Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Froze up plumbing

Some are made to work in cold weather....a light bulb by the compressor helps....

I guess I did not surprise me to hear about the lack of soldered joints....cheaper, faster, and no skill needed......but more susceptible, to heat changes, expansion and contracting....and leaks.

Dealt with some out side condenser coils that were glued.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

HUNTER63 - " ... Love the Pex....if this would have been copper, CPVC or black pipe, I sure there would have been damage......."
    What is "Pex?"

Glad you had no damage. Nothing like having to repipe damaged pipes.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Pex is plastic flexible tubing that along with fitting is used for all sorts of plumbing and boiler applications.

Examples

http://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbi...-know/view-all

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Neighbor up the road has a web cam back operating....for awhile anyway.......got about 2" last night.

http://mwt.net/~mwheeler/webcam.html

You can kinda see the Kickapoo River out in the back ground......
    Really looks good hunter, pretty mountian or rolling hills which ever you call them.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Quote Originally Posted by Awanita View Post
    Really looks good hunter, pretty mountian or rolling hills which ever you call them.
    This area is Southwest Wisconsin is called the "Coulee Region" many hills valleys, rivers..."The Place" is on the Kickapoo River.
    We love it......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

hunter63 - looking back on the situation, what will you do differently when winterizing the "place" next time?

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    hunter63 - looking back on the situation, what will you do differently when winterizing the "place" next time?
    Do the whole job......drain water heater, that holds the water back as is in line.....this allow ALL the line to drain down, both hot and cold.
    Have done the whole job since 2006 and has always been fine....do have the plastic sprayer on kitchen sink break a couple of times....$6 bucks and have spares.

I was in a hurry, took a short cut and it almost was a disaster......
    There is a lesson here.

Thanks for the info on PEX, Hunter63. Sounds like good pipe to replace old water pipes.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Don't forget to flip the breaker on the water heater or turn off the gas before draining it. Once you have released the pressure then you can open the pressure relief valve in the top of the water heater to allow air in while the water is draining. Just don't forget to close it.

Right on.....Rick
    and TURN OFF PUMP.........That way if something does break....my pump won't run for 3 months.......and really flood everything including septic system.

It's like a check list....if one stays on schedule, follows the routine, every step.....will be a successful shut down....if not.....possible problems .

Interesting thread.
    Last edited by sjj; 05-02-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Hope it was, my mistakes if avoided by some one else....isn't a complete waste of time.

Good post, thanks for the heads up/reminder.
    Glad nothing broke.

So got up this morning...... 4 degrees....hunting season over..(no deer)....and packed the truck to come on back to the city.

Took DW thru the shutdown procedure in case she has to do it.....

Note....the last thing to be shut down it the toilet...in case their is a emergency (if you know what I mean)....It will still flush with the tank/bowl full.

Turn off pump, shut inlet valve.
    Open drain valve....open all hot/ cold faucets.....
    Connect water heater drain to hose...
    Shut off power switch......
    Open drain and open pressure relief valve.
    Open faucets for washer/dryer hook up...(none hooked up) to break vacuum.

All line draining.....

Remove sink water filter from housing....and sprayer nozzle...shake out water and break vacuum.

Add the Anti-freeze to all traps....new stuff really has a stronger smell...I'm thinking the alcohol may have evaporated for the old stuff........and gave everything a bigger dose.

This stuff goes on sale at big box stores Lowes, Menards etc for like $1.50 a gal....wait too long and have to get from hardware store....$7.50 a gal.

Water heater drained down......shut off close relief valve.
    No emergencies to deal with,...so flush and drain toilet tank.....remove hose from fill line....shake out water...only line that can't just drain directly down.

Add anti-freeze to bowl and tank....
    Check heat tape on inlet line and shower trap.
    Done

Re-check propane, porch light timer power, all switches that need to be off,....and all switches that need to be on.....

Load up and down the road we go.......4 hours.

Sounds like you have it down to a science. Hope there are no surprises when you get back to The Place.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

did ya shut off the coffee pot?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Yeah......and kept a rinse handy....for that "one last cup or pot" when everything is shut down and antifreeze added.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sounds like you have it down to a science. Hope there are no surprises when you get back to The Place.
    It's always a gamble...but if done correctly, has worked.
    Did have a couple of break-in's over the years.......you don't keep anything flashy like booze, money, electronics or guns behind.......TV's are so cheap that no one steals them.....

So for those that are wanting a Place or BOL or Homestead........You are not there......some one breaking in or storm damage, or anything that may happen need to be thought of...... and dealt with.

FYI washing machines with water still in the pump,... maybe at risk...contact mfg customer service.

I just came home from a weeks vacation with a Water Heater on the fritz. Looks like it was just the lower element. Changed it out tonight. Thinking I might throw the water heater breaker next time. I gotta leave the water on so friends can water the horses.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I winterize a washing machine by pouring a 1/2 gallon of redpop into it and then put it into spin cycle and it will pump the water out and replace it with the anti freeze. I watch the end of the hose and when I see the red anti freeze come, its good. I allow it to pump enough to winterize the trap the hose is connected to.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I winterize a washing machine by pouring a 1/2 gallon of redpop into it and then put it into spin cycle and it will pump the water out and replace it with the anti freeze. I watch the end of the hose and when I see the red anti freeze come, its good. I allow it to pump enough to winterize the trap the hose is connected to.
    Good info........Hey y'all out there.....real good info.