Thread: Traveling Guns

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Traveling Guns

Been traveling during the past week and found myself swapping guns in and out of the vehicle for the specific trip.

Fortunately every state I traveled through honors my CCW. Otherwise I probably would not have made the trip.

Strange how the mind develops a hundred different "what if" scenarios while one is packing for a trip.

What I carry in the vehicle near home was not what I chose to carry for a cross country trip in the southeastern US, and my EDC was also swapped out. Durable low cost hardware is the hallmark of my "truck guns", but in a long distance trip where I am going to have the vehicle in sight, and home is a long way from where I am, I wanted the "good stuff" at hand.

Due to the situation and circumstances I was entering, the normal Mosin Nagant was swapped for a very specialized shotgun and the PF9 was left in the gunsafe and a .45acp took its place.

Strangely enough, I decided that the 9mm TT33, that is mounted on the gear shift console and covered by a bandana, would remain in place in spite of me owning "better" guns.

Had I been traveling into the western states, or the southwest I am sure I would have chosen differently for the longer ranges, bigger bears and such.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Take 'em all!!!!!! That is, the ones not lost in the canoe mishap.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I have given that some thought as Illinois is on my go south route almost always.

So the cased shot gun rides along, as does the CC LCP in the Vacation Go bag (always packed)....front seat carry, LCR, is cased and place in a lock box with-in certain states.

I don't change out or carry a long gun after the tragic canoe accident......Just different ammo for the 12 ga....although if I'm pulling the trailer....there may or may not be an SKS riding along........

Then again maybe not........?????
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-31-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Beware of the man that only carries one gun as he most likely knows how to use it very well ! Pick one and stick with it.....
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Beware of the man that only carries one gun as he most likely knows how to use it very well ! Pick one and stick with it.....
    Might be better to "Beware of the wife of the man that only carries one gun, she has him firmly under control........."

Just sayin'..........LOL

"Does the pink one go with my shoes?"

For pistols I usually don't change them out (normally carry two on trips), but do change out my magazine and ammunition quantity. For anything else - whatever mood strikes me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Might be better to "Beware of the wife of the man that only carries one gun, she has him firmly under control........."

Just sayin'..........LOL

"Does the pink one go with my shoes?"
    My wife (if you want to call her that) lives 15 miles away ! <grin>
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sorry Lamewolf but the "one gun" thing went out the window way back when I discovered I needed two different BB guns!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I carry an old beat up 9MM Glock 19 when I go to big cities. Anywhere else I take my Colt .357. I figure if the old Glock gets stolen or confiscated I haven't lost much although it does shoot good and never miss fires or jams.

Ahh, the embarrassment of riches!
    You guys don't understand what it's like to make do...that's like being piss poor in the gun world. (due to the laws)

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Ahh, the embarrassment of riches!
    You guys don't understand what it's like to make do...that's like being piss poor in the gun world. (due to the laws)
    You are correct we are spoiled to death.......
    "Lets see, shall I bring the Glock?....or the Sig?....but that little LCP carries so nice, don't even know it's there............"
    Or
    "Hummm....Long range gun, middle range gun, brush gun.....What shall I carry today?

MF had a Crescent Arms single shot 12 ga......later a Winchester Model 12, 16 ga....and a Savage M099 303 that was my GF's till he died.
    That was it, truck gun, bird gun, and deer rifle......and he would wonder why I have or..... ahem...had a FEW? more than that.

Then again what do old guys know?......LOL

I do know, B and I cherish my state for preserving our rights. I can go just about anywhere and carry just about anything. I wish all of you could do the same.

B ---- I'm FROM New Jersey. I know it all too well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I do know, B and I cherish my state for preserving our rights. I can go just about anywhere and carry just about anything. I wish all of you could do the same.
    I'm right next door to you, and the same goes over here as well. There are a few gun laws I'd like to see changed a bit, but nothing that makes life too inconvenient.

Per the OP, I do carry different things for different situations. Even conceal carry varies by just what I wear. I prefer small semi-autos in the warmer temps, large semi-autos in the colder temps, a .357mag revolver for the woods, and I might have one or two things in the trunk. Things tend to accumulate during hunting season especially. I'm with you though, different jobs do require different tools.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I chose to bring a grumpy wife. "The devil went down to Georgia", her name is...
    Just joking. I brought an 870, HK.40 and a snub .38