Thread: Parasol Mushroom? New Member!

Default Parasol Mushroom? New Member!

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and wanted to start my first post with pics of mushroom patch I found on my property today... Unfortunately for the time being I'll have to stick with only introducing myself, as I cannot figure out how to include pics (I got to choosing the file on my phone but it says an error occurred).

My name is David- 48, and recently moved to the Red Bluff area of Northern California.
    All my life I've been the outdoorsy type / backpacker / traveler. Always enjoyed wild foods but never knew anything about mushrooms, even tho I do like eating them! Now I've decided to learn.
    Found online about a half-dozen types I will be looking for in the Sierra meadows, and in the hills over towards the Pacific Coast, and in the mean time of course- studying, studying, studying.

As for the mushrooms I found.... The area is mixed pine / oak woodland but the mushrooms are growing in mulchy wood chips- soil around a plum tree I planted.
    I'm pretty sure I've got the I.D correct but one diagnostic is a little different than in the literature: The stem does not have a reticulated pattern on the surface. Instead it's smooth creamy white, which does occur on the Shaggy Parasol (the caps on my examples look like the Parasol Mushroom).

Anyway, hope I can get some pictures up to show you all.
    Thanks!

p.s. I won't be eating them until I know more :-)

Hello and welcome. You will be able to post pictures after your 10th post. It's an automated feature of the forum that helps us drastically cut down on spam.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home.

Thanks for the welcome!

My original question concerning this mushroom was what variety of Parasol, or Shaggy Parasol they are.
    But since it has features not exactly corresponding to those in the literature, I searched for other similar types.
    I found:
    Macrolepiota procera (Parasol)
    Chlorophyllum molybdites (Green-gill Parasol- toxic)

Chlorophyllum rachodes (Shaggy Parasol)
    Chlorophyllum olivieri
    Chlorophyllum brunneum

Also deadly look-alikes:
    Lepiota echenella (var. Rhodorhizza)
    Lepiota castanea
    Lepiota brunneoincarnata

I'm fairly convinced mine falls under the Shaggy Parasol heading (C. olivieri), however with a slight difference.

However, after reading through other posts here, a more relevant question is:
    Am I on the right forum for discussing the finer points of wild mushrooms??
    Bit miffed, I cannot post pics. Kinda defeats the purpose, right?

Anyway if I am in the wrong place for more technical discussion, can anyone suggest an alternative website?

Thanks a lot.

Get your post count up to 10 so you can post pictures of it. A few of us know our mushrooms. Haven't seen Canid in a while but he seems to know his stuff pretty well.

Sadly the only good site I know of for mushrooms is centered around illegal ones. You can go there and get IDs from very knowledgeable experts, but the whole site is focused on illegal things, and other drugs. If you don't mind I can point you to it. I go there for confirmations on new species I want to eat, and it works good. But if you post anything relating to regular edible mushrooms, don't expect a quick reply if any. I've had a post sitting there for well over a week asking about how to protect an outdoor grow of edible mushrooms for over a week. Ask a question about growing illegal mushrooms and you'll get a reply in 15 minutes. But, unfortunately every other forum i've seen seems to have 4 members and doesn't do much to help...

There is Mushroomobserver as well, but it's not like an open forum to post pictures and ask questions.
    Last edited by wilderness medic; 11-05-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Thank you very much.

I know the site you're referring to I believe, it does look like there are many many members.
    I wouldn't mind posting there but as you say their main focus isn't with edible fungi, my issue being (as with most online resources for any subject)- inaccurate information from the well meaning but inexperienced or less knowledgeable.
    Misguided information can get one into a heap of trouble.

I've written the Santa Cruz chapter of a mycoflora organization, hopefully I'll get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Thank you very much.

I know the site you're referring to I believe, it does look like there are many many members.
    I wouldn't mind posting there but as you say their main focus isn't with edible fungi, my issue being (as with most online resources for any subject)- inaccurate information from the well meaning but inexperienced or less knowledgeable.
    Misguided information can get one into a heap of trouble.

I've written the Santa Cruz chapter of a mycoflora organization, hopefully I'll get a response.

Although their main focus is illegal mushrooms, in a sense wild edible mushrooms in their focus, just mainly ones you don't want.

They will ID every mushroom and mold, and I fully trust their judgement (look for the people with the "Trusted Identifier" tag). I have met some of the people on that site from going to the Mycological Society of San Francisco seminars and meets. They are (mostly) not just druggies on a computer, just make sure you get multiple confirmations from "Trusted Identifiers". Other people can chime in and ID, and no one has maliciously mis ID'd. If they don't know or aren't 100%, they will tell you that, and not just throw a name at you.

First off, do a spore print to see what colour you get. You want whitish cream NOT green. Eliminating Chlorophyllum molybdites straight away is important.