Thread: Dehydrated refried beans

Default Dehydrated refried beans

Ok, in Tarrant county jail they have dehydrated refried beans available for the inmates on commisarry that are really good and really cheap. (Don't ask how I know),

But I can't find the brand on the internet.

Everything I can find is either gourmet or backpacking food, and it's kind of expensive. I'm not willing to pay the price because I can make a huge pot of pinto beans and turn it into refried beans for less than $2.

Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate refried beans in the oven? If so, do you have any tips or advice?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Alpine, I'm sure you can dehydrate them. Seems like I saw somewhere how to do it but I'll be damn if I can find where. Like you I found a lot of sources for them already dehydrated. I'd be curious how to do it as well.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Default Found one

Try this and see it works for you Alpine Sapper,

Dehydrated Refried Beans hot water to taste salt2 cdry pinto, black, or red beans3garlic cloves, minced1 medonion, minced4 Tolive oil Cover the beans with boiling water. Let stand overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse the beans. Add fresh water and bring to a boil. Add onion and one garlic clove. Cover and simmer for ~2 hours, until the beans are soft. Season with salt. In a large skillet saute the 2 remaining garlic cloves in the oil. Using a slotted spoon place the beans in the skillet. Add a small amount of cooking liquid and mash the beans. Simmer to a thick consistency. Spread the beans on a prepared tray and dry at 120° F for 6 to 8 hours. To Prepare: For 2 cups of refried beans, bring 1 c water and 1 c dehydrated beans to a boil. Cover pot, remove from heat, and let stand until water is absorbed (~5 minutes). Yields ~3 cups of dehydrated beans.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Try this and see it works for you Alpine Sapper,

Dehydrated Refried Beans hot water to taste salt2 cdry pinto, black, or red beans3garlic cloves, minced1 medonion, minced4 Tolive oil Cover the beans with boiling water. Let stand overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse the beans. Add fresh water and bring to a boil. Add onion and one garlic clove. Cover and simmer for ~2 hours, until the beans are soft. Season with salt. In a large skillet saute the 2 remaining garlic cloves in the oil. Using a slotted spoon place the beans in the skillet. Add a small amount of cooking liquid and mash the beans. Simmer to a thick consistency. Spread the beans on a prepared tray and dry at 120° F for 6 to 8 hours. To Prepare: For 2 cups of refried beans, bring 1 c water and 1 c dehydrated beans to a boil. Cover pot, remove from heat, and let stand until water is absorbed (~5 minutes). Yields ~3 cups of dehydrated beans.
    Awesome. Thanks, Nell! I'm off for the next two days, so I'm gonna give this a try.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Your welcome!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Ok, in Tarrant county jail they have dehydrated refried beans available for the inmates on commisarry that are really good and really cheap. (Don't ask how I know),

But I can't find the brand on the internet.

Everything I can find is either gourmet or backpacking food, and it's kind of expensive. I'm not willing to pay the price because I can make a huge pot of pinto beans and turn it into refried beans for less than $2.

Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate refried beans in the oven? If so, do you have any tips or advice?
    Not just refried beans but dehydrated refried beans ????

Alpine - Find out who their supplier is. I'll bet it's a commercial food distributor. That's the reason you can't find it online or in the stores. They probably only sell their brand name or supply a commercial only product.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have a fair amount of freeze dried slightly used dog food. Must submit order soon be for all the snow is gone, and the rains come. This is a very limited time offer, this food was only used one time by a love-able standard poodle. Hurry supplies are limited............

Let me figure this out.....used food......Hmmm. That means the poodle had.....well, that is just sick!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So if you reconstitute the dehydrated refried beans.....are the f***s dehydrated or reconstituted? Which is worse in a small tent?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I have a fair amount of freeze dried slightly used dog food. Must submit order soon be for all the snow is gone, and the rains come. This is a very limited time offer, this food was only used one time by a love-able standard poodle. Hurry supplies are limited............
    Wrong thread, bud. Bragg's Food Ration thread is located here:

http://wilderness-survival.net/forum...ed=1#post42005

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Awesome. Thanks, Nell! I'm off for the next two days, so I'm gonna give this a try.
    Ok, I finally got around to getting the actual pinto beans made tonight. TDW had me out car shopping for my days off. I'm dropping them in the crock pot tonight, and will turn them from pinto's > refried > dehydrated tomorrow when I get home. Will let you know how they turn out.
    Samuel Adams

Try the book The Best of the Basics. They tell how to dry almost anything.

The LDS(Mormon) cannery has re fries in #25 bags for $32.25. That comes out to $1.29 a lb. I would call the local church and see if they have a cannery in your area and when it is open. You do not have to be Mormon and they do not preach at you.

I also found them at a place in town (Sourh West Distributers) for 2.5 lbs at $3.77 a bag. That comes out to $1.50 a lb.

I too like my refried beans.

I hope this info helps.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

If you like the dehydrated refried beans, you may also want to try dehydrating black beans. I usually buy cans of black beans, drain off the juice and then toss the beans in a bit of garlic powder and onion powder. Then spread them on the dehydrator trays.

They dry quite fast and make an excellent snack. I keep several vac sealed bags of dehydrated black beans in my BOB.

Depending on your preference dehydrating any type of bean results in a nutritious snack.

So A.S. how did they turn out?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

the first batch I didn't have time to let them dry fully, so they didn't turn out that great. The second batch was primo perfecto. I'd post pictures but TDW left my camera at the inlaws some time ago and I haven't been able to make it up to DFW to get it back yet.

Thanks again, Nell.

Now, I have the hamburge rocks, and the refried beans, and the packaged spanish rice, Wildwoman's technique for preserving cheddar cheese. All I need to do is figure out if I should dehydrate the chipotles and adobo sauce, onions and garlic on their own and carry the spices, put it together in the field, or add it to the hamburger rocks before I dehydrate them and just make the whole thing of taco meat reconstitutable in the field. I'm thinking it'll conserve fuel to do it the latter way since it needs to simmer for ~10 minutes once you add everything to the hamburger. Just haven't had time for experimentation with that aspect yet.
    Samuel Adams

Blog Entries

Why not let the Quality Control Department help with some advice?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I want on this quality control board!

I just got 50 lbs of dehydrated pintos from the pantry this week. I put most of it in food grade bucket with Gama lids(Screw on lids) About 10 lbs went into the frig for extended testing by myself.

50 lbs of dehydrated pintos comes out to 100lbs of beans. That would be a lot of burritos and methane!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!