Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Blankets

Blog Entries

Default Space Blankets

I am in the practice of trying something out before commiting it to a kit. Well I got around to trying out a Spaceblanket last night. It wasnt that cold, about 20 f. During the day I made a nice Aframe shelter. I scraped away what snow was on the ground and use one of my foam sleeping mats as a ground cover. At 2200 I went out to the shelter behind the house, unfolded the Spaceblanket and crawled into the shelter, wrapped myself in the blanket and tried to go to sleep. Long about 0100 I was shivering so bad I couldnt hardly crawl out of the shelter. I went into the house and made a cup of tea and wrapped up in a wool blanket. After a bit I started warming up and fell asleep.

Space Blankets are light weight and compact. However I dont think I will be depending on it to keep me alive over night in anything under about 40f. This is just my Opinion based on my experience with this item. I hope my experiment helps someone deside whether or not to carry or use one.

Thanks for the report on your field test. It does sound like it did some good. How do you think having a fire outside your shelter would have changed the equation?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I had built the wrong type of shelter to take advantage of a fire, however a fire would surely have improved things a bit.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Thanks. Any information is more than you had so it's always good and I appreciate you sharing it. I carry a survival blanket. I would think it's reflective qualities would work best in front of a fire but I also thought it might be enough to conserve your body heat. Obviously, it doesn't.

Still, I would rather have it with me than not. Knowing that it does little to help with body heat I might be inclined to incorporate it as a reflecting wall in a lean to. Perhaps it would help reflect the heat from a fire in that way or.....wrapped up over a Dakota fire pit or recessed fire pit. Just a couple of thoughts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I have a Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivysak and fleece blanket that I carry when hunting. I have used it several times and it works pretty good. I have a small tarp that I use with it. I lay the tarp out, get in the bivy with the fleece then pull the other half of the tarp over me. I have only used it in 40degree weather though.

This is the one in my bag. I'm with rick, would rather have it than not. I've only used one, one time but had it as a lean to with a small fire. (Didn't use this one though)

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...itNO=0140-0701
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Banned
    Blog Entries

KIKAK, Think about that 14 year old in the helicopter crash Tuesday.

Banned
    Blog Entries

We use the space blanket as a signal devise to the bush pilot, for when were ready for extraction.

Does anyone use an elephants foot...????

Hmmm. What is it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Scarry thought hopeak, I'm glad they got him out alive. It must have been rough in that chopper all night. Poor kid. I think in that situation having anything would have been a blessing. September 27, 2006 I shattered my right lower leg in an ATV accident while moose hunting. My hunting buddy went for help. I layed there in the rain covered with my tarp for about 4 hours. It was miserable. I cried with joy when I heard the Lifeguard chopper comming.

I had to look the story up. I hadn't heard it on the news down here.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/379362.html

Banned
    Blog Entries

Elephants foot is a very short sleeping bag that comes to your waist. It is used by Mountain climbers in conjunction with a super parka. We have used this on spring bear hunts where it is daylight all but 4 hours. It allows one to hunt till 11:30 PM and not go back to camp as the sun will be up at 3:30 AM; so we just sleep on top of what ever hill or mountain we are glassing from.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Elephants foot is a very short sleeping bag that comes to your waist. It is used by Mountain climbers in conjunction with a super parka. We have used this on spring bear hunts where it is daylight all but 4 hours. It allows one to hunt till 11:30 PM and not go back to camp as the sun will be up at 3:30 AM; so we just sleep on top of what ever hill or mountain we are glassing from.
    Sure am glad you cleared that up. I was thinking....man! what a waste of a perfectly good elephant.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

One note of caution with space blankets you really need to make sure they are the ones with the ripstop in them. They cost more but as a space blanket with a large rip or tear in it is far less desireable they are worth it. The one Tahyo linked to looks like are pretty good one.

Hopeak - I've never seen them. Is that something you acquire locally? Do you have a site that sells them? I tried to google elephant foot and all these ads for elephant shoes came up.

I would like to see a pic if you have a site.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, I would look under sleeping bags. It is a type or style bag like a mummy, or semi-mummy bag. I am awful at finding stuff on the internet. The other option would be a childs sleeping bag. I have no Idea why it is called an elephants foot.

We would have got them from Eddie Bauer or some mail order as this was back in the 70's.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-19-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

RICK, Type in : elephants foot sleeping bag

I found them on yahoo search. But I am not smart enough to import the site.

Found it!! Here's a link if anyone else is interested.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/sleeping_bag_akula.html

Thanks, Hopeak!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

We would keep our boots on, so it was a good idea to have two heavy duty stuff sacks with the elephants foot, or the vibram soles trashed the bags.

I still have my Eddie Bauer "MAX EXPEDITION" down parka. Now days you can not buy one half as good of a parka at any price.