Thread: New Ammo for 3D Printed Guns

Default New Ammo for 3D Printed Guns

Interesting read but I'll pass for now.

http://www.slashgear.com/new-type-of...guns-06354175/

Yep, no biased reporting there.....
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, that unfortunately it works comment was sort of obvious.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yes, but.....I don't think it is a good design. You either carefully machine EVERY SINGLE CASE, or you machine ONE barrel and use standard ammo. All he is doing is replacing one machined part for another.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I wait on the "phazers"........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, that stun option could come in handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What I REALLY want is one of those TV remotes that can stop time. That would be all kinds of handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What I REALLY want is one of those TV remotes that can stop time. That would be all kinds of handy.
    LOLLOLOLOLO..Brought an old remote to work....when a particularly noisy employee can in my office, rant and raving....I would just put him/her on "Mute".....surprised them so bad they stopped.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't think I am quite ready for a plastic gun....maybe later.

Gee whiz. No one complains about plastic explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Yes, but.....I don't think it is a good design. You either carefully machine EVERY SINGLE CASE, or you machine ONE barrel and use standard ammo. All he is doing is replacing one machined part for another.
    That strikes at the heart of this whole 3d printing/firearms issue altogether. additive manufacturing is currently about price comparable -apart from metals- to the alternative (e.g. machining, or otherwise subtractive manufacturing). The sorts of media who like to feature this technology love a 3d printed gun story, occasionally to the exclusion of acknowledging that firearms are one of the currently least suitable applications, at least at the more affordable levels, and that one can just as well get a mill or lathe -even cnc- to manufacture parts to better accuracy and from materials more suitable to demanding applications.

3d printing high strength metals is currently still the grail. The technology is coming along, but it's not there just yet. In any event; guns are not going to be the first field it revolutionizes. Guns just tend to get people excited one direction or the other.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    That strikes at the heart of this whole 3d printing/firearms issue altogether. additive manufacturing is currently about price comparable -apart from metals- to the alternative (e.g. machining, or otherwise subtractive manufacturing). The sorts of media who like to feature this technology love a 3d printed gun story, occasionally to the exclusion of acknowledging that firearms are one of the currently least suitable applications, at least at the more affordable levels, and that one can just as well get a mill or lathe -even cnc- to manufacture parts to better accuracy and from materials more suitable to demanding applications.

3d printing high strength metals is currently still the grail. The technology is coming along, but it's not there just yet. In any event; guns are not going to be the first field it revolutionizes. Guns just tend to get people excited one direction or the other.

I know you can 3D print titanium. And, I know someone has 3d printed a titanium 1911 frame. But that is really expensive.

Yeah, sometimes I don't think the media understands manufacturing. The two concerns that the media brings up with 3d printed guns is that anyone can do it, and plastic guns can get past metal detectors.
    The first concern of anyone can do it is crazy. A 3d printer is not cheap. Plus you have to have the software and know how, which is also not cheap. A CNC mill is probably close to the same cost, with software also required. However, a non-cnc mill is not as expensive. People have been making firearms for a long time before modern manufacturing. A modern lathe and mill will easily make one, and you probably don't need as much skill. You can also make one out of plastic, or metal, or whatever material you want.
    The second concern is also crazy. Rick pointed out that there are plenty of other more dangerous weapons that aren't metal. And, like I said, you can still make a plastic gun with normal machining. You don't need a 3d printer.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

3D printed AR lowers have been successfully done for several years now. While not an entire gun, it seems to me that would be the more efficient and safe way to go if you were going to to all that trouble.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."