Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Gerber knives?

Default How do you feel about Gerber knives?

I've been hearing a lot of good and bad things about gerber lately. If you have had good or bad experiences, post below abou them or just share your opinion on the brand. Personally, I carry a gerber and it has served pretty well for me. I have heard other people complaining about the blade being 420 HC. I don't know much about this steel (or many others), but hopefully someone who knows a little more can explain it. So all that being said, let the discussion begin.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Gerber used to make a quality product, then started outsourcing materials from China.
    I don't have any experience with the latest offerings, however about 5 years ago I bought a small folder called the parasomething or other, and it wasn't that great of a knife. I think it now resides in a toolbox somewhere.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Outsourcing to China has little to do with quality. A company establishes the bar on quality. If their specs are lowered then the quality will drop. Most commercial knives made today are made some place other than the U.S. Not all, but most. As for Gerber, I've always had good luck with them. they've always been pretty innovative and price competitive. I was less than happy when they signed Bear on but every company needs a marketing schtick.

And lots of their knives are made in Portland.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Like a lot of companies like Craftsman and some of the others, they don't have the quality that they used to.

Have a Mark I boot knife from years ago. Quality knife. Purchased a Gerber "Sikes/Fairbourne" folder and was disappointed in quality. Blade will fold up on you after it is supposed to be locked.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    Have a Mark I boot knife from years ago. Quality knife. Purchased a Gerber "Sikes/Fairbourne" folder and was disappointed in quality. Blade will fold up on you after it is supposed to be locked.

How long is the blade on that folder. That's a knife that was meant for sentry dispatch along the super-sternal or sub-sternal knotch. Not really a folder job. that should have like a 12" blade. LOL

Carried the Gerber mp600 multitool in the military and used it for a good while after. Only time it failed was when I used it the wrong way and tried to pry something I shouldn't have.

I have a paraframe folder. It's about 3 yrs old great knife was an edc till I lost it! Found it about 3 months later. In my truck! You know when I vacuumed it for the 2nd time... Also have a fixed blade about 4 yrs old again I can't say anything bad.

Go with ESEE, Kabar, Ontario, Beckers, and Moras and you won't go wrong. I've got a few Gerbers and none of them would hold up to what the others I've mentioned will do !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Thanks for the advice and experiences guys. I just orderd a mora last night and it should be here by Friday. Super excited!
    -Thomas Jefferson

Batch, it has a 3 inch blade and is a folder. Has Sikes/Fairbourne scrolled on the blade. I bought it as a "hide out" knife for my back pocket. Very light and opens one handed. I will put it in the next tack sale we have. Cheap. I am familiar with the original Sikes/Fairburne fighting knife.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I have a Gerber multitool that I bought about 16-17 years ago (I think its a Scout) and it still works well. I also have a Clutch multitool that a got a few years back. Cant say I like it that much. It's flimsy and alot of the tools on it are mere suggestions of the intended function. Useful as light duty pliers only.

Cant say much about the newer stuff.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Gerber. Lost my trusty gerber some time ago and looked at other knives. The ones made in the US were too pricey for a kick-around knife so I went back to gerber. Even the Camillus knives are now made in China. My replacement is also a gerber. It's a paraframe one-hander with a pocket clip. Sharpens easy, holds an edge fairly well, and is easy to clean. I'm satisfied with it, I just wish it was made in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by abfarmboy View Post
    I have a paraframe folder. It's about 3 yrs old great knife was an edc till I lost it! Found it about 3 months later. In my truck! You know when I vacuumed it for the 2nd time... Also have a fixed blade about 4 yrs old again I can't say anything bad.
    Same story here. I picked up a Paraframe at Bass Pro a few years ago. It was a great EDC knife and a favorite for summer camping. I lost it abouf a year and a half ago and my wife bought me a new one this past summer. Of course the old one recently showed up and is now back on duty. Most of the camo finish has worn off but other than that it's been a great knife. One of the better under $40 folders I've owned.

Had a paraframe and profile and never liked either. I gave both away. I now refuse to buy a knife with mystery steel too. Gerber won't tell you what steel they r using except on select knives. Reason I did not like it was paraframe was uncomfortable to me and did not hold an edge. The profile was ok but the sheath sucked I and I never could put mynfinger on it but it performed well but I just did not like I guess we should say the profile
    Last edited by loki; 12-27-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Only Gerber products I have used is the multi tools. I have one that is about 14 years old. A few years ago, I did break the knife blade on it. I called for the part which they won't do. You have to send it in to them. The nice thing is all it costs is shipping to them. The repaired it and actually refurbished the entire thing and included a new sheath and then sent it back. All at no cost. The only complaint was it took them 4 months. That is a long time to go without something that you are used to carrying on a daily basis. But service has been good.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My paraframe II is not bad. It stays tensioned for months between adjustments and holds an edge decently, which is to say better than any other folder I've had in the price range I paid for it. I'm not sure I'd pay MSRP for many of their products but this one I might, had I not found it on clearance.

I've owned and gotten good performance from several of their products. It isn't all junk.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I own one gerber, it is a folding knife that takes a Stanley replacement blade. It's a handy knife.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Ive got the game cleaning kit with the packaxe with small caper knife in handle bone saw folding saw and folding skinner with gut hook.....sadly due to my surgeries this summer i didnt hunt this fall only thing ive used is folding saw and axe