Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The start of my emergency food storage.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Under what conditions/temperatures are you planning on storing these packages? What kind of "expiration" date are you going to mark them?
    Cool and dark. I'll mark the month and year it was made to reference the age, don't feel the need to put an expiration date on the.

I'm the same way on stuff I can and dehydrate. I keep it in the food pantry so light can't get to it and mark the month and year.

wilderness medic i,m just concerned about botulisim have yo ate any of these say after
    a month or so? how long do you planto store these meals before eating them.?
    i too have vaccumed sealed my own dehydrated meals but i started out with ALL dried ingredients.
    trying to replecate some of the meals i,ve ate that were factory made.

also many types of pasta require at least 2 qt,size freezer ziplocs no generic ok? turn them inside out so when you vaccum seal them the
    seals on the ziplocs arent sealed as well allownig air to be trapped inside the bags. i say 2 ziplocks cause the sharp edeges and
    points of rice and various pastas will poke thru just one bag and your vaccum bag too.

I've store dehydrated food for months. I've never vacuum sealed anything. Dry it and toss it in a ziplock. Bacteria will only grow if there is water present. Since it's dehydrated bacteria can't grow.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    wilderness medic i,m just concerned about botulisim have yo ate any of these say after
    a month or so? how long do you planto store these meals before eating them.?
    i too have vaccumed sealed my own dehydrated meals but i started out with ALL dried ingredients.
    trying to replecate some of the meals i,ve ate that were factory made.
    Yes. Thanks for your concern, but this is fine. It's not something I randomly made up. It is tried and true, by thousands of backpackers.

https://survivalacres.com/shop/conte...ood-shelf-life

Even at room temperature it will last 5 years. With better care up to 40. Nothing will be lasting even a year before it's eaten and rotated.

"While most bacteria cannot survive at a low pH, some proteins such as in soy and beef have protective agents that allow them to grow at pH < 4.5. Low water activity inhibits the growth of C. botulinum, which is why dehydrated foods and foods high in salt and/or sugar do not support its growth." -Preventing foodborne illnesses.

So I used parchment paper on this batch with much higher success. Only 1/7 bags failed with the paper protection and it was due to a seam not puncture.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html