Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts/opinions please

Question Thoughts/opinions please

The story:
    During my rounds this morning, I pull up to a park and am waiting for the pest control tech. Please note that this particular park is a passive use park, with biking, hiking and horse trails, and is not staffed unless an event is booked there. I notice what appears to be a body wrapped up in a sleeping bag. The "hackles" arose, I approached and spoke loudly "Hello!". The bag stirs, and a guy rolls out and says hello back. I ask was he OK and he said he was. I asked him was he passing through and he said yes, and that he was walking to the next town. I noticed his gear and some clothing spread out on the concrete (where he was lying) was wet and that he was shivering. I told him that I could open the restroom (heated) and that he could stay there for a while to warm up and possibly dry his clothes. I asked him did he have any money or food and he replied no.
    I gave him about $4 and some change (all of the cash I had on my person), and he thanked me. I told him I would return in a couple hours to lock the restroom.

The questions:
    Did I do enough?
    Did I have to do anything?

The whole scenario was sort of unsettling to me. I didn't feel endangered, just kind of sad for this person. I do not know his story nor how he came to be in such dire straits (maybe he chooses to live that lifestyle).
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Sounds to me like you just answered your own question.....and I think you did just fine.

Many would have rousted the guy, sent him on his way, in a huff, letting him know you disapproved of his being there. .

What we do or don't do is for us....not the recipient , and many consider a duty to pay forward.

Congrats of a selfless act of kindness.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

No, you didn't have to do anything, that you did speaks volumes. Who knows how the guy got to that position but for a couple of hours, you improved his lot. I think only you can answer whether you did enough or not.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

You did just right,helped him out and allowed him to retain some dignity at the same time......good stuff wAy to go!!!
    D

Did you have to do anything? No. The fact that you did something was above what you were required so in that regard, you did more than enough.

You gave him some warmth, a way to get dry, and a few dollars to get a little food. I am sure he was tickled to death by your generosity.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

A little update:
    I go back out there to lock the restroom (we keep them locked due to occasional vandalism). The guy had already stowed his now dry clothing and was putting on his shoes. I told him that I had to lock it up, and that he could stay there if he wished. He asked if there was a store nearby and I told him yes, and that I would give him a ride. His story was that he heavily partook of drink and drugs whilst in college, developed medical issues and began having epileptic seizures due to his lifestyle. Got kicked out of college, got kicked out by his parents, and just took to the road. He has family in GA (where he is originally from) and hiked back from San Diego to visit IF his mother would see him. He told me that he has travelled back and forth seven times. He is currently on disability, but ran out of money last week when he used his remaining funds to get a room and some food (was really cold in this area last week).
    I dropped him off at the store, gave him $30 (stopped at the ATM on the way beforehand), told him to go get him some food (said he hasn't eaten in 2 days) and wished him well.
    It appears that he is relatively happy with his lot in life. I'm sure that if I had time, I could have learned a thing or two from this fellow concerning urban survival.
    Makes me even more thankful for what I have!

Thanks to all who have replied and the kind words.

Some times it strike us strange when we run across some one that is living different form what we consider normal.

From your story, seems he is kinda making his way, has had some experience and is making the best of things.

As far as living skills, I often think that same of a few people I have met, wonder how they get by and what the reason for their choices.

Makes a good thanks giving story and life lesson...........Thanks for sharing.

Rep sent. (oops can't have to spread around.)
    Some one cover this please.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Some times it strike us strange when we run across some one that is living different form what we consider normal.

From your story, seems he is kinda making his way, has had some experience and is making the best of things.

As far as living skills, I often think that same of a few people I have met, wonder how they get by and what the reason for their choices.

Makes a good thanks giving story and life lesson...........Thanks for sharing.

Rep sent. (oops can't have to spread around.)
    Some one cover this please.
    Gottcha.

Good job Mr. Fixit. Some of the women I work with have lived on the streets for years and years. I am constantly amazed at their survival skills and the stories they have to tell.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

My opinion......
    You did well.
    You did not owe him anything; you owed yourself. The kind of person you are is conditioned by what you do and what you say. The most obvious case is people will major depression - the best cure for depression - and I've heard it over and over by people who are actually depressed - is to help others. Jesus said that it's not what goes into a person that defiles them (it just goes on through and is excreted), but it's the words that come out of a persons mouth - regardless of whether the person believes what they're saying or doing, the words reinforces themselves in their mind until it becomes part of them. You reinforced that you are a good person and if that's your habit, then you will be a good person.

The other benefit was to the world. When people hear "pollution", they think chemical pollution, but you all know that there's light pollution and sound pollution. I'm a shaman so I believe that everything you put out into the world - your attitudes, emotions, relationships - either make the world a better or worse place. People can pollute the world be simply being nasty. You made the whole world a better place be simply benefiting another person.

But the primary benefit for the world is balance. You can even be too good to someone else. I know people who are so concerned for others welfare that they have become intolerable nags. They have ideas about what's best for others and they are going to force or harass them into doing what they think is best. So you were probably even right in measure (hard to say since I wasn't there.)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

....WVZ.. right on......We (hunting crew) offered a pan of chili to our local homeless/off grid/hermit/ odd ball...thinking he was hungry.......said "No thanks, I'm vegan.....Had meat in it.....LOL

You did what you could , and thats more than most would do. God bless you MrFixIt, the World is a little closer to the good with your actions Happy Thanksgiving!

Good on ya FixIt.

It is amazing, truly, what a little kindness and a lack of judgment can do.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You did great, most people would just walk by. In this day and age, one never knows, and taking a chance at being decent to another human being is a good thing all around.

Wow, thank you good people for the kind and generous comments!
    This was an extremely humbling experience for me today. I've had dealings with homeless/different lifestyle people before in my life travels, but this hit "home" if you will.
    I sincerely hope that this guy does as I asked him when he told me he had no way to thank me other than saying "thank you". I asked him to pay it forward when/if he could.

In have only this to say...God Bless you!!! And may one day, should you get into any difficulties, God will steer the people around you to help you too!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I just wrote a huge rambling post about how impressed i am and what a great thing you did then i read it,erased it(because it was mostly rambling nonsense lol),instead i will just say if more people acted the way you did the world would be a better place am proud to be on same forum way to go!!!!!!!

You did well. You are a good man.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Wow, thank you good people for the kind and generous comments!
    This was an extremely humbling experience for me today. I've had dealings with homeless/different lifestyle people before in my life travels, but this hit "home" if you will.
    I sincerely hope that this guy does as I asked him when he told me he had no way to thank me other than saying "thank you". I asked him to pay it forward when/if he could.
    I think the others have hit the nail on the head. I think you did good! It's so easy to step over people in the course of your day, but everyone is human no matter what situation they find themselves in. And the wheel usually comes back around; you might be on top today but on the downside tomorrow. I help when I can with no expectation of any reward but hey, if karma wants to smile on me someday who am I to argue?

I agree with Hunter and Winnie, you did more than most people would have. Most would have ignored him, ran him off, or called the cops to arrest him. It looks to me like you have a good heart and helped how you could I mean you gave a complete stranger every penny of cash you had on you! I think you did great and deserve praise for it!
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I woke up last night and realized that I didn't even ask him his name.
    Maybe it was better that way...