Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Surviving Winter Ice Stoms

Given the terrible mud slides you folks experienced last year this does not bode well.

Hate freezing fog............drove through 8 hours worth at 35 mph, heading south on year....and as we came down off the plains is southern Illinois.....broke into the sun light....trees bushes and about everything was completely covered with crystals of sparking in the sun light.....

DW says "OOOOH Isn't that pretty!"

Noooooooo, it wasn't.....as I pried my fingers off the steering wheel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Came across the mackinac bridge today with it blowing and snowing and ice, can't seem to get use to that.

here's a better view of the bridge from a few years back

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

That is a seriously evil bridge to cross on a good day. Any bridge that needs a full tank of gas to cross is not on my list of good things.

Banned

Default Warmest year in 2014

According to NASA and NOAA 2014 was a tiny bit warmer, enough to make it a record year, and this has been a trend. So as long as you don't own low land near the coast, near a muddy hill or one with dry vegetation, farm in a dry area and about a thousand other things you may enjoy a bit of slightly warmer weather this year as well. Releasing less CO2 might help, but cheap petrol from Saudi Arabia will ensure that we all still do that and soon look like S.A.

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/janua.../#.VLnD3d5tnFI

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

I read the same thing on the local newspaper, and last year it was pretty cold in Pennsylvania, this year it even seems to be colder, eve during th summer, it did not feel that warm. I keep track on the weather in Nebraska Where my cousin lives, and the winter last year and this year seemed like it was warmer, I guess you have to take into account where the jet stream is dipping, and look back hundred or thousand of yeas back and see if the same applied back then, take into account that back then there were no cars or cows to contribute to the hot weather phenomena but they had some hellish volcanoes that by comparison make cars, cows, and factories small by comparison, just a thought for I'm no scientist, just try to use some common sense.

Banned

Default $$$ Science and finger to wind, LOL

I was just being sarcastic about "Warmest Year" measurements. Loss of global biomass that buffers climate and more CO2 and other naturally occurring and man made gasses in the atmosphere that may result in more weather extremes both hot and cold. Geological samples in rock, ice core and sea floor sediments appear to indicate that these cycles have occurred for thousand or millions of years (young earth/old earth big bang take your choice). My biggest concern with carbon emissions is air and water pollution, its effects on human and other biological health. But then I probably read far to many science papers and am "lost in the forest" bumping into trees. LOL

BTW last summer was relatively mild here in Texas, this winter seems fairly cold. Finger to wind, toes in air and what the talking head on TV weather says. What the heck humans know how the adapt almost as well as cockroaches.

All I know if Jim Cantore shows up....take cover...or shag his butte outa there, you are in for bunch of nasty......either way.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yep. That would be a sure sign of the Apocalypse.

Barkeep: "Well I'll be."
    Me: "Who's that"?
    Barkeep: "Jim Cantore."
    Me: Frantically dialing phone. "Honey, grab the bug out bags I'm on my way. I'll slow down but I ain't stopping so hop in quick like!"

Jim Cantore doesn't worry me. What worries me is the height of the snow-measuring stick he's carrying.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant