Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Horses for Survival?

Point is "Do what you know".
    You won't hear me saying ...."OMG SHTF, Need a horse"......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And then sometimes there are not so great shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94xfyW3pU9k

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Point is "Do what you know".
    You won't hear me saying ...."OMG SHTF, Need a horse"......
    Yup. where as I'm already set up with them so I may be more inclined to use them than others.

Banned

Default Harbor Freight trailer saves $, but don't haul livestock in or with it.

Had a super cheap buddy that narrowed a Harbor Freight Trailer added a Colman Cooler.....and ended up with a similar set up.

Broke down in Arkansas, so he just called his wife, had her sell everything and moved there.......?
    Must have been the trailers fault.
    I borrowed one of those cheap Harbor Freight Trailers from a friend to haul an extra canoe on a group campout about 130 miles from home once. Roof rack of SUV was full of kayaks already. Funny thing is that because I was forced to keep my speed under 60 mph I got much better gas mileage than I had ever gotten before. Those tiny tires and wheel bearings had me worried but they held up. Being passed by EVERYONE was difficult psychologically but at least I was not Amish in a horse and buggy. Or on SH130 (Pickle Parkway) from north of Austin to south of San Antonio where the speed limit is 85 mph (so Texans drive 90-120mph?). Trucks and cars passing me there would have blown me off the highway or spooked the horse and put me in a real "pickle". pun intended.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_130

Banned

Default Fun times with livestock, tired arms

Quote Originally Posted by Fort fireman View Post
    And then sometimes there are not so great shots.
    Somedays your arms get tired culling cattle. I remember once when our cattle got into some bad feed (byproduct of brewery) or vegetation (cannot remember exactly, was a long time ago) and we had to give them all oral medicine for the squirts. They may have been sick, but their necks were still strong and they did not want to drink out of those bottles. Also even though all the milk had to be thrown out we still had to milk them. Every time a tail went up it meant yellow stuff was about to splatter everywhere. Fun times with livestock.

Harbor Freight trailers may not be an answer for high speed hot Texas highways.

Still have one in my stable...has already suffered a catastrophic failure of weight, speed, and small tires....Didn't know it for about 15 miles, till slowed down and turned right.....and saw sparks.

Has been up graded to 12" tires, and heavier springs.........One still must be aware of dry rot/checking....load limits.
    Mostly use it around "The Place" for hauling 4 wheeler to service, wood/lunber hauling, canoe/duck boat....and utility stuff.

Banned

Default HF trailers useful, modify to pull with horses?

Harbor Freight trailers Has been up graded to 12" tires, and heavier springs …. Mostly use it around "The Place" for hauling 4 wheeler to service, wood/lunber hauling, canoe/duck boat....and utility stuff.
    I agree if upgraded wheels, springs and deck these can be very useful. I imagine a person could even modify one to pull it with a horse/mule/ox or 4 wheeler etc. The one I used saved me $ on gas.

Reminds me of time I saw a pop up trailer with tiny wheels going across a low water crossing at a National Wildlife Refuge. The water was rushing over the road and well above the centerline of the wheels. I was thinking I wonder how that camping tailer works as a watercraft? LOL. Might need a team of Clydesdales to pull it up out of the river bed once the waters recede. Unfortunately for my amusement they made it across, but I had my camera ready just in case it was a Darwin Award moment. LOL
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-05-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

English, English, What are you gonna do when they come for you....English (Sing to the Bad Boys tune)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Banned

Default Horse Herpes in Texas, OH Snap!

When you rely on a horse to haul your survival gear things like Equine Herpes are a concern:

http://abc13.com/pets/horses-in-galv...-virus/507421/

XXXXL latex Torjans are not appropriate protection because it does NOT spread like that (pun intended). However, realistically speaking even if you own a horse in Texas the chances of it being stolen by horse rustler is higher than it being infected by the Equine Herpes Virus. I just could not pass up the fact that there is no vaccine for it and the pun on Trojan horse, ha ha ha. Stupid joke I know… I do feel sorry for the folks that lost their horses in the Galveston area however.

Edit: Horses and cattle stolen in Texas
    "The Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association is also investigating. A spokesperson says out of the more than 2,600 cattle and horses that have been stolen this year, the average is about half will be recovered."
    http://www.fox4news.com/story/264433...mansfield-barn
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-07-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: 2600 cattle and horses stolen in 2014

Yup, with the price of beef being what it is , I'm not surprised cattle rustling is up.

Banned

Default Pack goats, hiking Washakie Pass

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    get a goat.
    In some parts of Wyoming goats ARE the best pack animals, here is a good photo someone was kind enough to share online:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    link not reliable so search here:
    http://www.mchalepacks.com/gallery/d...%20Whitney.htm

or this:
    CHARLIE'S goats 14x.jpg

Please be kind and do not repost without giving credit to mchalepacks

I like horses but believe me domesticated mountain goats are hardier especially if you are at high elevations, or burro or larger mule depending on how much gear you really need. Iskander may need a whole train of mountain mules/goats while prospecting for silver. I'm just sayin' LOL
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-12-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: alternate photo links, upload

Can't see pic's........

I'm a horse guy. No secret there. However if I was going for distance or fairly rugged terrain I would absolutely go with a mule or 2. They are just all around tougher . IMHO