Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Shelters

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Are you talking about natural survival shelters, or what you prefer to use in general, packed in with you?
    I was actually talking about both, shelters that you use just for one night, maybe two at the most would love to know what you pack with you

Hmm. Apparently the term winter shelters is different! For me it's only a little below freezing, I have no idea what extra things would need to be done for those temps. I think the lowest temperatures I ever "camped" in were in Afghanistan.

Speaking of which I just googled Afghanistan to check out the average lows in winter. Wiki makes that place look like a freakin dream vacation.
    It actually snowed on us several times at night. The first time it happened, I was astonished. The temps during the day in triple digits sometimes, then at night below freezing!?!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Speaking of which I just googled Afghanistan to check out the average lows in winter. Wiki makes that place look like a freakin dream vacation.
    Well,if you pick the right travel agent, they will even pay for you to go, while providing food and shelter and health care and clothing and transportation. They will even give you a rifle to use. You can't keep it, but you can use it while you are there.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well, I use my Stratospire II. It's basically just wind and rain protection. But it works here for winter. I rely mostly on good ground insulation and my sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    It actually snowed on us several times at night. The first time it happened, I was astonished. The temps during the day in triple digits sometimes, then at night below freezing!?!
    We had plenty of snow. The attacks slowed in winter. Used to joke about seeing a turban or pizza hat floating through the snow and hearing a shivering voiced chattering teeth "Allah ak-k-k-k-k-k-bar"
    From wiki- Mountains of Paktika

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    BS that's were I was. It was snowy but had nothing good looking about it. I can't tell if this is even a photo or painting.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Well,if you pick the right travel agent, they will even pay for you to go, while providing food and shelter and health care and clothing and transportation. They will even give you a rifle to use. You can't keep it, but you can use it while you are there.
    Hahaha!!!

Temps usually don't get below 25 where I live, and usuall temps are like 32 in winter. Never camped in winter, so not sure about my preferred winter shelter
    Last edited by Arctic Fox; 11-06-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

For up here, Arctic Ovens are the way to go. They are expensive and heavy, but if you are going to be outside in our winters, you need expensive and heavy.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Oh, geeze, what a great pic. I took a pic like that once but it didn't have the Northern Lights and the tent was actually on fire. Other than that about the same.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Lol oh my goodness! Bet it didn't take long for it it to burn/melt.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I love late fall/winter camping! Give me a deer season in single-digit or teen temperatures, and 2 inches of fresh powder, and I am in heaven! Of course, that's pretty rare to happen in November in Missouri.

I use straw to stay warm (usually have plenty of bales in the barn each year). I've done this in a tent before, but I like to take a bale of straw and break it up and fill the bed of my truck with it. Two old fiberglass tent poles go crosswise through the stake pockets, throw a tarp over it and bungee strap it to the truck, and I'm good! Roll a rock off the side of the firepit before bed, and let it cool down until I can keep my bare hands on it anywhere without having to pull them off, and stick it in the bottom of my sleeping bag for my feet. I lay out a couple of 30 degree sleeping bags over the straw and burrow a pocket into a bit for more insulation, and I can sleep quite comfortably even at 10 below. Nice soft bed too!

If I was going to be outdoors for an extended period of time, you could always build one of these:

Winter Wigwam.jpg

My understanding is this is more of a traditional Ojibwa shelter. You could modify this a bit with some more modern materials; I would probably use tarps on the outside of each frame, stuff straw between the frames, and use some spare pvc pipe or similar for the fire's air supply.

That last pic....wow. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_Al View Post
    I love late fall/winter camping! Give me a deer season in single-digit or teen temperatures, and 2 inches of fresh powder, and I am in heaven! Of course, that's pretty rare to happen in November in Missouri.

I use straw to stay warm (usually have plenty of bales in the barn each year). I've done this in a tent before, but I like to take a bale of straw and break it up and fill the bed of my truck with it. Two old fiberglass tent poles go crosswise through the stake pockets, throw a tarp over it and bungee strap it to the truck, and I'm good! Roll a rock off the side of the firepit before bed, and let it cool down until I can keep my bare hands on it anywhere without having to pull them off, and stick it in the bottom of my sleeping bag for my feet. I lay out a couple of 30 degree sleeping bags over the straw and burrow a pocket into a bit for more insulation, and I can sleep quite comfortably even at 10 below. Nice soft bed too!

If I was going to be outdoors for an extended period of time, you could always build one of these:

Winter Wigwam.jpg

My understanding is this is more of a traditional Ojibwa shelter. You could modify this a bit with some more modern materials; I would probably use tarps on the outside of each frame, stuff straw between the frames, and use some spare pvc pipe or similar for the fire's air supply.
    Watched a couple put up a wigwam last summer at Rondy....
    Post #13

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...endezvous-2014
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Military pup tent, does a great job and is extremely durable, only downside is the weight but I don't mind