Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quicker Way to Chop Wood.

Default A Quicker Way to Chop Wood.

It's a nice way to split wood but I have to wonder what he does with all that small wood. I would have split it half in two.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Why, he builds small fires.

LOL, I was thinking for the cookstove.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I want to know what kind of wood he's using that splits so easy. No knots? No heartwood? Poker-straight grain? It seems like a crime to burn that stuff. Wood that clear and nice might be better used for woodcraft projects!

That said, it's a clever technique. When I split my firewood I end up gathering it from as far as 10 feet away, or more.

Was there something unusual about his ax? I can't decide of the blade is shaped differently than I'm used to or if I'm imagining it.

Splitting maul.

I split my firewood in the woods on the ground.

For me, it is rare I can get wood to split that easily. But then, I always use an axe instead of a splitting maul. My problem, perhaps?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I always used a maul and the pieces would go flying no matter how easy or difficult the piece was to split. Wish I had thought of something like that. I wouldn't split that fast but wouldn't have to retrieve pieces I'd split.

Have seen another vid, though it was posted by some one on here....the log was inside a tire kinda doing the same thing as the spring strap.

That's Beech. It's a beautiful wood, great for doing hardwood finishes and can be used in place of hard maple. It doesn't burn easy though. It's a better wood for building, especially furniture because it's easy to work. Such a waste.

Splits easy however.

The problem with that method is if your off by an inch, you're going to mess up your maul.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 11-17-2014 at 09:31 PM.

You know you can imbed those photos and videos using options in the advanced reply. When you open the advanced dashboard, you will see buttons for embedding photos and video as the 4th and 5th buttons from the right. That way viewers don't have to redirect to see your links.

The wood seems to split rather easily. I wonder if it's got to do with his ax as well. I'll see if I can incorporate his technique. I don't do the chopping of wood often but there are unavoidable circumstances when there's a need to do it.

I burned up about a face cord in the last two weeks........at "The Place"....the cabin....got down to like 4 degrees..

Quote Originally Posted by roxanwright View Post
    The wood seems to split rather easily. I wonder if it's got to do with his ax as well. I'll see if I can incorporate his technique. I don't do the chopping of wood often but there are unavoidable circumstances when there's a need to do it.
    It appears to be a very straight grain wood that is easy to split. I split about 3/4 of a cord this week from a downed oak and can say with authority that this method would not have worked other than to make a rather humorous video.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    It appears to be a very straight grain wood that is easy to split. I split about 3/4 of a cord this week from a downed oak and can say with authority that this method would not have worked other than to make a rather humorous video.
    Bhohahaha....I was thinking the same.
    These vids remind me of infomercials...... for secret axes, and wedges and mauls.......

Most of the wood I split is oak, elm, and then there is box elder.....All can be a challenge.

Box elder, will not burn the first year, best burned the second year, by the third year it has turned to paper.
    You don't split it, ...you kinda "butterfly" it like steak.....and can end up with a long flat piece that looks like cut out paper dolls.

Take what you see with a grain of salt...or a few grains of gunpowder....

I don't need firewood that bad. In fact, I've never needed firewood that bad and I feel safe in saying I will never need firewood that bad. That is a Darwin Award nominee.