Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7th Annual Jamboree

Default 7th Annual Jamboree

OK so I have been preaching to the choir about getting folks to come to the Jamboree. How about we get some suggestions as to where folks would like to have the next one. We have an entire year to plan so folks cannot say I did not have time to schedule the time off. We have been doing this around the 3rd weekend of October so that we can enjoy the fall foliage and it is not so darn hot with lots of bugs. So folks let's get to thinking about some places we might want to consider.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have now been to 4 jamborees and we have not been to a "bad place" yet.

Group camps in any of the State or National Parks seem well suited to our diverse needs.

This last one was really a fantastic site., but so was last year, and the year before......

Strangely enough, if we stick to the last full weekend of Oct we have good weather too. We got a little drizzle in '13, but nothing major.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have only been to 2 due to some health issues but it is a great time. Let's put our thinking caps on and find another great site. I think bathrooms and showers are pretty essential as we are not survival camping but going for car camping which means we do bring creature comforts.

I've really wanted to attend the last three years; but, similar to what BornthatWay mentioned above, reconstructive surgeries and work schedule have been getting in the way. All the choices we make, and the actions we take, are a reflection of our real priorities. Unfortunately, physical health and a living wage have taken priority over the pleasure and fun of making it to the Jamboree. That said, I'm going to keep putting future Jamborees on the to-do list and work maneuver the old body and the old work schedule to allow the Jamboree to take first place on the priority list for the few days needed.

For next year, how about Rick's back yard? If not there, I think Crash has already proven to have a good sense of what makes a good Jamboree location.

Yes Crash has done a great job and I agree he makes a great organizer for the Jamboree.

Quote Originally Posted by BornthatWay View Post
    Yes Crash has done a great job and I agree he makes a great organizer for the Jamboree.
    Yes he does....and he like trees with colors,....hill mountains and valleys...and other picture taking subject stuff.

We already have next year on the to do list.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Obviously me too H63.

My preference as H noted is mountains and fall colors, but that is only the preference of one person. I've been to all six and have had a wonderful time at each. I'm planning on being there.

TJ - our first one was in Indiana.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The mountains are fine for me. I love fall. If we found the one this time we should be able to get any other place.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    My preference as H noted is mountains and fall colors, but that is only the preference of one person. I've been to all six and have had a wonderful time at each. I'm planning on being there.

TJ - our first one was in Indiana.
    I wasn't serious with my first suggestion, Crash. I was just trying to good-naturedly yank Rick's chain. I was picturing a dozen people camping in his backyard, literally...using his bathroom...raiding his refrigerator...etc.

I, too, would prefer mountains or rolling hills, water, and fall colors.

Is it always on the east coast? Ever come in west more?

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Is it always on the east coast? Ever come in west more?
    So far we've done...
    Indiana
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Kentucky/Virginia
    North Carolina
    North Carolina
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Once some of y'all get a little tired of winter we can always do one down in my neck of the woods.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That would be good....Up for that.......looks like y'all are getting cold weather right now.......

Off in the distance......"Honey, gotta go pack that dinosaur gun, Crash says ....come on down".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Once some of y'all get a little tired of winter we can always do one down in my neck of the woods.
    I vote Florida! Been trying to plan a dive trip down there for a while with some buddies. Would give me another excuse to spend the money on a plane ticket and car.

The Tot Clan is in for next year, life and circumstances permitting.

Just another thought. The Natchez Trail has some places in central TN. Seems like plenty of camping, parks, recreation, historic sites, etc. It is about where North meets South and is 300mi further West than the last two but is still obtainable by those on the East Coast. Thinking that this might draw in some from KS, MO, AR, OK, East TX, MS and AL.

Just brainstorming.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

That sounds like a good place that has many options for folks with things to do.

Thought I'd bump this thread up. Time to start making plans.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Would love to attend this year! I know the last few have been more centralized to make it easier for more members to be able to attend, and I understand that. The thing is for me with work responsibilities, family commitments, as well as local/ civic responsibilities ( travel costs also figure in a bit as well) It would be nice if we could have something a bit closer like the first one.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.