Thread: 12 volt air compressor

Default 12 volt air compressor

Any thoughts on a durable 12 volt air compressor? Something that would plug into a cigarette lighter or clip to a battery. I've seen cheap rigs that don't last very long. Any thoughts?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

What are you gonna use it for?.....
    I got one that I have used for maybe 20 years...still going......had a light on it that has loosen up and about fell off....I have gotten it wet many times...still works.
    Can't tell you the name....but will look next time, I at "The Place"...about a week.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

basically to inflate tires.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The one I use is slow....as are most of the 12 volt units........Have to look around.

I've had a few (always seem to loan them out and have them not find their way home). I never had any of the higher quality ones, but just the less expensive models from Home Depot, Lowes or WalMart. They worked fine, but weren't as fast as some of the more expensive, fancier models.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a couple from Walmart and I have a problem that they blow a fuse in my truck or ATV. I put gator clips on them. I also have a battery jumper and it works and then shuts off when it gets hot.

I've never even seen any of the higher quality ones. I have -however- seen, owned and used a few of the lower quality ones that can be had for <$20. I don't find they come in handy often enough to 'go through' them, so it hasn't mattered yet.

You can get any number of very high quality 120vAC air compressors and likewise for 12-24v inverters. You can have any point on the whole quality spectrum in fact. Pairing the two would give you the same effect and have greater versatility.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Batch: you're going to find that fuses blow at pretty much exactly the current they say they will, and a given compressor will draw pretty much exactly the same maximum of current consistently. You need to choose a device for any electrical application which draws a load suitable to the supply.

It's always entirely possible that a device of questionable quality or otherwise in a mode of failure will draw more current that it claims to, but you can measure this. If you're blowing fuses, the solution is still to use a device with a smaller load.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    I've never even seen any of the higher quality ones. I have -however- seen, owned and used a few of the lower quality ones that can be had for <$20. I don't find they come in handy often enough to 'go through' them, so it hasn't mattered yet.

You can get any number of very high quality 120vAC air compressors and likewise for 12-24v inverters. You can have any point on the whole quality spectrum in fact. Pairing the two would give you the same effect and have greater versatility.
    Start up amperage is pretty high on air compressors....don't know if an 12/110 inverter has enough to start a110 volt compressor.

Was gonna use a 110 to 12 adaptor to run a 12 volt compressor to charge a boiler system...and it wouldn't start, but would run in the cigarette lighter.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have one of the HF units in each vehicle. They seem to work OK within their limitations of needing 30 minutes to fill a tire from completely flat while telling you on the plastic case to not run them for more than 15 minutes.

I also have one in the garden shed for use on the host of inflatable tires on the tractor, wheel barrow, lawn trailer, cargo trailers and boat trailers.

It beats running to the gas station and filling up the compressor tank every time.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It beats running to the gas station and filling up the compressor tank every time.
    It also takes up a lot less space.

Canid,

Once I realized the ones I bough were blowing the cigarette lighter fuse. I just removed the cigarette light plug and put battery clips on them.

On the ATVs we ride on limestone cap rock that can beat up the rims. That causes the tire to leak air. We find the leak and hammer the rim back to shape and then fill them up. One trick is to drive the ATV onto a ridge or by a buggy rut. So, if the right front tire is flat. I put the left front tire and the right rear tire on the peak of the rut and you don't need a jack and all of the weight is off of that tire as well. So, it fills up quicker.

Thanks for the comments. I probably have a half dozen air compressors but not a 12 volt, well I had a 12 volt. It seems like the cheap 12 volt units don't last long. I like the idea of a 12 volt for the ease of moving from one vehicle to the next. Last night I bought a husky 12 volt from home depot for 49.95, hopefully it lasts.