace it with something worthwhile...

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I hear ya....good plan, .....Franklin Stove very inefficient, and wood waster....

Let us know what you come up with.....

I'll move it back if you like. Just let me know. But that's why the old stuff was at the top.

this is an interesting thread

Seeing as how a rocket stove is not designed to burn bulk wood, some kind of mechanical device would have to be designed to feed wood through the intake tube. All of the rocket stoves I have seen is designed to use small to medium diameter sticks and must be gradually fed through the intake tube! I can't see using a rocket stove for whole house heat without being a huge heater structure. If you have the room it would be ok.
    A pellet heater would probably work much better! They burn very efficiently, and the pellets are not very expensive but they do need electricity to operate the feeder!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 12-02-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Seeing as how a rocket stove is not designed to burn bulk wood, some kind of mechanical device would have to be designed to feed wood through the intake tube. All of the rocket stoves I have seen is designed to use small to medium diameter sticks and must be gradually fed through the intake tube! I can't see using a rocket stove for whole house heat without being a huge heater structure. If you have the room it would be ok.
    A pellet heater would probably work much better! They burn very efficiently, and the pellets are not very expensive but they do need electricity to operate the feeder!
    I was about to ask if pellet stoves are some sort of rocket stove?

Pellet and corn stoves do require electricity to run the draft and blowers.....and you need to buy pellets.

I'm sticking to my wood stove that runs with out anything but fuel.
    Was expensive to buy to start with......but burn a long time on a filling.
    Wood is from my woods....or purchased already processed by local workers and no manufacturing needed.

Advantage of a pellet or corn stove....you can load, let run and regulate somewhat by a thermostat.

OK found one... but its not for sale till next year

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

OK I got it narrowed down to something practical that can be purchased - what sold this for me? You fill it up before going to bed and it will still be running in the morning... its loaded with Firebricks

Video shortcut

http://bcove.me/ybz3mzjp

if interested CLICK

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

UPDATE Now on sale - free pellet hopper included upon purchase and shipping no its not cheap.

https://www.rocketheater.com/

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OK I got it narrowed down to something practical that can be purchased - what sold this for me? You fill it up before going to bed and it will still be running in the morning
    You can do the same thing with a Blaze King wood stove. I don't own one myself but they are popular in my area. They can be expensive but any thermostatically controlled EPA approved wood stove is going to be. My wood stove is nothing special, but I can load it up at 9 pm and still have a good bed of coals by 7 am.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Wow - great ideas well thought out

Theodore Roosevelt 1907