Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tire slime

Default tire slime

I've been using tire slime in my atv and work trucks, seems to be helping.

Any users? what do you think?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I used it in my dirt bikes when I rode. Not sure if it helped or if I was lucky. I do keep fix-a-flat in the vehicles.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Used it in mower tires, wasn't impressed.....but the 4 wheeler seems to help.

Still have a leak....leak down to a certain pressure, then stops......Slime didn't help.

Down south, at SIL old work, a tire shop, they fill all new 4 wheeler tires with it.....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have them but used it only twice. After that I ditched all the slime away...for my tubelss, it would be better to use a hole plugger and a pump...for my dirt bike...I would change the tube and then pump the tire...hate all the messy stuff in my rims.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I use it in my kids bike tires. It works perfect for that application. One time I pulled out 20+ sticker thorns in each of my son's tires. It has been maybe 4 or 5 years from that incident, and I still haven't changed the tube. They hold air for at least a week. The tires are on my second son. I haven't tried it in anything bigger than a bicycle tire, but I am sold for bike tires.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

We have lots of sticker things and sharp stuff on the ground and were getting flats on the riding mower (I refuse to call it a tractor) and the little poop wagons. Started using slime about three years ago and have had no problem.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use it in the tires of my mountain bike, it has worked with the pin holes caused by sharp gravel and thorns.

Made a big mess one time when I placed my bike improperly on my car rack and the car exhaust burned a hole in the sidewall of the tire. Sounded like a gunshot, the car looked liked it was hit with fifty paintballs.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Be aware that there are different grades of tire slime - according to my ATV dealer, anyway. They put the same stuff they use in logging truck tires in my Polaris UTV tires. I have had no leaks since then.

I used a white pure latex glue for the same purpose many years before the slime came out. Same stuff. After taking the valve stem out, you had to push the top of the tire to get some air out of the tire and create a vacuum to pull the glue into the valve. It worked fine mostof the time. At about 20 degrees all the glue in the tire is ruined since it isn't freeze thaw stable.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I used it in my dirt bikes when I rode. Not sure if it helped or if I was lucky. I do keep fix-a-flat in the vehicles.
    Careful with tire sealants folks - if you have a modern vehicle with tire pressure monitoring sensors they can damage the sensors requiring replacement of the sensors.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

And those @#$@$ things are NOT cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Careful with tire sealants folks - if you have a modern vehicle with tire pressure monitoring sensors they can damage the sensors requiring replacement of the sensors.
    ............and are a PITA.......

Make sure to get the right formula for your tires. There's formulas for tubeless and tube tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    This is real good advice.....including fix a flat.

Yeah, I keep my tires filled with AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    These days that is advisable.

Picture blasting down the road, duck boat in tow, truck filled with gun, decoys, gear, hunting buddy, and dog at 3;00 AM to make opening of duck season 100 miles away.

Light comes on the dash, "Low Tire"......WTF....Just had it serviced?

Tires require 65# PSI.......most gas stations , "put the quarters in"....air compressors don't go that high....so need a truck stop, way out of the way.

Stopped, got out, all tires seemed fine......?

What to do?.........Maybe it will go away........Continued on to the lake, launched the boat, transferred gear, buddy, dog....and parked the truck, 6-ish.

Didn't know if I was gonna come back to a flat tire or what.......?
    Turned out OK....pumped back up at a truck stop on the way home.

Checking back with the dealer ship, had my invoice...seems they found the tires "over inflated" to 67# so had let air out....down to 65#

Got colder, one apparently when down enough to trigger those freaking sensors....

Instructions at service time, to techs...is now, don't touch the freaking tires unless I am standing there to discuss it.....and there will be no tip....if you do.

I like them. Don't get me wrong, they are a pain in the azz in a situation like you described but they have found two nails I wouldn't have otherwise known I had except for low tire pressure. I did have to change out one the tire guys damaged and it was a super pain until I replaced it.

Why would you need batteries in your tire for?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

American Automobile Association. They perform roadside service such as changing flat tires. A bit of bad humor on my part.

American Automobile Association. They perform roadside service such as changing flat tires. A bit of bad humor on my part.
    Maybe Tokwan would have caught, MAA....Malaysian Automobile Association