Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthetics vs. good old fashion wool

Banned

Default Breathability of GoreTex like fabrics is very poor

GoreTex (a very old technology whose patent expired many years ago) has many problems: if you are sweating in a humid environment it will not breath much at all because this feature only works if there is a very large differential between the humidity (moisture from your body, which is continual, sweat or not) and the outside humidity. Therefore a base layer that wicks away body moisture can help a little if there is somewhere for it to wick to, also layering so you reduce sweating, and finally an insulation such as wool or something synthetic like Thinsulate that still provides some insulation even when wet. Here is a link that explains some of these technologies better than I can but this link is very limited, there are many more, also some very cheap competitors to GoreTex from China that I am not sure are any better, could be worse. Best to read up and test it out before you travel very far into the wildereness depending on it.
    http://www.denalioutdoor.com/gg_wbbrands2.aspx

I had some friends used $1000 GoreTex fabric dry suits for ww kayaking river that was only about 40F water, air 25-60F, their once dry clothes were drenched in sweat and it got them very cold every time they stopped moving. I was in very light quick dry splash top, quick dry pants, 0.5mm farmer john minimal wet suit, with dry clothes in dry bag. I stayed much warmer and dried off much faster, hiking boots in d-bag. If boat was busted could have made it out of there in a few hours. They would have almost frozen as soon as sun went down as their once dry cloths drenched in sweat got very cold. No such thing as a "dry suit", "dry bag", "breathable fabric" these are all aspirational terms, do NOT imply a guarantee.

I've used Gore-Tex for years and love it. My boots had Gore-Tex liners when we were in Alaska. We rafted several rivers while there and although my boots were full of water I never had cold feet. Courtesy of Gore-Tex and Smartwool.

I do have a couple fleece tops. I like them for a layer but I'm am not in love with the wind stopping ability. I also worry about how good it is when wet. I also have a couple that have small holes in them from sitting by a fire and having an ember land in the. That one is one of those fleece jackets with the nylon shoulders and elbow. It's that nylon that caught a couple embers not the actual fleece though. Like some others have said my stuff really is a combo of wool and the synthetics however I an starting to gravitate toward the wools as I replace stuff.

I don't have any smart wool stuff but I have some "Omni- wool" socks. I guess it's a cheaper version and I love them.

Years ago I was issued wool shirts with my TA-50 gear. Loved 'em. Everything issued now-a-days, seems to be man-made.

If weight is an issue, I have to take a pass on the wool. Still, curling up in a nice thick wool blanket on a cold night while watching the Northern Lights is a lot of fun...

Silk unders, wool thermals, third layer depends. I also use Omni-wool socks can not be beat for the price, they are daily wear around these parts.

Right now its below 0/ single digit wheather.

Layers layers layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Silk unders, wool thermals, third layer depends. I also use Omni-wool socks can not be beat for the price, they are daily wear around these parts.

Right now its below 0/ single digit wheather.

Layers layers layers.
    Shouldn't that be the first layer to keep everything else from getting wet?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Shouldn't that be the first layer to keep everything else from getting wet?
    I see what you did there.

Wool and poly.base layer. Upgrading to merino base layer at some point. Most of my outer layer clothing is wool. Ohio hardly ever gets into the single digits or bellow zero . Although it does once in a while. When it does I use wool as a second layer and the third layer is a nylon/cotton shell jacket pants to stop the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk